I'm a rich man

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Brake cleaner seams to work best on the bikes for me, dries fast and it will blast most of the grime off with a little help form a paint brush in the hard to get areas where the oily junk builds up under the carb sometime on my oldest bike.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Blasting your bike with air pressure after washing is a real time saver.
Very true........! I try to blow as much dust off as I can before I use any solvents to clean it, been thinking about getting one of those little cheap electric cash wash machines, seen them for around $80, my luck it would only work a couple of time and then burn up.....LOL I would be a bit PO'd.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just had an idea........BING!

maybe I'll just get out one of my old pump up sprayers, fill it with HOT water add a little dish soap and bingo......semi high pressure hot soapy water sprayer...... gonna have to try this one now.....! cheap, easy.... and no electric power required... my own pump up bike wash..LOL!

map
reddd

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just had an idea........BING!

maybe I'll just get out one of my old pump up sprayers, fill it with HOT water add a little dish soap and bingo......semi high pressure hot soapy water sprayer...... gonna have to try this one now.....! cheap, easy.... and no electric power required... my own pump up bike wash..LOL!

map
reddd
I was just going to suggest hot water and detergent. Not sure which brand of brake cleaner Map is using but what I use is like paint remover. In fact I've used it for that. It is a highly aggresive solvent that, yes, will cut dirt, grease and grime but will also attack most any painted surface. Read the label.

Another option is good old WD-40. It will clean oil, grease and dirt and not harm the paint. Stubborn greasy stuff, chain lube, bearing grease, etc. might require a second cleaning but WD has always worked for me. I don't use it for lubricating anything but it has other uses.

Sorry we've highjacked your thread, Biknut, but you started it by showing us pictures of your pretty bikes. We just want to see you keep them that way :)

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
No worries Tom. When people see our nicely maintained bikes, I'm sure some of them would like to know how we keep them that way.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I try almost in vain to keep mine clean.
I let it get fairly dirty then clean it because if I cleaned it whenever it was a slight bit dirty, I'd be cleaning every ride. lol

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
No worries Tom. When people see our nicely maintained bikes, I'm sure some of them would like to know how we keep them that way.
Easy to keep them that way when all they see is pavement, thats the only bad thing about living in the country, nothing stays clean, but I will have to say that is the only thing bad about living in the country, personally I'll take my dirty cars, trucks and bikes and living on 150 acres in the nice quiet peaceful natural setting of the country life over clean vehicles, traffic, crime, noise and neighbors any day of the week...... it's nice to go into town but I can't wait to get back home after a short time there, just different strokes for different folks, but its all good, just me the wife, the chickens, the cats and all the rest of the animals in my neck of the woods but I like it.

I'll have to say that when I see all you fellas nice clean classy looking pics of those bikes, it does make me wish I could keep mine that clean and I would if I could for sure, just aint never gonna happen out here in the sticks though.....LOL!

Well off to assemble a pull behind farm sprayer I just bought at tractor supply a while ago, dang grasshoppers are about to eat us out of house and home out here this year, the pump up sprayer just ain't gonna cut it anymore, I guess thats what we do out here instead of dealing with burglars and such, we get invaded with insects sometime...... gonna poison the heck outta those suckers.....!

Map
reddd

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Easy to keep them that way when all they see is pavement, thats the only bad thing about living in the country, nothing stays clean, but I will have to say that is the only thing bad about living in the country, personally I'll take my dirty cars, trucks and bikes and living on 150 acres in the nice quiet peaceful natural setting of the country life over clean vehicles, traffic, crime, noise and neighbors any day of the week...... it's nice to go into town but I can't wait to get back home after a short time there, just different strokes for different folks, but its all good, just me the wife, the chickens, the cats and all the rest of the animals in my neck of the woods but I like it.

I'll have to say that when I see all you fellas nice clean classy looking pics of those bikes, it does make me wish I could keep mine that clean and I would if I could for sure, just aint never gonna happen out here in the sticks though.....LOL!

Well off to assemble a pull behind farm sprayer I just bought at tractor supply a while ago, dang grasshoppers are about to eat us out of house and home out here this year, the pump up sprayer just ain't gonna cut it anymore, I guess thats what we do out here instead of dealing with burglars and such, we get invaded with insects sometime...... gonna poison the heck outta those suckers.....!

Map
reddd
All I see more then half the time is pavement and my bike still looks like crap.
lmao

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I've had the same experience myself, some paints just dont stand up to the fuel and any other chemicals well for some reason, it sucks when you think it will and then BAM............! paint gets lifted and you are ready for a new paint job on something.
I third this comment. I used rust oleum "12oo BBQ" paint and any time even a drop o fuel got on it I had to re paint it because it just ate straight thru the paint. This thread is going to help me choose my next engine paint so school me guys! Lots of great input so far.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Audio books. That's how I keep my bikes clean. Settle into a comfy position on the floor, crank up the CD player and get into a good story and.....clean away. Like Map said, I ride almost exclusively on hard surface so I don't get into much dirt but I like my bikes clean and road dust accumulates on every surface.

