I'm a rich man

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Shan,
If you ever get the chance to go to the roof of a commercial building where pigeons roost, I guarantee you'll never eat another one. They are the only animal that I know of that builds its own nest and raises its young in its own feces. That is a fact. I've seen mounds of the stuff with eggs and/or young birds nestled in it. The stink??? You wouldn't want to be near it.

Ever hear of Legionnaire's Disease? It originated from pigeon droppings (feces) that was found in the fresh air intakes of a building.
Still want to have them over for dinner? :)

Tom
Tom I'll still eat them birds any day, none of that stuff bothers me a bit, raised in the country, I've eaten just about anything that walks, crawls and flies in my life, I don't plan on eating the birds poop and I never heard of wild birds eating their own poop, but I guarantee that if you ever went to a chicken farm or a turkey farm you may not ever eat another bite of those two birds for sure, the chicken and Turkey that comes out of stores and restaurants is way more unhealthy and polluted than just about anything found in the wild.......

My Dad worked for a Turkey raising company many years ago called Swift, he wont eat a bite of store bought Turkey still to this day, he remembers seeing them clean out the holding areas, drying the Turkey crap, grinding it and adding a certain amount of it back into their feed for bulk, if you ever go to a Turkey farm and smell what its like there, you'll know that smell well every time you walk into someones home when they have one in the oven because the smell of the Turkey poop is very noticeable when a store bought Turkey is cooking........ I only eat wild Turkeys and I raise my own Chickens free from all the growth hormones that store bought chickens are normally full of, chickens from the store usually go from hatching out of the egg to your plate in 6 weeks.....! this can only be done with drugs and hormones, chickens and Turkeys don't grow and fill out that fast on there own eating grain.

So..... to sum it all up here......heck yeah I'll eat those pigeons Tom, main thing is that they haven't been drinking lots of toxic water form road side puddles and such, dont have to worry about that around here much.

Map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The rich folks call 'em "squab" when it's on the menu ......guess it sounds less.......bohemian....lol!!

I work at a big box store with a garden center. I also am less than enthusiastic about pigeons.
Thats right xseler, good ole squab, around the country folks they are likely to call them something like bridge chickens or something like that.....LOL!

Ain't never ate a bad pigeon, dove or quail, those are some good eating birds, those yellow breasted medow larks are good eating also, I've eaten many kinds of wild birds, black birds ect. people think that is strange now days but thats how people lived for thousands of years, they lived off the land and ate many different animals, I grew up eating Armadillos, Alligator, birds, deer all kinds of birds even some rattle snake and several kinds of fish.

fixed up right most things can be pretty good eating.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Well, this thread took a turn for the strange.

And I wasn't even involved in it. :D
Yeah I know..........got off on eaten the critters......... Dang that would be a good name for a new reality series ( Eaten The Critters )...LOL!

Sorry biknut! I know we highjacked the heck outta this thread, get to talking about good food and fun and things just get outta hand......dance1

Peace, Map
reddd

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
i have enjoyed where you guys have gone with this made me hungry

tom--i was wondering can you get the "pigeons" with a bb or are you talking pellet rifle 1000 or 1200 feet per second???

I have done a pretty good job taking care of all the pigeons that dirtied/pooped up the window sills of my place ==1000 feet per second pellet rifle works for me

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

tom--i was wondering can you get the "pigeons" with a bb or are you talking pellet rifle 1000 or 1200 feet per second???

I have done a pretty good job taking care of all the pigeons that dirtied/pooped up the window sills of my place ==1000 feet per second pellet rifle works for me
Yep that will get-em and its fun doing it......... I have several air rifles. But the one I've done the most damage to the critters with is my old Benjamin .22 cal pellet rifle I traded my grand dad out of when I was a kid, that thing has taken hundreds of animals and put meat on the table many times.........!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Since this thread is so far off the tracks, I'll pass on this little story.....

I grew up in a small, rural town in SE Oklahoma. There was an old man that was a throw-back to ages past. When he went somewhere, he always returned by the same route. Hmmm.......why's this, you ask??

He would always take a can of spray paint with him on his travels. When he happened onto a roadkill, he would stop, get outa his truck, and spray a paint dot on the animal facing the oncoming traffic. Hmmm.....why's this, you ask??

Well, on the way back (same route, mind you), if he saw roadkill without a paint dot, he knew that this was fresh roadkill. He'd stop and throw it in the back of his truck ---- ta dah....supper!!

True story. Really. Can't make this stuff up. Really.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yep that will get-em and its fun doing it......... I have several air rifles. But the one I've done the most damage to the critters with is my old Benjamin .22 cal pellet rifle I traded my grand dad out of when I was a kid, that thing has taken hundreds of animals and put meat on the table many times.........!
The Ruger 10-22 takes care of all the critters round here (with 25 & 30 rd clips lol). We lube the doves wings with 30wt oil around here cause their wings are so squeaky when they take off.

I'd rather eat cheese than worms anyday......your signature ;)

Last edited:

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Agh, tractor supply was closed by the time I got there. I went with VHT engine enamel w/ceramic. It says that I have to heat cure the paint at 200 degrees for maximum durability and adhesion.

Can i stick the whole china girl engine in my oven @200* for 1 hour and be safe?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Agh, tractor supply was closed by the time I got there. I went with VHT engine enamel w/ceramic. It says that I have to heat cure the paint at 200 degrees for maximum durability and adhesion.

