what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

croblesjr

Sep 19, 2012
Waco/Hewitt, TX
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Thank you. Got that all squared away now my next thing to change is the chain ring. Guess the chain did a number on numerous things. The new chain gets stuck on the chain ring and doesn't run smoothly on it. If that makes sense.

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

Bought some new and new used tools to work/build my bike. From Harbor Freight I order the 90amp Flux Wire Welder, Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet and at an auction today I got 2 angle grinders and a die grinder (all 3 for $5 total). Yea some of you will say the welder is a waist of my money, but it is all I can buy for now. For what I need to do with it and with some Lincoln wire it will do just fine.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york

Bought some new and new used tools to work/build my bike. From Harbor Freight I order the 90amp Flux Wire Welder, Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet and at an auction today I got 2 angle grinders and a die grinder (all 3 for $5 total). Yea some of you will say the welder is a waist of my money, but it is all I can buy for now. For what I need to do with it and with some Lincoln wire it will do just fine.
i would have gotten there stick welder and some 1/16 rods it is a great way to weld if you know what you are doing or have time to learn

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

i would have gotten there stick welder and some 1/16 rods it is a great way to weld if you know what you are doing or have time to learn
Been so long since I have used a stick welder and never really get the hang of striking the arc, I always seem to stick the rod allot. HAHAHA

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york

yep you do that till you get the hand of it i like it because i can get different rods (brass, steel,bronze, exc) and dont need shielding gas.

but mig is easy to learn and easy to do so its the "best" to learn with or if you are going to do alot of welding

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA

New 1" stainless flex exhaust with stainless tailpipe. Sounds great and increased the top speed from 34mph to 36mph.

lksdG2

Sep 30, 2012
san diego

i have the same welder and the same helmet, love them both. welded up a full new exhaust and made an expansion chamber with it. also use it to weld my frame back together after chopping and strectching it, it gets the job done thats for sure.

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego

Finally put the white wire to use and made a kill switch

I use it much more than I thought I would.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

How did you make that? I like it a lot.

New 1" stainless flex exhaust with stainless tailpipe. Sounds great and increased the top speed from 34mph to 36mph.
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad34/abikerider/New%20Exhaust/P1010068.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad34/abikerider/New%20Exhaust/P1010069.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

i have the same welder and the same helmet, love them both. welded up a full new exhaust and made an expansion chamber with it. also use it to weld my frame back together after chopping and strectching it, it gets the job done thats for sure.
How well does it do for you and how bad is the splatter?

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA

How did you make that? I like it a lot.
The 1" flex tubing is 316 stainless from MCMaster Carr stock # 54945K53. It comes in 5 ft. length increments up to a full coil of 25 ft. A 5 ft length cost me about $40 with shipping. I used 2.5 ft. of it. After cutting the regular exhaust off 2" from the flange you can slide it on. The problem is the inside diameter of the flex is 1" and the outside diameter of the exhaust pipe is around 7/8". I used 1" copper pipe to make a gasket between the two. I cut two 3/4" pieces of the pipe. Then I heat them with a torch till glowing red and quench them in water. This softens the copper so it can be easily bent. Then I cut them lengthwise with sheet metal cutters and wind one spirally around the exhaust pipe to form a gasket. It will have to overlap itself and I had to use a second smaller piece of the copper to make it fit tight. It will not be airtight but it doesn't need to be. Once it is snug tighten it with a hose clamp. Be careful, I damaged a few hose clamps trying to tighten it. It's OK if you can still twist the flex on the pipe a little. The other straps that hold the flex to the frame will keep it in place. The tail pipe is a 1 ft. piece of a 5 ft.stainless curtain rod I got from amazon.com for $20. Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003E64ARG/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3C_ST1_dp_1
Looks like it went up in price. I used another hose clamp to fasten the flex to it. The clamps around the flex and tail pipe are found at the local hardware. The normally look like this but I take the rubber off.

The clamps that attach to the chainstays are vinyl coated P-clamps that look like this.

Put it all together and you end up with one sweet exhaust.
.wee.

lksdG2

Sep 30, 2012
san diego

How well does it do for you and how bad is the splatter?
It works great for anything you'd ever want to do on a motorized bike, other than that I've only used it for my exhaust on my car and it works great for that, sometimes its too hot though and the heat control is only min or max and the min is too hot for thin stuff.

The splatter is definately there but not out of control, nothing a few seconds with a grinder can't take care of.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Finally put the white wire to use and made a kill switch

I use it much more than I thought I would.
I don't know why nobody jumped in here. The white wire should never be used for the kill switch. In fact, most "in the know" will tell you to just cap it off and never use it for anything. The white wire is a power wire and puts out 6V. It's connected directly to the coil. By grounding the white wire you're creating a direct short to the coil which will shorten the life of it. The recommended way to hook up the kill switch is to just attach one wire to the black, and the other to the blue from the CDI. This interupts the flow to the CDI instead of shorting the coil.
There are some people experimenting with low voltage LED's for lighting off the white wire, but nobody I know ever recommends using it for the kill switch. I know the factory says to do it, but all they care about is selling engines, and using the white wire like this will at the very least sell more coils for them.
fatdaddy.

mechaniczman

Sep 22, 2012
bunn

I drained the gas out of mine so that I could use my leaf blower. It was kind of fun my bike just sitts in the corner of the shed with no engine with a full tank of gas so I call it my gasoline fill station. I use it for my weed eaters and my leaf blowers. Those petcocks do drain slow though.

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego

I don't know why nobody jumped in here. The white wire should never be used for the kill switch. In fact, most "in the know" will tell you to just cap it off and never use it for anything. The white wire is a power wire and puts out 6V. It's connected directly to the coil. By grounding the white wire you're creating a direct short to the coil which will shorten the life of it. The recommended way to hook up the kill switch is to just attach one wire to the black, and the other to the blue from the CDI. This interupts the flow to the CDI instead of shorting the coil.
There are some people experimenting with low voltage LED's for lighting off the white wire, but nobody I know ever recommends using it for the kill switch. I know the factory says to do it, but all they care about is selling engines, and using the white wire like this will at the very least sell more coils for them.
fatdaddy.
Hmm,

I had first tried using the white wire to power a light... and blew out several LED's and a couple incandescent bulbs in the process

I'll have to look into this other wiring for a kill switch that you speak of though.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I quit having bulb burn outs after using an automotive interior /under hood light bulb, and narrowing the spark gap a little. When I flipped the switch after that, the engine didn't falter, and the light had plenty of juice.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

Hmm,

I had first tried using the white wire to power a light... and blew out several LED's and a couple incandescent bulbs in the process

I'll have to look into this other wiring for a kill switch that you speak of though.
If you try to run a LED straight off the white wire you will blow it out. Now as far as the bulbs go are you sure you had the correct voltage rated bulb for the voltage output of the white wire?