Oil dripping from exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
I am running somewhere around 20:1. I noticed that at the end of my muffler the chrome is covered with oil. Then I also saw a couple of drops of oil on the driveway. Is this normal? Excessive? A sign of trouble?

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
yes this is normal i had the same problem if this is your second tank or if this your third tank if it is you third tank i will go to 100:1 amsoil i heard really good stuff about i got a free sample i am going totry it once i run this last tank
:

;

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
City of angels said...
"yes this is normal i had the same problem if this is your second tank or if this your third tank if it is you third tank i will go to 100:1 amsoil i heard really good stuff about i got a free sample i am going totry it once i run this last tank"
...I've been running Amsoil Saber Professional since day one on both my engines at a ratio of 50-1 with not problems at all. The one engine from thatsdax has a lot of miles on it, maybe a thousand. The newer one from BGF only has a few hundred. I don't really do break in, just ride them, but at the same time I don't wind the motors out to see what the breaking point is. I weigh two hundred pounds and there are some pretty steep hills up my way in northeastern Minnesota. I also use the amsoil in my chainsaws so I don[t have to breathe the fumes of normal mix with regular oil. I'm very impressed with the stuff. If you choose amsoil synthetic make sure it is the one formulated for small air cooled engines... Amsoil Saber Professional. I'll be interested to hear how it goes with a mix of 100-1. Fine I suspect. Someone mentioned in another post how expensive the synthetic oils are. I don't look at it that way. With this amsoil you're using less oil per gallon and besides, we don't use that much gas anyway. I wanted to use the best oil I could to keep my motors going. I think this is it. No, I don't sell the stuff.
Silverbear

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
City of angels said...
"yes this is normal i had the same problem if this is your second tank or if this your third tank if it is you third tank i will go to 100:1 amsoil i heard really good stuff about i got a free sample i am going totry it once i run this last tank"
...I've been running Amsoil Saber Professional since day one on both my engines at a ratio of 50-1 with not problems at all. The one engine from thatsdax has a lot of miles on it, maybe a thousand. The newer one from BGF only has a few hundred. I don't really do break in, just ride them, but at the same time I don't wind the motors out to see what the breaking point is. I weigh two hundred pounds and there are some pretty steep hills up my way in northeastern Minnesota. I also use the amsoil in my chainsaws so I don[t have to breathe the fumes of normal mix with regular oil. I'm very impressed with the stuff. If you choose amsoil synthetic make sure it is the one formulated for small air cooled engines... Amsoil Saber Professional. I'll be interested to hear how it
goes with a mix of 100-1. Fine I suspect. Someone mentioned in another post how expensive the synthetic oils are. I don't look at it that way. With this amsoil you're using less oil per gallon and besides, we don't use that much gas anyway. I wanted to use the best oil I could to keep my motors going. I think this is it. No, I don't sell the stuff.
Silverbear
I've been using Amsoil for several years with a 50:1 mix. I use it for ALL of my
2 stroke engines too. It doesn't smoke, won't seize the piston, breaks in brand
new engines perfectly from day one. You can't beat it. Plus it SAVES you lots of
money, by reducing engine wear and damage, thus lasting longer.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sofasurferlinux asked,
"Where do you buy Amsoil? The auto parts stores near me do not have it, that I have seen so far."
I believe you can buy it online from the manufacturer and if you go to the website it will give you a lot of information on the oil for two strokes. I think ebay sellers list it as well. Look in the phone book for an amsoil dealer in your area. Some gas stations up my way carry it and once in awhile a Napa store will have it. Or ask around. Your small engine repair guy probably knows. I hope this helps.
Silverbear

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
When you run 2 cycle, do you need to use ONLY 2 cycle oil? In other words, is 2 cycle oil a differant concoction than ordinary motor oil? What is the differance?

When buying 2 cycle oil, is it all the same? Yes, I am aware (now) that some 2 cycle oils are considered better to use, but are they all interchangable?

I saw a bottle of 20:1 oil and a bottle of 40:1 oil. Same bottle, different ratio. Is the difference just in the mixing table printed on the back or is the oil formulated for a differant ratio?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
also try usabikemotors.com call them and ask them what the price is
USA- quart of Amsoil goes for $13... $1.70 for the single mix

I've got some Amsoil Saber just have not had time to try it out. I think I will try it at 50:1...the 100:1 makes me a bit nervous. Who knows, I may be a Amsoil believer here soon lol.

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
>The mixing ratio pertains to the amout of oil used per gallon of gasoline.

I know this. But if this is the case, then why do they sell a bottle labeled as 20:1 and a bottle labeled as 40:1?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
>The mixing ratio pertains to the amout of oil used per gallon of gasoline.

I know this. But if this is the case, then why do they sell a bottle labeled as 20:1 and a bottle labeled as 40:1?
By the amount of onces in the bottle, the 20:1 must have more ounces then the 40:1. They are speaking of using the entire bottle to one gallon of fuel I assume.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sofasurferlinux asked if there is a difference between 2 cycle and other motor oils. Yes there is. I don't know all the scientific stuff, but many years ago people used 30 weight motor oil mixed with gas for 2 cycle engines, at what ratio I don't remember. Also a good while back I had a VW beetle. I checked the oil beofre heading to town one day and it was low, needing an infusion of motor's life blood... oil! I looked around and had nothing on hand but some 2 cycle for the chain saw. 12 miles to town, should I chance it with not enough oil or dump in a quart of 2 cycle? I dumped in the 2 cycle figuring "how different can it be?" Different enough since I blew the engine half way to town. it appears that you can use regular motor oil mixed with gas without damaging a 4 stroke, but ddon't use 4 stroke oil on a 2 stroke. That's the conclusion I came to as I waited on the side of the road for the wrecker to come. As I said, I don't know the scientific stuff, but i make a point now of using the right oil for the right application. 2 cycle oils are different. Some are formulated for water cooled engines and are different than those made for air cooled. What's the difference? I don't know, but apparently they are different. I do trust the amsoil from having used it for years now on bike engines, chainsaws and weed eaters. It's good stuff. I don't know if it's the best since I don't check other brands out anymore. I'm happy with what works for me. I like the no smoke feature. That's a big deal when your bucking firewood for hours at a time a foot or two away from your saw. I care about what I breathe and I care about what Mother Earth breathes, too. So yeah, oils are not all the same. My bikes seem to like it.
Silverbear