Pocket bike CVT setup

GoldenMotor.com

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Hey guys,

So i know that this issue has been adressed before but I could not find a definitive answer even after much searching.

Has anyone attempted to use a high performance pocket bike engine with a CVT setup on their bike? I know the sprocket size/gearing issues that would need to be adressed but any other reasons why this would not work? 4.2 HP w/CVT for under $150 sounds like it could be fun to try any make work. Let me know your input/ideas thatnks!
-Dan

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
That's not a CVT on that motor. That is the Hoot chainbox, they totaly crap out around 200 miles of service. good motor though.

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
I have the CAG with High compression head and big bore whoozamawhatsit. Didn't like me, ports were NOT chamfered, didn't like to start, BUT besides it being of questionable durability, delivered really exceptional power. And that's before I got in there to really screw with it.

I also had the CVT, but somebody forgot to tighten a bolt on it, so it spun the backplate to the variator, and melted the variator weights. That was a major WTF.

So yeah. What you have there is a chain drive gearbox. The CVT is a thick, stout beast with a plastic cover. Also. be aware that mounting the CVT changes drive direction, so you'll either need a jackshaft or need to mount the motor Backwards (I know, I know) and drive the whole ba$tard from the pedal side. Shift kit mod maybe?

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Hey sorry ya I was just showing the motor and I know that is not the CVT on offer...

What I saw was someone who used a 49cc honda clone thumper with a cvt on it. Ive never used a CVT or torqe-a-verter (as the comet ones are called) do they all reverse the drive direction ? Seems to me that any that ive seen keep standard rotation. Or is it just the ones for pocket bikes that reverse direction. I dunno just pondering somethin new and I came across the PB motors. I think im gonna replace me HT with a 4 stroke anyways but I still want to get a CVT on my next setup. Any companies out there that you would reccomend??
-Dan