Head badge removal and reinstall

GoldenMotor.com

PoorBoy

May 31, 2014
CA
My Dyno build is getting closer to completion and test ride befor tear down and powdercoating. What is the accepted method to remove the head badge and reinstall it afterwards without damaging it? I have a heat gun if that is all that is required. Any pointers?

Thanks, Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom,
What is the head badge made of? Metal, with rivets or a sticker?
The one on my Nirve bikes was metal but held on with cheap double sided tape. I use
3M adhesive remover to take them off.

If a metal badge with rivets they can be removed, if you use care. With the stem out of the head tube it is possible to tap the rivets out from the inside just enough to get a hold on them with a tool, like small side cutters. Reinstalling them the same way with new drive rivets That can me driven in with a small hammer. I believ it was Bairdco who outlined this in an old thread. If I find it I will post a link here later.

If it is a mylar sticker, good luck. Heat will soften the adhesive but can distort the image. Chemical adhesive remover might wash off any ink or colors.

Hopefully there will be other suggestions from members to help you.

Tom

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I've had some rivets that were rusted too much to drive out from the inside. I found that a small drum sander on the inside will remove all the rivet protruding through. I made a knock out tool by installing a 1/16'' by 1/2'' pin in the side of one end of a piece of 5/8'' round stock about 8'' long.. Then by locating the pin on top of the remaining rivet and hitting the side of the bar with a hammer, it usually comes out clean. To re-install I have some rivets made for a 3/32'' hole. I think they came from McMasterCarr. #3 brass machine screws also look great instead of rivets.

PoorBoy

May 31, 2014
CA
Thanks, guys

The badge is a metal badge that appears to be somewhat soft that is glued on in some fashion. No rivets at all. Is the suggestion of using dental floss one I should pursue?

Should I even worry about the badge being it is not pristine?

Tom

PoorBoy

May 31, 2014
CA
Thanks to everyone for the great and valuable input. I will give it a go with heat and hopefully it will ease off the tube. Otherwise I know where to get a great looking replacement ;-)

Too many little things slowing the build down. Like the Jackshaft chain has no slack in the AGK kit. Need to have the slots machined just a fraction of an inch more.

All fun and learning lots.

Tom

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
If it's held on with double sided tape you can use some fishing line and and work it back and forth behind the badge to cut the tape.

PoorBoy

May 31, 2014
CA
Thanks, Headtrama
I will give your advice a go tomorrow. The badge is not pristine having some minor denting bit I feel it will add to the completed look once the bike is completed.

Tom