Hello from Québec, Canada

GoldenMotor.com

bigtom

Mar 30, 2008
Hi everyone ! I'm brand new in the motorized bicycle world and I'm just excited to install mine asap ! But watch my case, it is some challenge for those who like to use their mind ! :eek:
I own a Felt MP cruiser (see the link for pix : CustomBrigade) that I want to convert in a moped style but I face some difficulties:
- first of all I have a 7 internal speeds Nexus Shimano rear hub with coaster brake and the left flange is too wide for sprocket hole. I don't think that I can just lean it against the flange because of the chain line. And the sprocket teeth may certainly touch the left chain stay of the frame. Maybe I could drill or file the hole to enlarge it but I have to think of the fixing bolts that will be too close to the enlargement, and I don't even know if my bolts will pass throw the spokes (32, gauge 14, crossed 3, 50mm wide rims, just heavy duty my friend ).
- Then my tubing is pretty beefy so for fixing the engine, I'll have to review all the fixing gear. I dislike the idea of drilling my down tube frame so I'll try to find some way to built a customed attach or fixing gear.
- and the tank is designed for an ovoide tubing shape (round). Mine is a tank styled frame. (see pix). The bolts that are welded in the bottom of the tank are designed again to accomodate a certain tubin diameter. Mine is oversized and prevent me to lean the tank against the frame. Here again, I'll have to find a way to fix firmly and safely the tank on the bike (with some metal plates, straps and foam, I don't know yet)...

I'll take some more detailed pictures and measurments next post to be more precise.

So I told you it's no vacation ! And if I want to ride asap (the sooner the better), I need your wisdom. And don't tell me to change my bike.

I know it would be simplier to buy a good old 200 $ cruiser Schwinn at Canadian Tire, but I like to have some challenge, so if anyone as solved those problems, any comments and advice will be welcome. The worst for the moment is the sprocket. Should I check for a motorcycle or moped rear sprocket ? I know that I have to check the thickness of the sprocket, to fit a 415 chain.

Some other questions: I read that the spark and the wire is no sh.. in the chinese kit. Were could I find some good ones ? What kind of spark : I read in another post, it takes a cold one ? which #? And the wire, a 7 mm copper ? Where do I buy this ? Canadian Tire for example, or a motorcycle shop ? What's the best ?

I hope to capture your interest, thank you for your attention, hope my request isn't to long, and above all, excuse my english, I'm not used to speak and write a lot in english, but I'm motivated by my passion.

Thomas
Ps : the emoticons don’t work ?!

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Welcome to the Forum....Sounds like you have a challenge ahead of you!! There are several ways to mount these motors and tanks. From using U bolts around the frame to speacialized adapters. As for the spark plugs...upgrading is a good idea, Cruiser will be able to help you out on that one.

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
welcome you can use a round file on the sprocket to make it fit your hub. takes a bit of time. but its simple.

good luck I will keep an eye out for those pictures.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Welcome my suggestion is to take it one challenge at a time. To enlarge the center hole of the sprocket, I used a metal rasp that fits my 3/8 inch hand drill. I think I paid about six bucks for it. I just drew a circle about an 1/8 in wide around the opening then ground out the metal to the edge. It wasn't pretty but I did it in less than half hour.

the only way to know about the bolts that go through your spokes is to try it, once you get the sprocket hole big enough to fit. Just fit one first then try the one directly opposite it. leave them loose till you get them all though the sprockets then tighten them. It might spread your spokes a little but it shouldn't do any real damage.

Also if anyone tells you to dump you bike tell them where to go. It is a beautiful ride. Also I know the urge to ride right away but it takes a week or two to do the first install. Well it took me that long but I had some real issues. I seized my engine lol

Oh yeah I didn't do it myself but I saw a motor mounted using a muffler clamp and thought that would be the best for a large frame. A muffler clamp uses a U bolt but also a bracket that is u shaped on one side and flat on the other. Get one big enough and it should work beautifully.

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum. My advice would be like deacon. Just take it one problem at a time. You'll have it up and going before you know it.......................

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hi tom and welcome to the forum. part of the fun of these is modifiying things to make them work. if you run in to trouble let us know and we will be glad to help you. glad to have you with us (^)

bigtom

Mar 30, 2008
Thanks guys for all the encouragement ! And I'm conscious that I'll have to take one problem at a time, my impatience is more due to seeing the winter finish, that means I'll be able to ride !
Tom

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon its getting close to morel mushroom season and I wish I had a good excuse to come out your way I love to hunt the shrooms.
Norman

bigtom

Mar 30, 2008
hi tom and welcome to the forum. part of the fun of these is modifiying things to make them work. if you run in to trouble let us know and we will be glad to help you. glad to have you with us (^)

Hi Cruiser, RedB66 replied me that for the spark and wire upgrade, I should ask you:
«As for the spark plugs...upgrading is a good idea, Cruiser will be able to help you out on that one»

I read in some other site that for the chinese 80cc kit, it's preferable to change the spark and wire fo better ones. Especialy the spark, a colder one and for wire, a 7mm copper wire. Is that correct, and where could I buy thoses items ? Thanks for your help!
Tom

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
7mm is whats important. i have tried both copper and regular and no real difference. you can buy the wire by the foot at napa auto if you have one near you. they have good quality wire. alot of these kits the wire that comes with them is junk to put it mildly. when you put on the new wire take a screw and screw it into the side that goes into the cdi. not a lot just a little then take the screw out and spin the wire onto the cdi. their is a screw in the cdi and pre threading the new wire makes it a whole lot easier to get on their