Strumy archer front drum questions

GoldenMotor.com

lucajo16

Dec 12, 2013
cincinnati, ohio
So kings and others sell this wheelset for around 200 and it comes with a front drum and rear coaster brake. Now I've looked all over but it doesn't say it comes with a tab for a Wal Mart bike. I really want to buy a set because I need better wheels but can't justify the cost if I can't use that drum....thoughts on how I could use it if it don't come with a tab big enough for a wally world bike!?

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Are you worried about attaching brake arm? Brakes come with a band that you just wraps around fork and the drum arm goes in a slot.

lucajo16

Dec 12, 2013
cincinnati, ohio
Ok I'll order it and keep that in mind. Every vid I've seen for this clip seems to look to small for the fat forks of Wal Mart bikes though but I'll order one soon thanks

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Or you can make your own hold-down using flat steel. That's what I did.

Just choose a socket that's about the same diameter as those forks and bend around it. Drill through both ends. Match it up with a straight piece.

Works like a charm.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
The band that comes with it will fit around a 7/8" tubular fork, but you'll need a longer bolt.

If you have to make one yourself, make sure it's steel, and strong.

Zipties and hoseclamps will NOT work. There's a tremendous amount of force on that arm when the brake is applied, and if it's not attached securely, it'll spin the hub around and lock up the brake.

Trust me on this.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
The best thing is to get a fork with a disc tab; they are designed for use with one sided braking force and won't bend or twist, and you can drill a hole in the brake arm and mount it direct to one of the IS disc mount holes.