Controversial engine break-in technique

GoldenMotor.com

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I just ordered a jet66. I'm going to break it in using Bairdco's method but I'm going to use mineral based oil at a 32:1 ratio for the first gallon or 100 miles, whichever comes first.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
mr.gadget said:
OK, Now I feel like our motor is already doomed!!!!!
I found this site after I bought our kit and bike. First I read to run 16:1 and real slow for 500 miles. Then I read that 16:1 is too rich and should break it in at 24:1. After 2 gallons of gas I switched untill I get to 500 miles and drop to 32:1.[quote/]

dont sweat it man i broke my motor in really badly i also rode with 16/1 for at least 500 miles till i figured out 32/1 is best my motor seems to be running ok i know it aint the best but seriously i have done alot of rough stuff with this motor im sure yours is fine

i too didnt know anybetter about oil mixter and break in i rode it the first 100 or so mile with out a exaust pipe casue first it fell apart then it fell off

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
Thanks for the words of wisdom WildAlaskan. No sweat like you said, I am more greatfull for the low end torque anyways, and I have said in other posts that I actually enjoy cruising around at 20mph on a Sunday afternoon because ,,,,,,well, Just because. I am very surprised that a 66/80cc motor diplays this amount of torque, and I am not in a hurry to get anywhere anyways.
But I do enjoy the speed once in awhile

This will turn out to be a $100 question, If I broke it in different,,, would it really run different???? It's going to cost me $100 to find out. Not because everyone here tells me it will because they did it, or has the experiance to justify results. But so many factors influance the outcome, the only way to really know,, is to do it. That comes later. For now I will just enjoy the two bikes I have, and the time I am spending with my kids riding MotorBikes.
Thanks Guys.

Tons of Fun, Keep it safe.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
yeah heres the 100 dollarquestion conundrum these motors quality when built are so poor you could buy two motoras from the same vender and they could be completly different in power ranges or simple build quality so in reality it would be a 300 or 400 dollar question cause you would have to buy a good quality motor or maybe a 800n dollar question cause you would have to buy two motors and break em both in on a dyno or something to different standards but then again with a better built motor they would probly be built so nice there wasnt any real improvment in either one so it is indeed a conundrum

i got lucky with my motor other than sripping a few bolts and changing the seal i havent had any major problems the majority of the problems i had where with the carb just yesterday j noticed the fuel input was loose for some reason it seems i take the thing apart once a month

both kits i got from zoombicycles turned out pretty well im not to worried about engine life on my current motor cause i know i have done things to it and with it that i shouldnt have i can always borrow my dads bike one reason i keep that baby in top condition and never ride it so its there and ready when i need it

if you guys are like me and so many others you wont stop at one or two or three motor bikes you will never really stop so these beginer motors are a learning experience for me the next one mb will always be built better and ran with more experience

Last edited:

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I ride 15 minutes, shut it down. Ride for 10, all @ 15 mph or less. Let it cool, then whatever it's geared to, for a short distance. for two tanks of fuel. (c)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
WildAlaskan has a point, there's enough variance between even the same model engines from the same factories that I suspect we'll never know lol

To further confuse & befuddle, even the "experts" don't entirely agree on the "best" break in technique, though obv written for four strokes - I thought ya'll might find this interesting: New Engine Break-in Procedure

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Been doing this with my engines since I found it some time ago.
They all run great. .wee.

Yamaha R1, CBR600rr, the Morini, and 3 HT's.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Just thought I'd put it out there, see what ya'll think
Thanks for sharing this link. It's funny because back when I raced, the quickest way to break in your motor was to squirt WD-40 into your cylinder and Whala! Instant seated rings! LOL I have a spare Morini and after I'm done porting it, I'm going to try these break in technique.

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
BarleyAwake,
I had seen that link befor, but saw the length and felt too lazy to read it. So since you provided it again, I took the time to read it. Very informitive. More people should read it. After my nightly night ride, I am so happy with the performance of my motor, I am never going to jinx myself by hoping I can get top speed, when I have a motor that does a very good job, sound cool, and hauls my large behind around with a good amount of speed without any mods what so ever.

