Snake

GoldenMotor.com

recumbentbill

Jul 5, 2009
millington tn
Went for a walk through my neighbors pine tree woods and spotted a snake that I was not familiar with. When I got home I googled it and found out the snake was a Sreadding adder/hog nose . What a cool snake very harmless and will play dead if messed with . While I was messin with the snake I could hear it hissing while it was spreadding or flattening its head and body. They mainly eat toads. Check the snake out at

?Spreading Adders? SNOMNH Herpetology Blog

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My brother and I, as kids, used to hunt/catch snakes when we lived in south Florida. The hognosed was one of our favorites. Harmless and fun to watch. When my bro was about fifteen he bought a three foot anaconda which he had for several years and it grew to be about eight feet in length. It used to crawl out of its cage at night and into my brother's bed. Unfortunately it developed pneumonia and died.
We used to be friends with Bill Hass, the owner of the Miami Serpentarium. We would take any poisonious snakes we caught to him; rattlers, coral and moccasins. He produced anti-venoms and made it available to hospitals.
I was sorry to see that the gentleman passed away recently.

Living in Tennesee I'd bet you're familiar with the copperhead. That's one you don't want to 'play' with :)
Tom

recumbentbill

Jul 5, 2009
millington tn
My brother and I, as kids, used to hunt/catch snakes when we lived in south Florida. The hognosed was one of our favorites. Harmless and fun to watch. When my bro was about fifteen he bought a three foot anaconda which he had for several years and it grew to be about eight feet in length. It used to crawl out of its cage at night and into my brother's bed. Unfortunately it developed pneumonia and died.
We used to be friends with Bill Hass, the owner of the Miami Serpentarium. We would take any poisonious snakes we caught to him; rattlers, coral and moccasins. He produced anti-venoms and made it available to hospitals.
I was sorry to see that the gentleman passed away recently.

Living in Tennesee I'd bet you're familiar with the copperhead. That's one you don't want to 'play' with :)
Tom
Yep I stay clear of the copper heads,rattlers,and water mocasins

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Yup. A few years ago a friend of mine found a article where a huge snake that was over 1/2ft in diameter. and like 20 feet long got into a farmers sheep pen and was eathing sheep. The farmer noticed his sheep were disappearing and he also noticed long drag marks, like a snake makes. They later found the snake tangled in his barbed wire electric fence. he he. He took a pic of it. I cant seem to find it on the internet, but it was huge.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I love little hognose snakes! You run across 'em, they'll hiss and puff and fuss and fume and rattle their tails against dead leaves or whatnot. And if that doesn't scare you, they'll "drop dead". They will flip right over on their backs and play dead. And if you try to flip them back - they'll flip right back over as you do it. It's as if they're trying to say "I'm dead, doggone it! See! I'm on my back. I must be dead. Leave me alone now." They're a riot!

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
When I was a teenager we were riding our coaster brake bikes on the old Indian trails around the lake, now called mountain bike trails, my friend was about 15 yds ahead of me and out of site when i heard him holler "snake snake" and when i came up on him he was standing on the side of the trail white as a sheet and his bike was laying in the middle of the trail with a 4ft bull snake wrapped up in the rear wheel. I asked him how the sam hill did he do that? He said he tried to run over the snake as it was crossing the trail. The snake was cut up pretty bad and all tangled in the spokes. I grabbed the snake behind his head it squirmed and wiggled and it took me a good 15 minutes to work him out of the wheel. I let him go, I just wonder if he ever survived?
Them old bull snakes can grow to be monsters. My friend to this day is still petrified of snakes.
buzzard