New to building. I am making my first motorized drift trike

GoldenMotor.com

webn237

Dec 7, 2014
WISCONSIN
I am new to all this stuff. I am in the process of building and fabricating a drift trike... anyone have any tips of all?

And a couple more questions
I have a 5 hp briggs and stratton motor off a rototiller and was wondering if and how you run a aftermarket air filter on them?

And the other question I have is the gas tank on it is full of rust. Its not rusted through but just really rusty. I already tried bbs and gas. It cleaned some of it out but it still has alot in there. Opinions?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Some gravel shaken about for a couple of minutes will take off all the loose stuff. Wash out thoroughly with petrol or paraffin after. Gas or kerosene to non English speakers. :)

Check for holes while you're washing it out, you might reveal some.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nuts (the kind that fit on bolts) also work well for knocking the rust loose. Post pictures of what you're up to. We like pictures! It also helps us understand better what's what. Good luck with your project.
SB

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Keep an eye on the front end geometry...it looks to me like your setup has the forks laid back pretty far. This is what those people are talking about. It might affect handling, especially since you are ALWAYS countersteering on a drift trike.

A 20" front end has better geometry as a trike. Yours CAN work (and WILL work as is), but needs to be much closer to the original bicycle geometry for best steering.
Talk to those trike dudes. They have all this stuff worked out already....

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Before you clean the tank check the carb pickup tubes they may be cloged and need replacing. If that is the case you might be better off with a different carb............Curt