Newbe looking for help........

GoldenMotor.com

onetime

Nov 29, 2013
florida
I removed the clutch activator/sprocket cover to install the chain. When I went to replace the cover the clutch push rod had backed out approximately 3/4 of an inch. I cannot push the rod in any further or reinstall the cover (2 shorter bolts won't even reach block threads). Can anyone point me in the right direction to move the pin in so i can complete the install? Thanks in advance.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
There is a pin in the cover that lines up with a slot in the clutch arm.
Turn the arm as you install it until it lines up correctly. Once you find the slot, it slides down partway, then another half turn seats it. Once you get the arm in right, your cover should fit again.
Don't forget to install the ball and bar in the center of the sprocket if you removed them, and grease it well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If I'm reading this right the OP is referring to the bucking bar (pin in center of the sprocket) that is protruding further than it should. If I'm right it could be that the ball bearing is binding or the bar itself. They should both slide in easily until the bar is protruding just a little more than 1/4", maybe 3/8". If not, sumpin' is wrong. That pin (bucking bar) is only a little over 1 inch long. If it is protruding 3/4" there's a problem.

Did you do any adjustments to the right side of the clutch components? The flower nut, pressure plate or did you hammer on the clutch cross shaft in either direction?

As Maniac said, the bucking bar, ball bearing and the cam in the clutch actuator cover should all be well lubricated with grease prior to assembly.

Is the clutch actuator arm pointing toward the rear of the bike when you try to install the cover? It should be.

Tom

Last edited:

onetime

Nov 29, 2013
florida
The actuator arm is installed correctly greased and pointing towards rear of bike. The clutch push rod or bucking bar :confused: will slide out and is well lubed. I can feel the ball bearing with a screw driver head but cannot remove. Believe it is stuck in grease. I have tapped the flower nut and the rod with a plastic mallet (other similar posts). No further movement. Still preventing actuator cover replacement. Cover was on when I mounted the engine. Any other ideas?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There was a member who found two ball bearings in his engine. His problem was the same as yours. That would be a rare occurance but worth a check. If you have or can find a very strong magnet you can attach it to the bucking bar and the magnetism will pass through the bar and might help remove the ball bearing. If you can find a magnet small enough to fit in the sprocket bore that will work too.
I doubt two bearings is your problem.

Did you pack the bore with grease before installing the ball and pin? If so, have you tried just applying a steady pressure to the pin to see if it will force some grease out?
I've never actually seen a ball or bucking bar that was bound up in the sprocket/shaft bore but that doesn't mean ir's impossible.
When you disassembled things, removed the actuator cover, to install the chain did you happen to notice how far the bar protruded from the sprocket initially?

Tom

onetime

Nov 29, 2013
florida
The bucking bar had to initially been in place because the actuator cover was on tight before I installed the chain. So no double bearings. The bucking bar is not bound up. I've applied pressure and following adding grease some was forced out when I put the bucking bar back in. It is just too far out to allow the cover to be reinstalled. I'm beginning to wonder if I should attempt to open the right side and remove the clutch. Could the clutch spring(s) be pushing the bar back out the left side?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Based on what you've told us and what you've tried yours is not a common problem. My advice from here is to call Duane, Dax, (303-459-2780) and explain the problem. He might have seen this before and be able to offer a solution. Dax has a good reputation for strong customer support. Tell him, 2door sent you. :)

Tom

onetime

Nov 29, 2013
florida
Thanks for your suggestions. I left a message for Duane earlier today. But as I have seen a number of similar posts I figured I'd give it a try.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for your suggestions. I left a message for Duane earlier today. But as I have seen a number of similar posts I figured I'd give it a try.
If possible post your findings and Dax's suggestions here. We all like to learn and share with others who might have the same problem some day. Thanks.

Tom

onetime

Nov 29, 2013
florida
I verified movement of the mushroom shaped actuator. I then greased and replaced the arm. The flat faces the engine and the arm points to the rear of the bike. There are a number of threads recommending others posting a similar problem whack the bucking bar and the flower nut noting new clutches stick, or to adjust the clutch, but beating on the engine or making adjustments for no reason don't seem like fixes to me. Hopefully Dax will call or someone will respond that has experienced the same problem.........thanks

onetime

Nov 29, 2013
florida
Removed the bucking bar, flushed the hole and removed the bearing. Greased and reinstalled. Then removed the clutch pressure plate and replaced finger tight. Sprocket cover is seated. Bike now running and appears all is well........thank you

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We're glad you're on the road but have no idea what your problem was. Was the ball bearing stuck? Too much grease? Why wouldn't the bucking bar go in like it's supposed to? As I said above, 3/4" is over half the length of the bar. Sumpin' doesn't make sense here.

Tom

onetime

Nov 29, 2013
florida
I do not know why the bucking bar would not go entirely in either. Too much grease may be the only logical explanation. I was unable to remove the bearing before flushing the hole in the clutch shaft, however, the sprocket cover was tight on the engine before I mounted the chain. After riding it around, now I just need to shorten the clutch and throttle cables and check/tighten all nuts and bolts and I should be good to go.........thank you