First post

GoldenMotor.com

GraingerDoodTim

Jun 20, 2009
Saint Petersburg, Fla
Hey All, new to this forum but not all that new to motorized bikes. Have a kulana moon dog bike frame with a 80cc or 66cc or 55cc or 77cc, or whatever they are now, engine on it. it was green then I stripped it and thought it would be the best if it was bare metal. Then i got a look at it and realized i was mistaken. So last weekend i cleaned it real good, primed it a couple times, sanded it once and rattle canned some nice deep blue coats on it. finished it up with some red on the stuff i needed to bolt back onto the blue frame and called it a day. looks more proper now than it did. Will post picture when i figure out how.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us. You'll have to make a few posts before you can upload pictures. Cuts down on spammers doing it that way. We have lots of fun here and there's a ton of info........................

Fisher

Jun 21, 2009
Jacksonville FL
hey this is my first post, im taking a 49cc engine off an abandond mini bike.
Do I need to get some kind of sproket, and if so how do i know which one to get?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Tim, welcome. I have a Kdawg. Makes for an awesome MB. Great quality for so lil $.
My wife calls it the "electric Avocado" snork

2nd and last pic is with a bent seat post (made by 2 Door) really makes for a good dawg and ride.

Post lots of pics when ya can.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Fisher, welcome. do you know the RPM of the engine? Have to figure out the gear ratio and all. Here is a link to Dax's parts page with sprockets. Many places to get them but have to know what you want for speed and power. ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_2

Above, do a search for "gear ratio" Lots of information.

Fisher

Jun 21, 2009
Jacksonville FL
thanks for some replies
There is no sprocket for me to take off of the mini bike.
I can't figure out what the rpm of the engine is
but ill check that stuff out
Thanks!!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Might be able to find some info online with any #'s found on the engine. Just a thought. Google is a DIYer's friend! If there are any or branding, post em here. Is amazing how well versed folks here are.

Never easy, but always fun...

Fisher

Jun 21, 2009
Jacksonville FL
found the number stamped on the engine, typed it in some different search engines and got nothing. What kind of sprocket would give me the most speed?
I Can take some pictures so everyone can see what i'm working with.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Pics always help. But is almost impossible to do the math with out knowing the RPM. Could spend lots of $ and find out it is 7,800 when you planed for 3600 RPM or versa vice.

What are the numbers and where are they on the engine? #s on the carb will give clues. Not great ones but would narrow things a bit. I have a buddy who is a second generation lawn mower/small engine guy and will ask him if we can't find any thing online.

Don't give up! This is just part of the party that is motorized bicycle riding.

dance1 <- you after 1st ride...

snork

Fisher

Jun 21, 2009
Jacksonville FL
ok so i can't find any information about the 49cc engine i have but is there a general sprocket i
can get that is made for speed, if so where can i get it?

what is the average price for a sprocket with a mounting kit?

Fisher

Jun 21, 2009
Jacksonville FL
oh sorry i didnt read the last post before i started typing.
I do have some numbers that came off the engine, they are 04102746 its stamped on the block close to where the engine mounted to the mini bike.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Fisher. Sorry for not getting back to this b4 now. I lost the thread. When drive chains are new, they stretch a good bit so while breaking in a new chain, I use a tensioner. Helps with making install easy and having a safe and right lengthened drive chain. Many folks think I am wrong on this but after that, I do away with them. Really, most folks think this is wrong so take it with a grain of salt.

I looked at many web pages searching for that #, but found nothing. Could use a tach to figure out the RPM. I have never done that but should work great. Thinking about it, would give you truer numbers then what the manufacture might tell you. Not saying they would lie, but with a used engine, might differ. Even with new, I dunno how close it would be. Cool thing to study, thanks! There is a thread on tachs. here is one that was mentioned;

Digital Hour Meter and Tachometer | Hour Meters + Gauges | Northern Tool + Equipment