Hello from Kentucky

GoldenMotor.com

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
hey guys! I'm a newbie to the whole motorized bicycle thing. I've actually been interested in these things for several years now, and I'm finally going to build one. I'm planning it as a winter project- Not that it should take me that long to actually build it, I'm just extremely poor. My idea is a 2hp, 4 stroke 50cc engine mated to a standard cruiser (not very origional, I know) I want to keep it very basic, very old school. Flat black paint, no fenders or chain gaurds, 15 inch ape hangers, as little chrome as possible. Again, I'm a newbie at this, so expect lots of cries for help in the comming months!

.duh.

CHIPS X

Jul 13, 2009
South Central Minneapolis
Welcome aboard buchatron! I haven't begun my project yet either, my kit is coming early next week or sooner and I have a Flying O cruiser that I am setting up, hopefully with little to no modifications to it's original look. I am close to getting photos up of the "before " bike, stay tuned.....Chips

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
thanks for making me feel welcome, guys. I'll be ordering my motor in september (too many bills next month) I haven't even found my project bike yet. I know I want a traditional beach cruiser, single speed with just a coaster brake. But I'll be sure to post "before, during and after" pics for you guys.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome butchatron, I know you'll enjoy what is offered here. This is the BEST place to come for help, so cry all you want. We're glad you've decided to step up and get into the world of Motorized Bicycles. It's a great hobby full of interesting and knowlegable folks.
If I could make one suggestion while you're still in the planning stages, seriously consider adding front brakes to your bike. I know you said you want 'old school' but the old bikes didn't have engines that could push them to speeds approaching, and sometimes surpassing 30MPH. With the added weight of an engine and accessories a single coaster brake can be just a little light in the stopping department. Keep us informed on your progress.
Tom

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
You're right about the front brake thing, 2door, wich is somthing I hadn't considered- so thanks for the info. Really, a front brake wont mess up my old-school image at all, and the brake lever will balance out the look of the bars, and I've very much into symetry.

PatMcLJr, Ping from Ashland!

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
Welcome to the forum butchatron. The great thing about motorized bikes is they can be build for almost no money. Go to all swap meets and shows. In Ohio we even have a big motorized bike/ scooter show once a year. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for advice.

Oldcliff

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
Welcome to the forum butchatron. The great thing about motorized bikes is they can be build for almost no money. Go to all swap meets and shows. In Ohio we even have a big motorized bike/ scooter show once a year. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for advice.

Oldcliff
Thanks for the welcome Oldcliff. You're absolutly right about the cost- I priced all the parts I need (including the bike) for $500 brand new. There are a ton of swapmeets where I live, so I'm sure I can build the bike of my dreams for less than that. Plus, I'm very interested in this Bike/scooter show, Can you give me anymore info about it? I'd for sure make a road trip to Ohio if it's worth it.