Can i stick the whole china girl engine in my oven @200* for 1 hour and be safe?
Yes you can if you remove the oil residue...and the magneto and such.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
And such? That's kind of vague. Removing the magneto isn't somethin I'm familiar with. I guess I can just heat treat all the covers and the head and jug and not really worry about the middle pieces.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The Ruger 10-22 takes care of all the critters round here (with 25 & 30 rd clips lol). We lube the doves wings with 30wt oil around here cause their wings are so squeaky when they take off.

I'd rather eat cheese than worms anyday......your signature ;)
My 10-22 does its share of critter gittin also, sweet shooting little rifles no doubt.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
And such? That's kind of vague. Removing the magneto isn't somethin I'm familiar with. I guess I can just heat treat all the covers and the head and jug and not really worry about the middle pieces.
Just go for an hour ride after the paint has cured for 12+ hours and it will be cured real good.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just want to say I may not be nearly as rich with money as some people here are, but having what I have and knowing the things I know has made me very blessed in many ways and Im very thankful for all the great people in my life including the great people on this forum I've had these many long distance conversations with off and on over the last 3 years, I am blessed and rich with the important things in life and for this I truly am very thankful.
Now, im being honest and more back to the topic of this thread........!
I really enjoy the time I spend here listening, learning and helping when I can or at least trying to.....lol!

Peace, map

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
As long as I can throw a couple of pigeons, and squirrels in a lunch bag, and ride my motor bicycle to the park for a picnic what could be better in life. Maybe a bacon hotdog, but naw, lets don't go there lol.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Buba,
I have an old Crossman Co2 BB pistol that is surprisingly accurate. I'm not the greatest pistol shooter but if I hold it steady enough it'll hit what I'm aiming at. A couple of weeks ago, when my wife was out of town I made the shot of the century.
Pure luck, but I was aiming exactly where the BB went which was right between the eyes of a rabbit that had been coming in my yard and eating the grass down to the dirt. I was about 50 feet from him and popped him from a park bench where I was sitting. He dropped and never moved again. Eat my grass, will ya? Ha, no more.

Anyone know anything about the Beeman (Beaman) .22 pellet rifle that Wally World sells for $130 ?
It's supposed to fire at 1800fps and has an 8X scope. I'm a pretty fair shot with a long gun so those pigeons will be in danger if that gun is any good.

Tom

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
As long as I can throw a couple of pigeons, and squirrels in a lunch bag, and ride my motor bicycle to the park for a picnic what could be better in life. Maybe a bacon hotdog, but naw, lets don't go there lol.
LOL.......!

gotta at least go to a park that has those little char coal grillin stations so you can cook those critters up...LOL!

.bf.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
[/QUOTE]
Anyone know anything about the Beeman (Beaman) .22 pellet rifle that Wally World sells for $130 ?
It's supposed to fire at 1800fps and has an 8X scope. I'm a pretty fair shot with a long gun so those pigeons will be in danger if that gun is any good.

Tom[/QUOTE]

Yes I do Tom, My younger brother has one of them and he really likes it, his is the .177 cal model which doesn't have as much knock down power as the .22 cal does and he has had great results with his, very accurate air rifles, Beamann has been around for a long time and as far as I know they have never made junky air rifles, I have a China made knock off of either one of the RWS or Beamann models I've had for several years in .177 cal and I've keeled several Raccoons, Opossums, Squirrels, Wild Feral Cats.... by the way which I really hate to shoot...,but here in the country you get to many of those running around and they will destroy the quail and other small game population.

To sum it up here Tom I'd say you wouldn't go wrong at all with the Beamann air rifle, put a good air rifle scope on it and dial it in at 30-40yds and you will really have a critter gitter.......Dang I'm glad we ended up on air rifle here, another one of the thing I really enjoy when I have the time.

Here are a few links to some great deals on some air rifles.

http://www.airgundepot.com/break-barrel-air-rifles.html

http://www.archerairguns.com/xisico-spring-piston-air-rifles-s/63.htm

http://www.pyramydair.com/

The link below is a place to get awesome pellets that will knock those critter in the dirt quick...
http://www.straightshooters.com/

Tom here is a link to a dual cal. Beamann rifle that comes with .177 barrel and a .22 cal barrel, this is just $30 bucks more than the Wally World Rifle and its like having two rifles in one, this is the one my brother has with only the .177 barrel for his.
http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-1334.html

Map
.wee.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wow, thanks Shan. I've been looking at that rifle for a few weeks and the only reason I haven't bought it is because I can't figure out how to sneak it into the house, or shoot it in the back yard without my animal loving wife finding out :)

She's a catch and release type who wants me to let mice go instead of killing them when I catch them in a multi-catch trap I use. Funny, she doesn't have any problems putting poison on her veggie garden to kill pests. Guess they aren't warm and fuzzy enough for her.

I might have to make a Wally run in the next couple of days.

This has to be one of the most diversified threads ever started. Thanks Biknut :)

Tom

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I worked for this company while going to school in the 80's, they were located in culver city. I got to play with some of the best air guns made. Got into some trouble too... We use to have gun fights in the store with the Crossman 38's using cleaning pellets. Ran outside the the store with the gun and someone called the cops. The manager was not happy when he was face down on the sidewalk with a real 38 to the back of his head.

Good time for sure!!!!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mac-1-airgun-distributors-gardena

It's nice to see Tim still owns it.