Would you motorize this??

GoldenMotor.com

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Hello I just picked up a new bike yesterday, and I am debating on if I should motorize it. I just want to get feedback on what others would do. What I have is a 25th anniversary Redline Rain City Chopper. I guess that there were only 1500 made, and this is #1199. I really want to motorize it, but something is telling me no. I put a motor next to it and it looked really small. If motorized I would probably have to go with a morini, or something diff. What would you do? To view more pics of this bike,Redline Rain City Chopper 25th anniversary pictures by SBMotorBicyling - Photobucket And to see a couple videos on it YouTube - rkorson42098's Channel

Attachments

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I probably would. I think it would look good, but that center support tube looks like it would be in the way. If it's not in the way, motor it up!

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Hi
In my opinion ,no. But I would probebly try to copy it and use some of the belt drive and size ideas.I do like that they made the triple tree steering so that it would steer properly ,like a bike.

robertgibbs

Mar 1, 2010
oklahoma city oklahoma
It looks on the frame type as the bike i have and im trying to figure out how to chop it. so i say yes if you know how if you can, could you tell me how you would mount the engine

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
I don't think i will motor it, there are only 1500 made, and from what i hear there are way lees now. I rode her today for the first time, and she rode smooth with the belt

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You could add electric power without compromising the value of your rare bike.
That frame will allow you to mount a lot of batteries very low in the frame.

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
just do it. i dont think the bike will rase in value because there are only 1,500. Besides the thing looks like a chopper, let her feel like a chopper.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It does kind of look like it wants a motor. If you were twelve, would you want it with or without a motor? There you go... treat the kid in you right since nobody else will.
SB

Shrek

Aug 17, 2010
Portland
I just got a Raincity chopper. I really wanna motorize it. I like the all black motor in the pic. Did you just paint that yourself or did you get it like that?

My biggest concern for motorizing this bike its the tank. Obviously I can't just use the plastic tank (which was disappointing when I found out.) and I really don't want to put a different tank cuz this one fits the style of the bike and all. So I've decided on there are 3 different routes I can take.

I can motorize my bike and put the gas tank somewhere else (possible disguised as an oil can).
Or I carve out the inside of my tank using it as a shell for a smaller and actually useable tank.
Or I can go electric.

If there are any other options I'm all ears. Please send suggestions it really helps, thank you.

SAYNONOW

Aug 14, 2010
S.C.
Bikes like those aren't ergonomical at all, and shouldn't be rode for long distances. If you want to get your use out of the thing, fugg it put a motor on it. Plus things with motors are way cooler than things without, so if at all it would be worth more.

Shrek

Aug 17, 2010
Portland
Totally. I'm definitely going to motorize it, just need to figure out the best way.
Where did you get that all black motor? Did you get it like that or did you paint it your self?

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Quick, fast, and in a hurry! I would also not use a china girl, I would do some minor cutting and put one of the honda 50 clones with a 4 speed. However that would require a certificate of origin and license to drive at that point. I'd do it though.

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Totally. I'm definitely going to motorize it, just need to figure out the best way.
Where did you get that all black motor? Did you get it like that or did you paint it your self?
Sorry I haven't been on in awhile. The motor is one of the BGF limiteds with dual start and cent. clutch. I paint all my motors with dupli color engine enamel. No I dont think im gonna motorize this one, that pic with the motor next to it was to shoow a friend how small the motor looks next to the bike, and how it would look silly with a china girl. If I were you i seriously wouldnt motor it. It is rare and ppl will offer alot of $$ for it, not if its messed up from a motor and gas. I have had a few offers on mine already. If you really have to i would do a electric set up.

Shrek

Aug 17, 2010
Portland
I looked around and its typically around 1,000 used. I got it in mint condition for 500. The whole reason I got it was to motorize it in the first place. Right now I'm thinking I'll convert a motorcycle oil pan into a functional gas tank for my bicycle. That way I don't take anything from the bike but just added to it.

The kid I bought this from said Raincity choppers actually sells the motor mounts for these bikes but every time I look it up I can't find it, does anyone know anything about that?

Shrek

Aug 17, 2010
Portland
I definitely want to motorize it. My roommate says to take the mock gas tank but think it would be better to use an oil can from a motorcycle as the gas tank and leave the mock tank cuz it fits the style.

I live in sw Portland near Ross island bridge and work next to the Broadway bridge. Waterfront is a straight rout for me to get to work so I rode my Redline Raincity chopper to work. It's a big pain in ass even on level ground, forget about going up anything. It rides really low so I need more momentum then normal just to get going, with a motor that shouldn't be a problem anymore I believe. Also you've gotta be really careful if your going on the side walk. It kept bottoming out at the lil incline and decline at the corners where the cross walk is.

So I've got Questions
1) Does anyone know where or how I can get the motor mount Redline/ Raincity choppers made for this thing?
2) is it possible to concert a motor cycle oil can into a gas tank for my bicycle?
3) Whats the real going rate for this bike? And would it gain value or lose it if it were motorized