What's Your Bike Worth

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This thread http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=56676 by Knightscape made me think of the subject of value.

If you were to sell your bike/s today, what would you expect to get for it?

Most people who have asked me about buying one of my bikes have little to no appreciation as to what it takes to build one and how much a guy can put into a bike. They want me to give it away.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom I have been asked to sell one of mine, people think my price is too high also. I told one that $400 would be a breakeven point, $450 and I would sell the cranbrook. The other I like too much to sell.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Well, I just figured out how much I would need to break even, not counting time. I'll just say I'm in a little deeper than I thought, LOL. BUT, I've had a heck of a lot of fun creating this contraption and that's gotta be worth something. So my bike isn't "for sale" but I suppose if I got the right offer the at least covered my costs, I'd sure think about it if it let me build with some more upgrades next time.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
My latest build has cost me around a grand to put together, plus hours(weeks) of time.
Not looking to get my money back though, and still consider this a fairly cheap hobby.
I find most things you pay 'over the counter' for halve there value once you step out the door.
In a more populated area there is a chance of piecing together stuff others chuck and reselling with a profit, but you got to keep it simple.
There is certainly easier ways to make money.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I probably have around six hundred when it comes down to every nickel and dime. I honestly would not expect anybody to want to pay over $250. Had an offer for even trade on an s10 with a blown head gasket. Bikes more fun so I politely denied ha. And I wouldn't want to have to rebuild an engine.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I've been offered $2000 for my 5 speed automatic. I always tell people I can build them one but won't sell mine. What turns many of them away here is when I tell them Tennessee requires you to have a driver's license. I let them know I can pretty much build whatever they want.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When I build a bike I keep track of every penny I spend to build it. I save the invoices and make a record and when the bike is complete and on the road I'll add up what the bike cost me to build. Anything I buy after that gets added to the original total. Keep in mind I don't add in my labor and I don't account for things like welding supplies or materials I have on hand.

Then a guy offers me less than half what I have in the bike for the parts alone and is aghast when I tell him what it cost me to build it.

Maybe I should stop keeping track of my expenses and just sell the darn things so I'll have some garage space. I'm not in it for the profit margin anyway.

Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
My bike with the HT motor not worth much. lol

The one with the Morini motor try about $3000 or higher. There is nothing broke on that machine!

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
$300 shipped for a brand new Dawes Lightning 26" MTB with disc brakes and adjustable front suspension
$175 for kit
$40 4L gas tank
$85 engine mount, stainless hardware & top hat adapter
$20 extra cdi & magneto
$15 shifter
$10 dual pull brake lever

Not to mention I needed a second engine I paid $20 out of pocket since the original seller only covered partial refund.

Things I wasted money on

I bought a pos spring tensioner I didn't need.

I grinded up a disc caliper trying to make it fit on the rear set up . Bought another one that isn't grinded.

Bought a regular 410 chain instead of HD, another thing I didn't need

I went through a couple rear mounts

Things I needed

I needed a reverse drill bit and easy out set

I already had a dremmel set, I bought extra carbide tips.

Also buying a rocket racing cdi, suspension seat and tygon fuel line tomorrow along with a SBP throttle

Turbobuick tensioner, voodoo pipe and nt jets are being purchased soon

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
"What's Your Bike Worth?"

Too much & not enough, simultaneously.

Kit bikes (gas or electric): They're just not that difficult & if you can't DIY, they're not for you. The gas kits will always need attention & if you've not built it, it's likely you don't understand it. Electrics are so easy it'd be almost criminal to charge someone.

Customs: Yea... paid even the minimum hourly wage for the time invested, the parts hunted & scrounged, the do-overs & refinements to make it customer worthy and the result is a price simply asinine to consider when compared to almost any factory-built offering or I'd be ripping myself off, likely a bit of both.

Yes - there are exceptions. Some folks don't worry price or practicality & buy or build just for the want to do so. Depending on the region it's possible to eke out a profit from those whom don't know better or simply wish to pay someone else to worry...

...but not hereabouts. Perhaps it's that "pragmatic yankee individualism" of the frozen northlands or jus' a the hobbled economy (likely the latter lol) but in addition there's just something about selling completed motorized bikes that goes against the grain for me, that ol' "built not bought" mentality where the crafting is more important than the having.

I almost hate to say it but if it's just about transportation & not the education, you'd be far better served by a factory moped/scooter's "turnkey" & warranty. If it's jus' about the style... well... I'm not particularly into fashion accessories lol

*shrug* to each their own I figure ;)

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I figure that my Cranbrook with a Skyhawk kit is worth about $5000.

(Well, this is probably what it saved me from having to spend to buy a decent motorcycle to 'scratch' my wind in the hair itch..........:D)

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I find that if you put a 2-stroke kit on a $3500 bike, you end up with a bike worth about the same as that kit put on a $25 bike with fresh paint. None of the things that make a high-end bike cost more are functional/useful once the motor is on it.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I find that if you put a 2-stroke kit on a $3500 bike, you end up with a bike worth about the same as that kit put on a $25 bike with fresh paint. None of the things that make a high-end bike cost more are functional/useful once the motor is on it.
(just shakes head)
A bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Granted $3500 is a lot for a bike but that is not the point...

You contend that adding a motor assist turns an expensive bike into a $25 POS because everything good about them can't be used?

I guess we build differently because all of my 'expensive bicycle' builds take advantage of all the great bicycle parts I have to work with and they don't loose value.

Perfect example sitting in the build bay now.
Well not in the bay, the wheels are too big, but this customer shipped me that Surley Instigator frame with all the good parts he wanted on it.

This is only about half done but you get the jest, over $2K in bike parts that will play nice with a jackshafted Yang Dong (Skyhawk) 66cc to fit the customers needs and budget, which is big.

And that brings us around to the whole point of 'What's your bike worth'...

For many builders here it could be priceless, or it could be something they wouldn't pay $25 for, but worth is what somebody else would pay for it.

You'd be surprised how many wealthy people like a new expensive toy.
Build 'em well and their friends want one too ;-}

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
no accounting for what wealthy folks will spend money on, but that one doesn't look comfortable enough for a daily commute - I can see that a jackshaft & pair o' disks will add about $400, but I won't even test ride one with a seat that stiff and can't ride one with my weight on my arms

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Wealthy people spend their dough on what they want, just like not so wealthy do. The only difference is they have more choices.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wealthy people spend their dough on what they want, just like not so wealthy do. The only difference is they have more choices.
But the smart ones look down the road and plan for the future. The dumb ones just buy because they think their friends and neighbors will be impressed.

Tom