Cool old(?) three wheeler!

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Head badge says Tomahawk, but google never heard of it.
Anyone out there know anything about it?
The good: Very heavy duty frame contruction with nice large axle and three pillow block bearings. Big cargo area, nice drum brake front hub.
Very nice rims with huge spokes and good hubs, nice three speed hub jackshaft, one wheel slipper for steering.
The bad: One wasted rim, fixable I think, 3 flats, no tubes, no front brake cable, no brake stay in front. Coaster brake on jackshaft for rear wheels.
Pics:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Nothing I can find mentions the brand at all. No images look right either...
As far as the hub, I guess it must not be too old since it has the twistgrip style shifter rather than the older lever. Thanks for the input SB, at least I know it's not vintage.
It belongs to someone else, but I'm pushing for a motor....:)
Might end up in my stable if Santa is nice. (but I doubt it)

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Well, got the rim fixed by swapping it with the front. I figure it's better to have a matched pair on the axle and a regular front.
Simple swap by replacing one spoke at a time in the new rim laid on top.

Then cut off the taco with an angle grinder.
Owner came by with a pair of old Tecumseh hs-40's, one with rear exhaust, one with side. Offered me the rear exhaust for building him the trike with the other.
After a look inside, I'd say I got a good deal! This engine is brand NEW inside! Still has original bore crosshatching from factory hone.
If I had to guess, I'd say it has run minutes at most.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Trike looks like an easy build. I'm thinking a belt drive with a manual tensioner to act as a clutch for simple, reliable fun.

The engine on the right is mine for building the trike, the engine on the left is for the trike.

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
That's my take. I get a sweet mill and the build should be fairly easy...assuming he actually ponies up for the drivetrain parts!
I've had issues in the past with people who think all you do is bolt the motor on the frame and it's done....
Am I a bad person for hoping he forgets about the drum hub with the huge spokes left after the rim swap? I don't FEEL bad....

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nope, not bad. You are doing him a favor, cleaning up the leftovers so he doesn't have to throw them away himself. It is like cleaning up the crumbs after the doughnut is gone. You're just tidying up.
SB

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm tidying up! I never thought of it that way...he's lucky I don't charge him a fee for recycling his valuable "scrap" like everyone else does these days...
heh heh.
Seriously.
I'm keeping the hub.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
To be perfectly honest, I could not figure out how to get the rim off at first so it seemed the easy way out. Now I know that side hub is screwed onto the axle.
But it IS the easy way to relace a hub.
Much less confusion about which spoke goes where when you have the rim laying on top.
This works just as well on the bench.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
UPDATE:
The trike owner came and got his trike, traded it for a gokart, which he wanted me to get running...for about 10 minutes until his buddy brought him a new 212!
So what it boils down to is:
I get to keep the Tecumseh just for fixing the rim!
WIN!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
:) Yup. That baby is going on SOMETHING although I will probably use those HUGE spokes to build myself a bulletproof (and fat guy resistant) back wheel.