bones from southside chitown...

GoldenMotor.com

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
27 year old funeral director from south chicago here. I've been trolling these boards for a while now... finally decided to enlist since I truly plan on getting a bike soon. I have the the type gf who dislikes the idea of motorcycles, and I've been seeing more and more of the mb stuff online... so I think it is something I can ease her into...

1- Get a cruiser bicycle...
2- Paint and polish it...
3- Add a springer fork...
4- Order the engine kit and, at first, only put the gas tank on...
"Look at how cute it is with that gas tank on it honey!"
5- Lastly... Intall the engine when she's not looking!!!

For now I am still debating over what bike to use... torn between the nirve b1, the manhattan flyer, or just go with a cheap cranbrook (since it is my 1st build).

Well, thats it for now... hope to share advice and pictures in the future...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bones,
Welcome and glad you've decided to join us. Sorry, can't offer any advice on GFs and motorized bicycles but anything else about bikes we're here to help. Good luck on your build and keep reading. There's a lot of good information here and especially on the Cranbrook. Its a popular low dollar bike that has a reasonably good reputation. Send us pics of your build when its ready to ride. Here's some reading material for you> http://motorbicycling.com/search.php?searchid=372581
Tom

Last edited:

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
Hahaha... good advice nougat... I forget about the lack of a ring sometimes (she's just got this way of telling me what to do)! Women... can't live with em'... and can't live with em'! (and no, that was not a typo)! Lol...
I read that link Tom... great stuff... a lot of those pictures of the cranbrook builds are amazing... pretty much made up my mind on the donor selection!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If my information is correct ( from the manager of the local Target store) the Jaguar has been discontinued and replaced by the Southport; same bike, different color scheme. I have two Jags and they are a good platform for motorizing however they do require a custom front motor mount, as do many of the cruiser framed bikes. Here's a link to that problem and how many of us have solved it. http://motorbicycling.com/f6/oversized-tubing-solved-6427.html Good luck, Bones.
Tom

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
I picked up a cranbrook tonight... (im right by the indiana border where tax isn't bad)... $88 before tax. I also ordered the pugasta (spelling?) tank on ebay. Here are my plans for now...
1- strip frame and tank... repaint flat black
2- add tan tires, tan grips and a tan saddle (mounted boardtrack style)
4- scrap the fenders and use a bent springer with front brake
5- replace cheap huffy pedals
6- add a manic sprocket adapter and motor mount
7- ht engine

im not good at sketching, but i can picture it in my head...

p.s. - i actually thought about fabricating a coffin tank, but i have absolutely no welding skill... :(
(maybe one day)!!!

also... note to others... its near impossible to fit a assembled cranbrook in a chevy aveo... but it can be done!

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
27 year old funeral director from south chicago here. I've been trolling these boards for a while now... finally decided to enlist since I truly plan on getting a bike soon. I have the the type gf who dislikes the idea of motorcycles, and I've been seeing more and more of the mb stuff online... so I think it is something I can ease her into...

1- Get a cruiser bicycle...
2- Paint and polish it...
3- Add a springer fork...
4- Order the engine kit and, at first, only put the gas tank on...
"Look at how cute it is with that gas tank on it honey!"
5- Lastly... Intall the engine when she's not looking!!!

For now I am still debating over what bike to use... torn between the nirve b1, the manhattan flyer, or just go with a cheap cranbrook (since it is my 1st build).

Well, thats it for now... hope to share advice and pictures in the future...

Hey, thanks for the great idea. So far in Alaska I've had a pretty good reception with my motorized bikes, but I don't feel like being a martyr to the cause, so when I go to another locale, I think I will just ride a regular bike with a fuel tank installed past the local police station while making motor sounds. If I don't get a second look, I should be good to go. :>)

I don't have any advise on the donor bike or girlfriends, but welcome and enjoy.:-||

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
Sweet ride man... i ordered the same tank i think... pagsta on ebay? Was it hard to mount? I wanna paint it flat black and throw an old school pinup girl decal on each side... (still have to order the cap and petcock)... will take some time because im spending my money too fast! For now i have a disassembled cranbrook to sand and paint! SS REPRESENT! Lol... is there a motorbike gang around here?

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
I started a new thread here...
http://motorbicycling.com/f26/slow-going-14406.html
I got most of my parts in, just a few things I'm waiting on. I have the engine kit in, but I ordered a motor mount from creatve engineering that might take awhile to get, so for now I'm just polishing out all the other details. I actually want to rid it around a couple times to make sure its intact as a "regular bike!" Have you posted pics of your build(s)?