Ignition system check

GoldenMotor.com

SomeOldGuy

Aug 6, 2013
Incline Village,Nevada
What I did to check the spark and ignition system was to remove the magneto cover and spin the crankshaft with an electric drill. I modified an old 1/4" socket extention , put a socket on it and then spun the motor with an electric drill. Works great. It sure beats pedaling.
The big problem I found was the OEM spark plug connector. The brass insert can unscrew itself and lose current. I lopped it off and soldered on a ring connector to the HT wire and screwed the electrode barrel connector on to secure it. I also cut two slots on top of it so it can be installed and removed with a screwdriver.
There's an old drag racer's trick for improving a plug's spark; use a Dremel or file to round the hanging electrode to match the profile of the core electrode. The spark gets concentrated into the shortest distance of the gap.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Getting rid of the kit supplied spark plug boot should be the first thing you do when installing a kit on your bike. It is by far the weakest link. Toss it in the trash and don't use it.

Preferably you should use a good automotive quality boot which will snap securely onto a plug with the top cap installed. This will provide a good electrical connection for the high voltage.
Your idea of a 'ring connector' will work but it leaves the top of the plug exposed with the potential of electrical shock if touched and arcing to a ground if anything gets close enough to it.

The kit boot is poorly designed, heavy and offers a questionable electrical path to the plug. It is prone to the engine vibrations and they are notorious for falling apart and quite possibly responsible for premature and unexplained CDI failure due to them allowing the high voltage to not reach the plug properly and arcing within the CDI.

Chris Hill, now out of business, used to provide automotive grade boots with his kits but to my knowledge every vendor out there today still relies on those plastic pieces of junk.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Good tip about the boot. I have one to put on. I still like the idea of the ring connector though. Back in the day that was the standard - decidedly low tech, but it always worked.
Keeps curious fingers away from engine parts too...
I've had several motor toys with exposed wires and love to laugh my behind off when people stick a hand too close and get the snot zapped out of them!
Comedy gold right there...!

SomeOldGuy

Aug 6, 2013
Incline Village,Nevada
Yeah, but after the stinging goes away, a good high voltage shock gives you a feeling of calmness and well being.
(40+ years of working on video games and the like- the voice of experience)