This not-whizzer looks interesting

GoldenMotor.com

Somethingdumb

Jun 10, 2012
massachusetts
I'm pretty new to Whizzers and Whizzer like things. I've never seen one in person but I really want one and actually need one (it would fit my specific commuting purposes far better than a car, motorcycle or moped would).
Does this seem legitimate?

It looks really interesting and seems to be exactly what I need but I've heard that there are huge amounts of poorly constructed engines out there from several different manufacturers.
It's far cheaper than what I would call an "actual whizzer", which seems to have as much to do with aesthetic as it does branding, landing this bike exactly in my price range.
On a side note, can someone tell me what kind of bike is in that last picture?

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome to the forum.

First, let me say that Whizzers, while expensive and kinda fancy, are not all that reliable, and have a lot of QC and reliability problems of their own.

Second, the type of bike you show, with a Chinese engine kit, are not all that bad if properly set up/built. The hub adapter is non-standard issue, and much better than stock, although the chain is a bit too tight.

Finally, I don't know what kind of motorcycle the third picture is...

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
The bike in the first pic is a beauty. I have never seen the other but looks interesting.

Somethingdumb

Jun 10, 2012
massachusetts
It does say, specifically, that it's not one of "This is not just the bolt on kit most people sell on Craig's list". The guy selling says it cruises at 30-35 and maxes out at about 42 mph and, whatever condition the bike was in originally, he put at least 750 bucks into restoring it. He's only asking for 1100 OBO.
Some more details that I learned: CNC machined billet sprocket and hub mount adapter for engine, hand fabricated steel torpedo gas tank, and the bike was tested for over 100mi
This guy really put a lot of work into his bike. Man, I sure would like to have it.

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I've seen that black-and-red bike on the forum before. One of our regulars built it. I can't, for the life of me, remember whose bike it is, but I myself would trust it. I seem to remember following the build for a short bit.

I don't know what the other bike is.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
The last picture looks like a Sachs motorbike. Kreidler also made mopeds with lines like this one, but both made their own engines and this one looks like a Sachs. As far as Whizzers are concerned, I've heard stories from old timers who rode Whizzers cross country and used them for everyday transport.. The newer ones are a different story since they were made in Taiwan, not the US. You can still make the new ones perfectly reliable, but it takes a lot of upgrades and a good bit of money. Check Quenton Guenther's posts on the subject. I have a 99 WC-1 and now that I have it "fixed" I would take it anywhere. With a battery and alternator for lights/horn/turn signals, and brakes on both wheels, heavy duty rims and spokes and heavy duty frame, it's safer than some MBs. I added thorn proof tubes and better tires and swapped out all of my cables for heavy duty scooter cables for a little more insurance.