Shifter Kit from www.sickbikeparts.com

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
many states allow you to not have to register/license only if it is an automatic or single speed. Since you're manual shifting, that's a no-no.

Just don't shift when cops are around :)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
just need to make a circuit that can actuate a solenoid based on your speed, which will shift the gears. then it's an automatic :)

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
the laws here state that it shall not require the operator to shift gears, this kit doesn't 'require' the operator to shift, it just allows that option.
at least that's how I understand it.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Can we upgrade the one-way bearings on the freewheel cranks? It seems to be a little wobbly... or is it just my kit that behaves like this? I already checked and tightened the bottom brackets... I was wondering if we can put better one-way bearings on the freewheel cranks...

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Can we upgrade the one-way bearings on the freewheel cranks? It seems to be a little wobbly... or is it just my kit that behaves like this? I already checked and tightened the bottom brackets... I was wondering if we can put better one-way bearings on the freewheel cranks...
Please define. It's wobbly inside the freewheel, or the whole chainring package has runout? I doubt in Asia you can find another freewheel, but if you do, please let us know. Also I sent you a PM, we need your order # to better respond in detail. Thanks,

Paul

Technocyclist

Jul 7, 2008
Asia
The wobble is in the freewheel itself, but I think it's pretty normal and tolerable. It's just about 1 to 2 mm. Maybe the chain tension is just too tight...I did retightened all the nuts and bolts on the chainrings, also the bottom bracket and cranks. Thanks.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
This is pretty typical. The primary cause is due to the crank not going onto the crank spindle squarely. You can loosen the nut and remove the crank and try and square it up but we find that it doesn't matter too much.

Technocyclist

Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Installed my shifter kit...did have some problems, but Paul is so very eager to help... so glad to have this shifter kit. I would highly advise the optional things in the intruction manual, especially that angled aluminum thingy that attaches to the right side bearing plate. The engine does have a tendency to rotate sidewards towards the right, so that little aluminum thingy stabilizes it. Also, put thread locking on the key locks and screws. I lost one of mine on the small sprocket on the right side. Fabricated one key lock from a 6mm bolt, filed off the edges and squaring it.

I had installed and disinstalled about 3 times, because of some minor adjustments. Getting the correct chain line can be a hassle, especially if you use 125 mm cartridge brackets. Difficult but workable...

I use an 8 speed internal gear hub, but the engine can only accomodate until 6th. No power after that. I need to get one of those tuned pipes and a walbro carb...All in all it's great to have gears... can do about 60++kph. Sometimes, I'm even faster than other motorcycles with back passengers. :D

Last edited:

theonlyhek

Jul 20, 2008
Treasure Coast, FL
Does this make the pedals wide enough for the pull starter upgrade, and how about the centrifrugal clutch upgrade? Will it be wide enough...?

Thanks to all! dnut

And will this work on the new Grubee Starfire Gen II with the steel lined cylinders?

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Does this make the pedals wide enough for the pull starter upgrade, and how about the centrifrugal clutch upgrade? Will it be wide enough...?

Thanks to all! dnut

And will this work on the new Grubee Starfire Gen II with the steel lined cylinders?
Bicycle Bottom Bracket Parts from Harris Cyclery It was said to me upon a time they will make m as wide as you want em. Hope this helps. They can be moved moved left or right also. Just use blue lock tight. Thats the serviceable lock tight and get there socket too!!

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
say pablo and jim why not list the tracking # for orders placed on my account
The system is supposed to send an email. It doesn't always work I notice, because I get the same feedback from others. If you paid with Paypal, then you can see the transaction in your account. Also you can send us an email with your real name and I will shoot you your tracking #.

Thanks!

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Turned out my Gary Fisher had a cartridge BB. Can you believe some bike shops don't even carry any replacement parts for cup and cone style BB? Told me they could sell me a new cartridge with a longer crank, custom order, though. As luck would have it another bike shop was able to provide the cup, I had bearings. Looking lower on the Phil Wood page, the prices go down if it does not say "Phil Wood" on the part.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That's a cool option that we have recommended for cartridge bikes - just very spendy. .flg.
At over six foot tall and a very natural 250 pounds life on a bicycle has never been cheap! I gotta have the down hill forks for prosthetics not for stunts lol..I mention it in a case of those that are inquiring minds might need to know. Peace.

Last edited:

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Pablo, you are so funny. LOL Maybe Phil has to give a cut to Tiger.

This time I am taking Jim's advice and putting a right side shifter on the left side of the handlebar. I hope I don't kill myself upshifting when I mean to downshift.

Hey, I do have a complaint about the shift kit. Most of it is SAE, I end up with way to many wrenches on the floor. Theses bikes are all metric.

Overall, the build is going well. I will be documenting it on my web pages and should have pics in a couple days.

HAPPY CANADA DAY.