I'm confused!

GoldenMotor.com

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
So I was taking a stroll through the motorbikes for sale on craigslist for around my area, and I was looking at a certain post who was selling a bunch of new ones, in his post he says you don't need a license plate or license for this and its perfect for DUI's. Isn't he wrong about that? This post was from Chula Vista, California. Heres a link to the post http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/bid/4951742550.html

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
that's whats called a sales tactic.
also worth pointing out: he says in the ad that the bikes are all test driven, but none of them look like they have been in the pictures (no dirt or oil on the tires)

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
In Maine you need a valid state drivers license to operate a motorized bicycle. If the state takes or restricts your license because of a DUI conviction on anything motored- motorized bikes are NO solution. Don't know jack about CA. Law. Go to your State.Gov website and look it up.

Last edited:

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Also, says bikes are tested. Well- I will test a bike be sure its safe and tight. Run it for a couple tanks (break-in) then Clean and Polish it beautiful before pictures and sale. Cause it has no road grime doesn't necessarily mean seller is lying about that. Gotta go look see and ask questions as these bikes I'm sure will be sold as is.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
those guys are horrible - often they have 60 copies of their ad in a 100 entry search for 'motor bike' on CL - they are an auto shop that builds these in spare time using their inexperienced car mechanics

they have no free support, $49.95 to do a diagnostic for problems, same per hour for labor, they charge $599 for sub $100 bikes with cheap kits that are not well built & also charge sales tax

look around CL for better builders in the area - there are several, but sometimes there will be a week ao so before you see a good ad (since those guys bump other ads down off your screen)

ask folks that live in the area too

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Every bike he shows is the cheapest coaster brake only bike on the shelf at any major Box store RUN don't walk away.

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
those guys are horrible - often they have 60 copies of their ad in a 100 entry search for 'motor bike' on CL - they are an auto shop that builds these in spare time using their inexperienced car mechanics

they have no free support, $49.95 to do a diagnostic for problems, same per hour for labor, they charge $599 for sub $100 bikes with cheap kits that are not well built & also charge sales tax

look around CL for better builders in the area - there are several, but sometimes there will be a week ao so before you see a good ad (since those guys bump other ads down off your screen)

ask folks that live in the area too
Im not interested in the bike, just wondering aboht how he says you didnt need a license but thanks!

BobbyT

Mar 16, 2014
Santa Maria ca.
You need a M1 or M2 license in Ca. Use the search near the top of the page and do some reading. Telling a Judge the add said won't help if you get a ticket. Where in Ca. are you ? Hope this helps.

Bob

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
most folks in CA get away with no lic on these IF they have no centrifugal clutch (which classes them as 'automatic trans') all CA laws specifically call out bikes with 'auto trans' as what they apply to

makes it a gray area in that no current law says anything about direct drive bikes

best to follow all other laws tho about stay in bike lane, have mirror/horn/helmet, lights after dark, and obey traffic laws

I keep a lic. in my car, but have carried no form of ID for last 20 or so years - been riding daily on the bikes for about 6 years with no problems

most of my CA customers have no lic. and have no problems at all

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
most folks in CA get away with no lic on these IF they have no centrifugal clutch (which classes them as 'automatic trans') all CA laws specifically call out bikes with 'auto trans' as what they apply to

makes it a gray area in that no current law says anything about direct drive bikes

best to follow all other laws tho about stay in bike lane, have mirror/horn/helmet, lights after dark, and obey traffic laws

I keep a lic. in my car, but have carried no form of ID for last 20 or so years - been riding daily on the bikes for about 6 years with no problems

most of my CA customers have no lic. and have no problems at all
So no license plate either??

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
So then it doesn't matter what age i am if i have a centrifugal clutch? I just turned 15 but have been riding motorbikes, etc. for my whole life
CA mb law quite clearly says you need:
M2 or M1 license.
$21 one time fee license plate.
DOT helmet.
Left side mirror, horn, lights.

There is no grey area about centrifugal clutches.
If your bike doesn't comply with CVC 406 (a) then
it is just illegal like a pit bike on mini bike on the street.

The Only thing these guys in your San Diego area have
is that the local cops do not enforce these laws or maybe
even know or care what they are.

You will only need all the stuff above if you get stopped by
a cop that knows the laws and wants to give you a ticket
or impound your bike. ;)

Guys with no drivers licenses can always only find some wacko
loophole law while ignoring all the obvious laws that say what
they don't want to hear.

PS: What do your parents say about you riding a mb on the street at 15? :)

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
M2 or M1 license.
DOT helmet.

or impound your bike. ;)

they don't want to hear.

They're fine with it, i was riding a baja doodle bug that went 25 MPH around my neighborhood at 12, bummer i have to wait a whole year i was excited for a second): i've seen guys ride around with no shoes or helmet though so i dont think cops are too worried, i actually rarely see cops where i live, and have never seen them bother anyone, but who knows

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
M2 or M1 license.
DOT helmet.

or impound your bike. ;)

they don't want to hear.

I also forgot to mention I've been driving cars since 14 (not publicly of course, but practicing for drivers license)

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
So I was taking a stroll through the motorbikes for sale on craigslist for around my area, and I was looking at a certain post who was selling a bunch of new ones, in his post he says you don't need a license plate or license for this and its perfect for DUI's. Isn't he wrong about that? This post was from Chula Vista, California. Heres a link to the post http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/bid/4951742550.html
They are lying so they don't lose sales to people who lost their drivers license.

The only legal "DUI" powered transportation in CA is an ebike which does not require a DL.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I also forgot to mention I've been driving cars since 14 (not publicly of course, but practicing for drivers license)
OK, would your parents let you drive a car on the street by yourself?

They let you ride a mini bike in your neighborhood.
There is little difference between a mini bike and a
motorized bike except that a mb is legal on the road
where as a mini bike is not.

I hope that you wear a full face helmet on your mini bike. :)

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Huh?
Great advice from some guy in Oregon.

Link to CA motorized bicycle plate application.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES
Read your own link:
If sed BICYCLE has no centrifugal clutch then it is not - repeat NOT considered a motorized vehicle in the state of California.....As the thing remains a Bicycle by statute it then needs no plate......
I'm sure that California will some day get around to clarifying this obvious screw up but until then it's still a bicycle.....

Your second link is conjecture and e-legal as a police officer can not give any legal advice..... It's a huge no no....

SOME GUY FROM OREGON.

Last edited:

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
OK, would your parents let you drive a car on the street by yourself?

They let you ride a mini bike in your neighborhood.
There is little difference between a mini bike and a
motorized bike except that a mb is legal on the road
where as a mini bike is not.

I hope that you wear a full face helmet on your mini bike. :)
Oh no, my parents are in the car when I drive, they don't do anything unless I'm doing something wrong, I don't think I'd want to drive without them there, I'm comfortable with driving but not that comfortable! Haha. Shame my minibike broke a few months ago! It had a nice 4 stroke engine, 98CC too! It could fly, but you always had to lube the chain which really sucked, oh well.

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
Read your own link:
If sed BICYCLE has no centrifugal clutch then it is not - repeat NOT considered a motorized vehicle in the state of California.....As the thing remains a Bicycle by statute it then needs no plate......
I'm sure that California will some day get around to clarifying this obvious screw up but until then it's still a bicycle.....

Your second link is conjecture and e-legal as a police officer can not legally give any legal advice.....

SOME GUY FROM OREGON.
WAIT, so then i would be able to drive one although having no license if it has no centrifugal clutch??