Best kit bolt on Trike conversions for motorizing?

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hi Trikers.
This is my first foray over here to trike land, but since I have had two requests for trike builds this week I figure you guys are the ones to ask.

It looks like there are a couple of kits for bolting an axle to a bike like this...

Handy with the disc brake and all, and with a jackshaft it would work, but noting for a direct motor drive, or with gears to make a Jackshaft worth doing.

Any idea's?

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
There are as you mention several kits of this general description. The one in your picture uses a 15mm axle. Others use 5/8" (about 16mm) or even 3/4" (about 19mm).

For motorizing purposes, bigger axles are better, and inch diameters are better (more choice of industrial sprockets, collars, etc.)

There is another "Schwinn style" trike adapter that uses one front and one rear bicycle wheel instead of special trike wheels. The drive axle still runs inside a tube. But you might be able to widen the "front" wheel side a bit and use a rear wheel with a rack mount type drive. Note that this type of kit is specific to a wheel size, so if you want to use 26" wheels, you have to get a 26" kit:

Only trikes that use exposed axles running in pillow block bearings (like Worksman Adaptable trikes or Main Street pedicabs) allow very much latitude for attaching drive components along the axle.

Chalo

IamTheBear

Oct 6, 2010
north florida
could the front/middle jack shaft hub swaped for a multi speed one flip the rear axle to to line up sprockets and use a disc brake hub to use a top hat sprocket adapter?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I looked at the bolt on kits for regular bikes and though they may be dandy for a light duty bike and easy use, they won't cut it for this project.

I have a customer that wants a Custom Motorized Recumbent Tandem.

The wife has MS and can't operate much or stay on regular bike seat, but needs to work her leg at her own pace and husband doesn't want to have to pedal them along.
They have had this...

But like this...

And though it has been suggested mount a 4-stroke above the rear wheel, that would put the motor just inches away from wifie's head.

(cont below)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
(cont from above)

I like the idea of an electric start 4-stroke, but it has to be in back and under the rider.

I am think a custom like this...

But not the 2-stroke there under the seat, it would be back farther, maybe over the axle, but below the rear riders head.

In this case, hubby would pilot from the front, wife would control the pedal gearing, the motor would have it's own gears and connect separate from the pedals and husband would control that.

This will obviously need a custom rear axle and it can't be wimpy.

This Sun EZ3 USX HD bike has the right idea.

'The EZ-3 USX HD provides all the stability and control available in recumbent trike technology while offering a little more thrill. And when we say HD we mean heavy duty, with 110 psi tires, 48 spoke wheels and double wall rims, this trike will handle 400 pounds. Setting this trike apart from others is its low center of gravity attained by three 20-inch wheels that are cambered in the rear to increase cornering stability. Also the EZ-3 USX HD offers three wheel brakes, mid-frame Suspension and under-the- seat steering.'

I think that design with the pedals driving one wheel and the 4-stroke driving the other would be perfect for a custom setup like I propose.

Any thoughts on this?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Just an update...

The plan is in place and the customer bought two of these Sun EZ-3 USX HD recumbent trikes this week.

Trailing the back bike with a dual pivot fork mount is nothing.

That one is ungainly to say the least, but the basics are simple enough.

And as I thought, leaving the geared right pedal drive axle intact will work dandy with a left axle motor drive shaft and there is a kit for that for this bike.

(cont below)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
(continued)

But the 4-stroke motor mount and gear box is, ummm, let's just say there is room for improvement.

With a little ingenuity I think I can get the 49cc 4-stroke motor over the rear axle, add some gears, and mount the fork hitch so the trailer bike is nice and close.

I'll know soon enough as I mentioned, the customer went over to my local bike shop, tried one, and bought two.

Any thoughts on a custom gear setup maybe using a 5 speed hub shifter in the tranny?
Low speed power with a small motor is the main goal as it's a big heavy load.

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
Nice looking set up , hey KC have you considered a front wheel friction drive for this . Seems like it would work better since he will be basically towing another bike

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Actually in his last setup he used a front bike, front wheel $900 electric motor, still has it, but it's a lot of weight to pull and rather user unfriendly as far as looks and operation go.
Low, slow, but powerful is what they need.

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
I missed that, i think in your first picture there is a hub mounted electric motor on it ?

Heer are a few ideas for mounts and engines.

http://motorbicycling.com/f44/sfelands-recumbent-conversion-3447.html

This would be for like a GEBE set up
Atomic Zombie DIY Bikes, Recumbents, Trikes, Choppers, Velos and Tandems Plans: Motorized StreetFox recumbent trike - Atomiczombie.com builder forum

http://motorbicycling.com/f44/my-new-lwb-recumbent-commuter-7931.html

you know after looking over some pictures and doing a google search a GEBE engine mounting system may be your best bet ?Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I missed that, i think in your first picture there is a hub mounted electric motor on it ?
Thanks for great links bud.
It is all a moot point for now though.

After 30+ hours of time on his custom project he is just going to use his electric motor and didn't gime so much as a thank you let alone give me a cent for my time.

The cost of doing business I guess.
Sometimes you get that, but at least sharing the mechanics of the project will help me and hopefully others in the future.

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
wow KC, Its so frustrating at times when someone does not feel they owe you for the time you spent on there project.Just chalk this up as a learning curve so next time when a new potential customer comes to you with a project , make it clear how much it will cost in advance.