Ok, I give up. How do you start these things?!

GoldenMotor.com

sterno666

Jul 19, 2010
Louisiana
So I went out this morning fully expecting not to get her started, and voila! running. It seemd that my fuel/air mix was way too rich and basically flooding the engine.

I like the engine I got from Zoom but the installation instructions are really bad. If I knew less about mechanics I would have been lost just trying to install the motor.

Now I have a different problem; no power. I can kickstart the engine but when I get on to ride and let off the clutch, it'll die even if I kick her in the guts. Could that me my fuel/air mix? Am I now too lean? What is a good idle for these engines? I know it'll change once I've broken it in.

Also, I'm getting smoke from the engine itself. Is that normal? Is it just grease on the outside burning off?

I just ran her for 5ish minutes and am letting her cool down. Thanks to everyone for all the help!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yeah, these engines don't have enough torque to pull you off the line so you have to "pedal assist" yourself away from dead stops. just enough to get it rolling, then drop the clutch and the engine will take over.

the smoke, assuming you're not burning tons of oil, is probably the paint burning off the exhaust pipe. i thought my first bike was on fire when i first ran it...

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I have a 49cc ZB kit and I found the stock carb setting was too rich; it used to die while idling after warming up for a bit. Do you have the 49cc kit? You may need to move the c-clip up a notch or two.

Also make sure the white wire isn't accidentally grounded somehow...it's always worth checking =]

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Yes, by running a larger rear sprocket.
Larger sprocket = more torque and slower top speed.

I have a 40 tooth on mine and I am impressed by the hill climbing torque it has although I do have to pedal assist it. It will not climb up the hill all on it's own.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I run a 56T and I can take off from a dead stop without feathering the clutch more than like a car but I still pedal a little bit to make the clutch last longer. My top speed is only around 20-23 mph.

sterno666

Jul 19, 2010
Louisiana
I might try that 56. I don't really care about top speed. If I wanna go fast I'll just ride my motorcycle. I just think these bikes are neat and 20-25 mph is good enough for me....for now...