Pulsejet Engine Kits

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
When I posted it last night I had more info in the post.. the forums were pretty laggy, looks like it got mangled a bit. (I hit "submit" and got a time-out back after a minor edit).

The company is Maddoxjets.com, they have plans and kits that can be ordered (lots of bike builds in the plans section).
Looks like a motor goes for around $850.

The pulse jet is the 2-stroke of jet engines, a series of blasts at the top of the chamber using back pressure for both compression and ignition. More info at Wikipedia.

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
Oh sweet lord!
GIMME A BREAK!
Even the builder of that monstrosity says its not practical.
The Brits back in WWII called these "Buzz Bombs" for a good reason.
Without SERIOUS hearing protection, I estimate total deafness after a few rides.
And I was worried about the noise from my 66cc 2 smoker.
Good luck with that!
FR

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
There are pressure jet engines with no moving parts at all besides the throttle.

Build The Gluhareff Pressure Jet Engine Get The Plans

They show in the info packet bicycles with these mounted. They use the pressure of propane with tuned ports to make these work.
Yea those Gluhareffs are pretty cool, but still very loud and get very hot when running ( exterior shell when running glows red hot! )

But other than these I suppose the classic ramjet engines are the smallest and simplest, zero moving parts, but an ear shattering noise that will wake the dead!

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
You can build one out of an old tomatoe can. Not very practical, but is kindu fun. Or a glass jar too. Looks amaaazing if you can see it slow motion.

btw the video linked in the beginning of the thread is not a valveless pulse jet. That one has a reedvalve. While it is made out of steel the reedvalves get destroyed within a matter of seconds or minutes depending on the quality of the cut. Think of it like a piece of steel getting hit with a hammer 1000's of times per second.

It's a more sophisticated design for sure. I always wanted to put two of these on my car :) Somebody pulls up thinking I'm a ricer for putting fake jet engines on my car.. Flip a few switches, twist a valve, push a button and BOOM everyones deaf and I slowly, oh so slowly, roll off into the distance.

These engines aren't very powerful. You can always put an augmentor on it though which greatly increases torque which I suppose may make you get going faster at low speeds. Will destroy your top end though. Anyway... Good fun! :D

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
They are good for one thing: nobody in their right mind would want to tailgate you. Granted, not all motorists are in their right mind. But I imagine the jet fumes just might stall their engine from lack of oxygen. (Maybe? Possible?)

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
The Glhuey engines only run under high pressure. They run hot, very loud, and are not practical for any use. Only the turbines work well and are used widely for rc planes.