Easy Rider
Santa Cruz!!!! Although I am now in South Carolina, I was born and raised in San Luis Obispo. Remember the San Andreas frames (I saw two in Japan and it made me laugh!!) What I wouldn't give to ride the Cali trails again,,, and on one of your MotorBikes. I wonder If I could Ever talk you into building me a FS MB!!!! Or learn from a master.

Take Care,,,, Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Been doing this with my engines since I found it some time ago.
They all run great. .wee.

Yamaha R1, CBR600rr, the Morini, and 3 HT's.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Just thought I'd put it out there, see what ya'll think
I agree with Pat the motoman. always have "broken em in like you want em to ride", but there is one big caveat that no one has addressed, and I'd like to see what Pat thinks- he quotes, "The other factors that have changed are the vastly improved metal casting and machining
technologies which are now used. This means that the "wearing in" of the new parts
involves significantly less friction and actual wear than it did in the distant past."
this does not really apply to a cheaply made chinese engine whose design is stolen from a russian WWII era scooter engine.

just sayin...

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Moto man makes sense to me. I don't think you have to be excessive (don't over-rev or "redline" your engine unnecessarily, but after you warm it up get on it hard and do lots of accelerations. I think whatever is going to happen (success or failed engine) is going to happen regardless, so might as well ride it like you own it and get some thrill from it.

Someone I used to work for told tales, with a big grin, about when he worked for an auto dealership. lol. Like the article mentions, those people test riding your bike or car probably joy-rode in it. He said he used to put the pickups in 4x4 to drive down from the auto hauler, then gas them and do burnouts and stunts.

One thing to keep in mind is that a brand new HT engine run at WOT still won't reach it's full RPM's until it breaks in.

Last edited:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Opinions on this subject are just as bad as the best oil threads. I believe in just not pushing any new vehicle to the limits 1st 1000 mi and i've always had good luck.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The way I see it is and my voodoo logic..Wear a motor in with no load is bad on rings. Why because its critical at this point in juncture for the rings to establish a good even trained wear pattern. With no load on the piston rings they would be more pron to simply chatter as the piston travels up and down. So just idling the thing and revving it would be a bad idea under this logic.

You got's to ride it.

After a break in period this wear pattern is established better there for less erratic chatter per say as the wear pattern has train in and established it's course correctly or is what it is.

I like to do my first good run on a sweet steady 4 mile long or even longer hill. Doesn't need to be vertical.laff Just a nice steady incline. ''A steady load'' Last I don't really pamper my motors ether. I ride it like I expect it to perform for the most part!!dnut

Last edited:

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I only used 16:1 for the first gallon. After that I did another half-gallon of 24:1 and then 32:1. I'm now using 40:1 of Red Line Ester Synthetic, and it's still running great.

I seem to remember some guy on this forum trying to "break in" his engine by starting it and then standing the bike next to a tree and letting it idle for a few hours. If memory serves me right, the bike ended up running like total crap.

If I ever swap my engine or build a new MB, I'm probably going to just go with a 32:1 mix for break-in of the ester synthetic and switch to 40:1 after a tank or two. I've ridden it really hard since the beginning, and that doesn't seem to have effected anything.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have been breaking in new and rebuilt engines the way the link suggests loooong before I ever knew about the link. I have never had a failure from it nor have I had a disappointed customer.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Hehehehe. I guess if you don't have any hills, you can find a grassy spot no one cares about, dress the wheel in an old tire on the way out, and just stand there and do burnouts on the dirt till you thought it was done seating rings or what you needed to do.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Hehehehe. I guess if you don't have any hills, you can find a grassy spot no one cares about, dress the wheel in an old tire on the way out, and just stand there and do burnouts on the dirt till you thought it was done seating rings or what you needed to do.
Ride it around on rickity bare bent wheels and drag some road kill behind you with it. laff

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
then you might get on the news!

http://motorbicycling.com/f28/mb-news-28113-10.html
mb's in the news thread

Alaska troopers need help picking up road-killed moose
CHARITIES: It sometimes takes two dozen calls to get someone to butcher carcass.
The Associated Press
Published: January 10th, 2011 10:12 AM
Last Modified: January 10th, 2011 10:13 AM
FAIRBANKS -- Alaska Wildlife Troopers in Fairbanks are taking applications from people willing to collect moose killed on area roads.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2011/01/09/1640479/troopers-need-help-to-pick-up.html#ixzz1coKFtsvs