Help! Removing OCC stingray decals

GoldenMotor.com

VariousVices

Dec 2, 2015
City of Night
Not easy, and they are already cracked and faded, so you figured it would be easy......nope! And I'd like to save the paint....any ideas? I've tried nail polish remover, gas and wd40.....

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A heat gun. Just be careful. Heat just the sticker and don't apply too much heat to the paint. After the sticker peels off you ca use any good solvent to remove whatever sticky stuff that remains. I've had good luck with 3M adhesive remover.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
never had good luck with my heat gun, but wd40 and a plastic scraper seems OK

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
been thinking why heat gun doesn't work for me - I suspect that new & pliable decals are diff from old and dried out decals, or perhaps older decals are diff materials from newer ones

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
been thinking why heat gun doesn't work for me - I suspect that new & pliable decals are diff from old and dried out decals, or perhaps older decals are diff materials from newer ones
Some newer stickers/decals are under a clear coat. The pin striping and lettering on the Nirve Switchblade are impervious to heat, solvents or adhesive remover. The only way to remove them is with sandpaper or paint stripper which will damage the paint under them.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I've had good luck with a rubber wheel that can be attached to a drill. You can get 'em at stores that cater to auto body shops --- they use the wheel to remove old crusty pinstripes.

Best of luck!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
A heat gun. Just be careful. Heat just the sticker and don't apply too much heat to the paint. After the sticker peels off you ca use any good solvent to remove whatever sticky stuff that remains. I've had good luck with 3M adhesive remover.

Tom
What Tom said. For the Stingray, a heat gun should work. But you will need time and patience. Don't try this on a day when you have a dentist appointment at 1 pm. Just go easy with the heat; don't fry the paint. After a little while the decal should curl off. You'll get it, I'm sure.

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
As said earlier, a heat gun probably isn't a bad idea as long as you're careful.

Also simple Vaseline (petroleum jelly in a jar that people use on scrapes/burns/lips) works really well to get rid of sticky residue.