If you've never tried it, glass cleaner, especially aerosol or pump sprayer, works great on chrome or alloy rims and spokes. Spray it on and wipe it off. Waxing the painted surfaces of the bike will make it easier to clean also. I wouldn't wax my engine though :)

Tom

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada

Map
reddd
i live in the country too,dirt is a way of life,if it isnt raining,the dust control on the roads is just as bad -if not worse.

i like all the little animals around here-except the hawks,there is a family of them here.they wont shut up.the two young ones are working on their hunting skills,squrrels taking a pounding.it is fun watching them.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hawks? I love 'em. They keep down the pigeon population. I hate pigeons. If they roost on a building down town they're pigeons. If they're out here in the suburbs people call them, "morning doves". Bull, they're pigeons and I hate that stupid noise they make. The Colorado red tailed hawk takes care of a lot of the problem and I help them out with my BB gun.

What was Mother Nature thinking when she made pigeons and squirrels? Two of the most useless, nasty and destructive creatures in the world.

Wow, talk about highjacking a thread.................:)

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hawks? I love 'em. They keep down the pigeon population. I hate pigeons. If they roost on a building down town they're pigeons. If they're out here in the suburbs people call them, "morning doves". Bull, they're pigeons and I hate that stupid noise they make. The Colorado red tailed hawk takes care of a lot of the problem and I help them out with my BB gun.

What was Mother Nature thinking when she made pigeons and squirrels? Two of the most useless, nasty and destructive creatures in the world.

Wow, talk about highjacking a thread.................:)

Tom

Well Tom I will say also they can be a pain in the neck, but I love eating them.....Pigeons are very good to eat, just breast them out just like you would breast out dove and pull the meat off the bone dip it in some egg and milk mixer, roll in some seasoned flour and fry those suckers up, set them aside covered in a bowl, in a small skillet fry up some sliced onions in a small amount of oil until they are soft, through them over on the pigeon and cover, now.... get out a good size skillet and make up a pan of white cream gravy, just as it first starts to thicken remove from heat and now throw pigeon meat and onions into gravy, put back on a very low simmer heat and gently stir around until gravy starts to thicken a bit more, now remove from heat, put a lid on it and let it sit for 10-15 minutes......yum yum, you can do squirrel the same way if its a young squirrel and not a buck squirrel with cods the size of walnuts....LOL those bugger can be tough so you gotta boil them for a good while like you would an old Jack Rabbit then you just make squirrel and dumplins outta him...yum yum...again.

you can also take those pigeon breast and leave meat on the breast bone, cut a large Jalapeno Pepper into four parts (cut it long ways) put one of the slivers against breast bone and now wrap the entire breast in a nice slice of bacon, put a couple tooth picks through it to hold bacon on the breast and now put those sucker on the grill and cook slow to medium until bacon is very crisp, pull out the tooth picks and enjoy some dang good eating....

when you kill those pigeons go ahead and get the ultimate revenge and eat them...........and when you go to the restroom the next day you can laugh and say......take that you freaking pigeon......! LOL!

map
reddd

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
DAMN.
The morning doves are pigeons?!

I always thought they looked retarded when they flew off for a reason!
Actually NO morning Doves are not true pigeons, but they are in the same family(taste the same), here in central Texas we have the little spanish dove which we call morning doves, we have the regular medium size gray dove which we call the regular native to around here dove, we also have what is called the white wing dove which is a little smaller than a grown pigeon but bigger than a regular gray dove, we also have the ring neck doves which are larger like the white wing dove, yes they are all in the pigeon family but doves don't live in building and hang out under bridges like pigeons do thank goodness..........!!! for that.

Oh and before I forget............they all taste the same.........GOOD.....!

dance1

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I third this comment. I used rust oleum "12oo BBQ" paint and any time even a drop o fuel got on it I had to re paint it because it just ate straight thru the paint. This thread is going to help me choose my next engine paint so school me guys! Lots of great input so far.
VHT & Dupli Color engine paints and high heat header paints are completely fuel resistant once they are cured good, same is true for the equipment enamels at tractor supply, not as big of a color choice in those but plenty of basic colors.

I may be missing some others that I've used over the years on automotive engine rebuilds and other small engines I've built and painter on Go Karts and such, haven't messed with painting things much in a long time, seems like the old Krylon Paints used to hold up just fine to gas years ago but I dont know if it still does or not.

Map
reddd

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Shan,
If you ever get the chance to go to the roof of a commercial building where pigeons roost, I guarantee you'll never eat another one. They are the only animal that I know of that builds its own nest and raises its young in its own feces. That is a fact. I've seen mounds of the stuff with eggs and/or young birds nestled in it. The stink??? You wouldn't want to be near it.

Ever hear of Legionnaire's Disease? It originated from pigeon droppings (feces) that was found in the fresh air intakes of a building.
Still want to have them over for dinner? :)

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
The rich folks call 'em "squab" when it's on the menu ......guess it sounds less.......bohemian....lol!!

I work at a big box store with a garden center. I also am less than enthusiastic about pigeons.