clutch chatter

GoldenMotor.com

Martin 1940D28

Aug 24, 2011
massachusetts
Grubee 4GT kit w/ clutch chatter, big time, on take off, stops once momentum picks up. Since day one (2011). Seller said would stop after a bit. Never did. Been sitting now for 3 years. Still the same. Any cures, maybe? Thanks in advance.. DJ

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I have a Maxtorque centrifugal clutch on my bike and there has always been a little chatter. Ran the first for several years and am on my second. I tend to try to pedal up to speed a little more then get after it with the throttle. Seems to lessen the chatter for me. I don't really have any expertise with clutches, but I tend to think that trying to move me at 180lbs plus the bike is pushing the limit a bit/ Like you say, once you get going it stops, so I would just keep riding and look at it from time to time to make sure nothing is failing. I think it's the nature of the beast,
Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks Tinsmith for the reply. I put a bit of time into the problem. All better now.
Cool, what worked?

The "tinging" sound from cent clutches have always annoyed me and just makes a MB sound and look bad, IMO.

The sound is made by the bell (aptly named) being struck and barely scraped.

Ting, ting, tingy... Hate it! lol

But have been thinking a simple brush resting against the bell would stop the reverberation/bell sound?

Honestly, I hate that sound. (ting, ting, tinga...)

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
one way to get rid of that "ting ting ting" sound is to put a layer of rtv on the outside of the bell and everywhere else except the contact surface, that'll dampen out that ringing sound effectively, just do it after the last ride for the day so it has enough time to cure and clean the surfaces you plan on applying it so it'll stick good.

Another trick that works is get a can of that "flex seal" stuff and spray it on the outside of the bell, and on the inside of your clutch cover plates to dampen out even more noise.
It only needs to be about 1/16" thick or so to work.

Martin 1940D28

Aug 24, 2011
massachusetts
I disassembled the drive system and cleaned everything. Dressed up the clutch assembly, come to find out, one of the three centrifugal "fingers" would not move at all. I took my time with a couple of screw drivers slowly prying up and down until i could get a drop of gun oil in there. it works great now. It has been chattering sinceI built the bike in 2011. The people i bought the kit from said it was normal and would work itself out. Never did so I put it away 'til now. Are these motor kits still available?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
one way to get rid of that "ting ting ting" sound is to put a layer of rtv on the outside of the bell and everywhere else except the contact surface, that'll dampen out that ringing sound effectively, just do it after the last ride for the day so it has enough time to cure and clean the surfaces you plan on applying it so it'll stick good.

Another trick that works is get a can of that "flex seal" stuff and spray it on the outside of the bell, and on the inside of your clutch cover plates to dampen out even more noise.
It only needs to be about 1/16" thick or so to work.
Cool! Thanks, Dave. Gonna try that.

I disassembled the drive system and cleaned everything. Dressed up the clutch assembly, come to find out, one of the three centrifugal "fingers" would not move at all. I took my time with a couple of screw drivers slowly prying up and down until i could get a drop of gun oil in there. it works great now. It has been chattering since I built the bike in 2011. The people i bought the kit from said it was normal and would work itself out. Never did so I put it away 'til now. Are these motor kits still available?
Wow, Martin. That had to be insufferably loud. Must be operating much better as well? Would think it had to be slipping bad?

Came to find out I was using a 40T rear sprocket, thinking it was a 48. Had just thrown it on when when my 50T wheel soiled the bed linens. And this wheel already had the sprocket mounted. But with a 8:1 gear ratio, am beating the heck out of the poor clutch. Could be part of my problem, eh? snork

Martin 1940D28

Aug 24, 2011
massachusetts
Worked ok for a couple of days, back to its normal chattering self. I should have known better. Today I began converting it to an EZM unit that has been absolutely trouble free for several years, the engine having seen better days. Once you get past the 70 year mark, on the way to 73, guess yah gotta slowdown or "let the job catch up with ya".

Martin 1940D28

Aug 24, 2011
massachusetts
BIG difference with the EZM. A little slower taking off, but as smooth as silk throughout the range. Engine seems to run smoother without the "unbalanced?" weight on the end of the crankshaft.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Been on the road this past week, but glad to come back and find you happy with your efforts. In reference to the "slower taking off" and "smooth as silk" comment. Are you referring to yourself or the bike? Cause at this point in life I'm definitely slower taking off, but not smooth at silk.

Dan