New 80cc Engine Wont Start???

GoldenMotor.com

Berserker7

Apr 15, 2014
Butte,MT
I have a Brand new 80cc Engine that I bought on ebay.. I havent even got it to start once!
Its getting spark,killswitch unhooked, I dont know if its getting proper fuel..Plug still looks new,
Dont knowif fuels getting to piston?????
Also fuel line only 1/4 full ,rest appears to be air??? Tried little starting fluid and nothing, Doesnt even sound like it wants to start..:-||

Can anyone help....:-||

Last edited:

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
Hi I remember my first engine wouldn't start because I had put the oil in the tank first then fuel and of course it flooded with strait oil so had to flush carbie and refuel it started first pop the good thing was the engine was well lubed!

BobbyT

Mar 16, 2014
Santa Maria ca.
You might want to introduce yourself to the forum and I'm sure you will get some help.

Did you check for spark? Just asking because you say you have spark because the kill is unhooked. But didn't say you checked it. zpt

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
This may sound dumb but I've seen it happen to a guy .Make sure your clutch line is not to tight I had a guy bring me a bike he said it would not start at all .Yet come to find out all he had to do was release the brass lock that holds the cable going to the clutch arm an 1/8 of an inch.

Just like you said , he said the exact same thing " it doesn't even sound like it wants to start " I told him you may as well have been riding with the clutch pulled in all the way , it doesn't take much pull to disengage these clutches.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
This may sound dumb but I've seen it happen to a guy .Make sure your clutch line is not to tight I had a guy bring me a bike he said it would not start at all .Yet come to find out all he had to do was release the brass lock that holds the cable going to the clutch arm an 1/8 of an inch.

Just like you said , he said the exact same thing " it doesn't even sound like it wants to start " I told him you may as well have been riding with the clutch pulled in all the way , it doesn't take much pull to disengage these clutches.
Good point, it is hard to know what someone means when they say, it seems like it doesnt even want to start, dont ever know for sure if they mean engines isn't even tur ing over or that it is turning over but just not firing off or even sputtering like it's trying to start, all the china girl engines I have had always bust right off and run the very first try, they're so simple and easy to work on if someone understands them and has everything set up right before they even try to start them for the first time, unlike some, I rejet m carbs to what I know is a good starting point by soldering the jet and drilling with a #73 wire gauge bit, I make sure there is fuel in the carb by loosening the drain screw on the bowl, turn on choke lever and they spin a small amount and bust right off every single time.

In my opinion the biggest problem people have with the non starting issue isthat they just dont have things set up right, all the info is here on this forum and its easy to find, spark + fuel + compression if all is right these little enginez just run.

Map
.wee.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Guys in the op he said it was getting spark so it may be fuel related, funny it did nothing on starting fluid.
1. Hold down the tickle button for about five seconds( its the little spring loaded cap on the left side of the carb)
2. Lift the choke lever and pedal up to speed ( 5 to 6 mph)
3. Release the clutch and wait for the engine to fire.
4. Once it fires you'll need to lower the choke a bit and stop and keep it running till it warms up.
This has worked well for me on every bike I have built, these little engines are kinda like an old car you have to warm them up before you take off.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I just saw where your from and had to toss this lil tidbit in here Evel Knievel was my brothers and my Idol growing up as kids.

When my parents bought me a pleather Evel Knievel jacket. I was jumping every kids Big Wheel & Green Machine in the neighbor hood on my 1970's Huffy All-Pro Muscle Bike with a Banana Seat & a sissy bar and a 10' fiber glass pole with a neon orange flag on it

Here is a similar bike to my huffy

One other issue I had with my bike i9n the beginning was my gas tank was not venting properly & it wouldn't start or run after a while. However it would run at first then die out & thats not what your dealing with >

I haVE A QUESTION DID YOUR MOTOR COME COMPLETELY BUILT OR DID YOU HAVE TO PUT THE HEAD ON YOURSELF?

Sorry darn caps lock & Im too lazy to retype it .

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Berserker7 ..Do you have a set of wiggies or a voltmeter of some sort ?
If so do a test on your magneto it should read in the 330 - 350 range take the cover off your magneato and place each lead "red and black " on each soldered wire end if you can ..easily do so unplug it from everything else when testing it, even though it is brand new they can still be faulty i had one that would put out a slight spark but under a load it would quit & throw no spark at all for the price just order a spare one and try it out 8 bucks even if it isn't it you have a spare you may need some day

This video may help you out also ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJFyDYIkElI

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Be sure to let us know if you get it fixed and going, Also if you can , what the problem was so we can pat ourselves "on the appropriate back", Most one posters just get their info & we never hear from them again!!! Or until they have another problem ...:).. I better get back to work here!!... I'm starting to feel like a politician

Robert T Spurlock

Oct 30, 2019
Akron Ohio
I know this is a pretty old post but I dont see where he fixed it and at least one problem nobody addressed, I notice he said that only part of his fuel line had fuel well I hope he finally checked the.fuel filter was turned around cause fuel filters usually flow one way