New tandem build, from the old tandem.....

GoldenMotor.com

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I been watching the pics with the one wheel and cannot figure witch end of that two man motorized unicycle your putting the wheel on,lol

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I been watching the pics with the one wheel and cannot figure witch end of that two man motorized unicycle your putting the wheel on,lol
I can't figure that out either, thus front, rear and the next pic you see it will be on the front again.......very confusing laff

Actually it was the front wheel that I laced up for the 24" suspension fork that I threw on it for DR, now I'm just using it as a reference as the 2 new wheels for the tandem will be 24" instead of the 26" that came on it originally. That wheel won't even be used on this build, but that tire most definetly will be....it's awesome for asphalt or concrete.

It will be a unicycle of such though......only one set of pedals and cranks and one tire per rider rotfl

dnut

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Man I gotta fix that, don't want this info falling into the wrong hands laff

Do you know how hard it was to bend that 6061 T6 upper engine bracket without a hydrolic brake or press?

dnut

I tryed and tryed and it keeps reappearing every time I ckick the link,lol

Last edited by a moderator:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
pretty easy if you put it on the train track at rush hour when all the trains go through,lol

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
pretty easy if you put it on the train track at rush hour when all the trains go through,lol
Believe me, I seriously thought about that option.....it's some seriously tough aluminum laff

I ended up taking advantage of a huge steam roller that was flattening out the newly paved (resurfaced) streets in my neighborhood and it had a hard time puttin the bends in that plate rotfl

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I'm sandblasting the frame tomorrow as we stripped it down completely yesterday. Then it will be primed and painted the color of it's name......"The Black Beast". Still have parts to get and the wheels to be built.....this one is alot more work than you think, but will be well worth it when it's done...again.

dnut

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm sandblasting the frame tomorrow as we stripped it down completely yesterday. Then it will be primed and painted the color of it's name......"The Black Beast". Still have parts to get and the wheels to be built.....this one is alot more work than you think, but will be well worth it when it's done...again.

dnut
Hey Scotto, your're making great progress...
Something I've experienced more than once is finishing a bike, using it for awhile and realizing what I could and should have done better... which kind of tarnishes the shine from the original build which at first seemed so cool. So I think sometimes it is more satisfying to do a "makeover" than starting on a whole new build. That way you keep what you got right and leave well enough alone, and make changes to make it 'mo betta'. That's what I have going on this summer with the Worksman cruiser in my avatar. I liked it and it was by far the best build I had done to that date, but later on I realized so many things which could have been a lot better and now want to take the build in another direction, keeping what I liked and improving on the rest. By the end of the summer it will be a tribute build of a 1909 Indian tr-car convertible, being able to use it as a two wheeler with canoe sidecar and also as a three wheeler with the two wheels up front like a tadpole. And the China Girl engine will be replaced with a vintage 98cc two stroke Villiars. Sometimes it is worth the effort to do a make over instead of a start over. Yours is going to be a big step above what it was, cool as it may have been. I look forward to seeing it all done.
SB

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks Silverbear, I think you're right as that's pretty much what happend here. Originally Pat got that motor (for free no less) and we looked at the tandem and laughed......"gee I wonder how that thing would be on the tandem?" Next thing ya know I was building a rack for it to see how it would *really* be and it turned out better than we had imagined. Now it's time to make this thing fly and can't wait to ride it again.....it's a blast!

dnut

Hey Scotto, your're making great progress...
Something I've experienced more than once is finishing a bike, using it for awhile and realizing what I could and should have done better... which kind of tarnishes the shine from the original build which at first seemed so cool. So I think sometimes it is more satisfying to do a "makeover" than starting on a whole new build. That way you keep what you got right and leave well enough alone, and make changes to make it 'mo betta'. That's what I have going on this summer with the Worksman cruiser in my avatar. I liked it and it was by far the best build I had done to that date, but later on I realized so many things which could have been a lot better and now want to take the build in another direction, keeping what I liked and improving on the rest. By the end of the summer it will be a tribute build of a 1909 Indian tr-car convertible, being able to use it as a two wheeler with canoe sidecar and also as a three wheeler with the two wheels up front like a tadpole. And the China Girl engine will be replaced with a vintage 98cc two stroke Villiars. Sometimes it is worth the effort to do a make over instead of a start over. Yours is going to be a big step above what it was, cool as it may have been. I look forward to seeing it all done.
SB

bonnie1

Apr 18, 2011
SoCal
Now that bike looks like a lot of fun, it must be powerful if two people can ride it. Like to see it in action sometime, good luck building it.

B1

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yes indeed, this tandem is both fun and powerful......stick around and before you know it you will see it in action.

Well then, I started the sandblasting but had a bike to do for my partner Pat that needed blasting first. It was a 70's Schwinn racer that was plenty rusty but in good shape otherwise......took a lot of blasting to clean it up. Just got a few little patches started on the tandem frame and fabbed the rear disc brake mount as well, still have to weld it on and then sand blast away. Here's a few pics of the frames that are being blasted, the Schwinn is finished.

Now that bike looks like a lot of fun, it must be powerful if two people can ride it. Like to see it in action sometime, good luck building it.

B1
dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This is the rear disc brake caliper mount I made out of a piece of the Peugeot moped frame that barely remains in my backyard.....all that's left on it is part of the frame backbone with a cool tubular double leg kickstand attached to it.

The disc mount to be brazed or welded...prolly braze it...

Got lots to do on this tomorrow.....lots!

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Sandblasting is finally done after 150+ lbs of silica sand and several brutal hours of blasting away......here's the naked frame ready for the next step

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/img0156ej.jpg/]
[/URL]

dnut