will this work?

GoldenMotor.com

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
I don't see why it won't work. I suppose those rims are 36 spokes and I'd recommend a hub with a freewheel axle for the engine sprocket such as this:

bicycle Motorized BIKE GAS ENGINE - 36 T freewheel Axle | eBay

Reasons are:

1) The way the sprocket is bolted to the spokes on the rear wheel puts some added stress to them. It bent my spokes and even knocked the rim out of true causing a lot of irritating runout against the rear brakes.

2) There is a lot of drag from the chain and clutch mechanism which makes pedalling much harder. The freewheel takes care of that.

The stock method of starting those engines is to pedal to 5+ mph and pop the clutch. Unfortunately with the freewheel axle you wouldn't be able to start the engine that way so you'd have to get a pull starter add on like:

PULL START 49cc 60cc 66cc 80cc Engine Motorized Bike | eBay

And you'll also need wider pedal cranks that will clear the engine after the pull starter is installed such as this:

bicycle Motorized BIKE GAS ENGINE parts - wider crank | eBay or

KingsMotorBikes - Bicycle Engine Miscellaneous Parts Wide Pedal Crank Kit, 3-Piece Crank (Free Shipping)

but if you really want to ride in style you can forget the axle, crank, and pull starter and get a shift kit like this:

Sick Bike Parts

so you can use lower gears for hill climbing and higher gears for speed.

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
thanks i just want to make sure but ill go with the stock method what bike did you have>?
I had a inexpensive bike like the one you are getting. I bought mine from Target a few years back. The spokes weren't strong enough to deal with the torque from the engine which caused some problems. There are hub adapters out there that don't bolt the sprocket onto the spokes and will ensure that the sprocket has minimal runout and proper alignment with the engine.

Also be sure to read though the threads that other 1st timers are creating. Many people have ran into some issues in one form or another and have asked or made suggestions for the resolutions to those issues. Some of the most common include problems with the cheap low quality hardware that comes with these kits - particularly the studs used for mounting the engine to the frame. Best thing to do is plan on just replacing the mounting studs and other hardware with higher quality parts. Too many people have ridden for a short time and all of the sudden the studs snap leaving them stranded a few miles from help or home.

Also while these kits try to be as complete as they can they are not exactly 'one size fits all.' They can't make a kits that will fit every bike so expect some customization. While some people just want to put that thing on it and go others take pride in the challenge of putting their rides together.

And as always, if you run into issues don't hestitate to ask someone here on the forum. Chances are more likely than not that others here have ran into the same issues and worked with others to help resolve them. Lastly, have fun.

Last edited: