New here.

GoldenMotor.com

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
All right, I checked the throttle cable by the grip and I think I found the problem. On the bottom of the throttle grip there is a screw that the cable goes through. I didn't put it all the way in when I assembled the throttle. I tightened it up all the way and it put about another inch of throttle pull in the grip. I hope that is it. I'm gonna go on another test ride and will let you know what happens.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I had assembled my carb's throttle wrong. When I got it right and cut off the air leak I was good. Except by then I had screwed up the plastic throttle so I converted it to a thumb throttle using a mtb shifter. Good luck.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Oh yeah don't know if you realize you can pull the carb from the intake and see the needle move up and down as you work the throttle by looking in the intake end of the carb.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
Yeah I had noticed that, but I thought I had all the slack in it that I could get. I think that the screw in thing in the bottom of the grip is the problem.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well you can see if the needle is closing all the way or hanging up somewhere if so you can figure out why. That should put you ahead of the game. If it is closing then you know that isnt it.

The idle adjustment is to stop it from closing down nothing more. If you run it out all the way the needle will just close down max then as you run it in, it forces the needle to rise from the seat. or as is usual it just wont seat completely when the idle is adjusted correctly,

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
That was the problem. I pulled too much slack out though. Now it dies when I pull in the clutch. I'm just gonna have to tweak it to find where it won't stall and won't rev up when I pull in the clutch handle. Thank you for bringing that to my attention Deacon. If you wouldn't have said that I would not have even thought to check the cable and make sure it was adjusted right.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
ah then you are all fixed up and ready to make the little adjustment and ready to go. Good for you have fun,

Also remember you need to set your idle too. back it off 4 turns from dead tight and then adjust the cable length.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Now that you've got slack in the cable, just screw your idle screw in until you have the correct idle speed.

If you push down the "tickler" on the carb for a few seconds (2-3) it should start up a lot easier. You aren't doing the engine any good if you are really cranking it for 45 seconds before it starts.

Last edited:

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
I tried the tickler for a few seconds and it didn't start any easier. I just got done pushing the bike home because I set the idle too low and it died when I pulled in the clutch and wouldn't restart. It seems like my clutch is slipping a little. Once I have it going, the engine will rev up when I give it gas but the bike doesn't speed up. I was ridin it in the rain just a few minutes ago when I couldn't get it start back up. How bad is rain for these things? Any other ideas on how to get it to start easier?

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Do you have an inline fuel filter between the gas tank and carb? Sorry if you've already answered this but I forget and too lazy to go back and read. If not that could be your problem, maybe a partiial blockage or some carp in you carb. Norman kept telling me to get one but I didn't think I needed it. I got to having problems with it starting and running so I put a filter in, cleaned the carb and no more problems................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You might need to adjust that cable the other way. You might have too much slack in it now. Or the idle screw set wrong.

Remember when trouble shooting start at the last thing you did.

If that is all okay, then look for air leaks. Remember you have been running it fuel heavy now that you have that down, you might have had an air leak all along that made it balanced now it is out of balance. Look at your manifold tube as a possible source of an air leak. It is by far the most likely. With your choke set at about half it should start in just a few yards. I always stop mine when it starts then warm it up enough to turn the choke off completely before I take off the first time. After the first time it usually isn't necessary to choke it again.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
Well, I think the idle might have been right or close to it. When I first went out this morning, I was able to pull in the clutch lever and it didn't die. It idled pretty low, though, so I might be able to fix it by speedin up the idle a little bit. It only did that the last time when I couldn't get it to restart. I don't know if it had anything to do with the rain or not. I don't know what to think about the starting issue though. Sometimes I have to go about 100 yards or so before it will fire up. What do I check to fix that?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
rain won't really hurt them, unless you ride in excessive amounts, then it may short the ignition.

You have an air leak, and I wouldn't keep running the bike until you fix it or you'll be looking for a new engine soon.

As for the clutch, take the cover off, remove the little screw and turn the star nut clockwise a turn and then try it agian. You may have to go a turn ot two.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
I tried turning the star screw about a turn and a half. It made the clutch lever a lot easier to pull in. I haven't tried to start it up yet though. All I had to seal the airleak from the intake was RTV gasket seal so I'm waiting for it to cure. Can't ride it until 6 tomorrow night. I'll let ya know whats up. Thank uyou to every one that has been helpin me out with this thing. It probably wouldn't have lasted much longer if you guys weren't noticing that things were wrong.