KTM-50 RPM Killer or Predator 212cc Torque Monster?

GoldenMotor.com

KTM-50 RPM Killer or Predator 212cc Torque Monster?

• KTM-50cc 2-Stroke

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Predator 212cc 4-Stroke

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I would like to know what you would go for, price is basically the same range after the Predator is modded with better parts.

I use it for longer trips, I like best possible high speed with lower rpm to cruise but it still have to be able to launch from dead start.

I tend to the Predator right now, but the whole jackshaft stuff (which seem to be a little pain in the a$$) and the size make me think. On the other hand the KTM is very powerful and simple but sounds like a bee through a megaphone. Could get annoying on longer trips I guess, but then again the videos I saw are probably all with 44t sprockets.

KTM-50 (or in this case the very similar Morini): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQXnw2IMQ08

Predator 212cc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgLfW03_UKE&feature=youtu.be

So whats your opinion?

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
OK here is why Im not stupid:

- I love to have more power than needed - always. Doesn't mean I will actually drive fast or crazy but power is always good to get off from standing, overtaking faster and pull up possible hills.

- I don't like to have standard things

- The Chine engines are far from reliable

- I can actually mount a surfboard rack. That option is VERY important for me and one of the main reasons why I want to keep a bike, because I might be faster to get around with a motorcycle and better suspension for the messed up streets, but it wouldnt help me to be able to live my greatest hobby without depending on friends picking me up.

So thats why and I nailed it to those 2 engines. I would go for the KTM but I got a really good offer for a used 212.

BEsides, it doesnt make sense that you call me greedy and stupid. If I were greedy I would go for the China junk because thats the cheapest option, but I want QUALITY now. I have been dealing with annoying breakdowns WEEKLY, spending more money already in that bike than I would have buying a good engine in the first place. Actually its stupid to buy a China Kit because the quality is so low, that its not worth spending money on them, unless you chuggle around with 20mph on the walking way which is too *** for me.

Last edited:

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
you shouldnt count out the 99cc predator thats a good engine also but if you have a line on a 212cc i understand run what you can there are a few good upgreades to do to it but most arent going to be needed for what you are doing your biggest problem is the engine size getting a frame for it to fit in

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I think if you want it for daily use and cruising around on the streets, go with the 212. A Morini is an on or off motor with not a really good low rpm/cruising speed.
I've also been there with the chinese motors constantly wrenching more than riding and always checking for loose nuts and bolts or stripped threads. I wouldn't call it greedy but instead I call it reliability with the peace of mind you ain't going to be stranded because we all know "it ain't no fun being stranded 10 or more miles away from home."

Ken AKA "The King of Stupid" ;)

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Maybe try a 49cc pocket bike engine if you want more power within the legal displacement limit if its 50cc. You can get ones built with all the tuning parts turnkey. It'll be like a Morini, albeit a couple less HP, and only cost about $150. I wouldn't mess around with a 99cc engine or a 212 if it is the difference between you being deported or not. If you want torque for hills a 49cc four stroke with gears would be plenty reliable and fast. I agree with you on China girl engines, it's really a shame about the reliability since they are so easy to hook up. I've been playing with the idea of getting another china girl kit for a kick around bike, but I know it would end up consuming too much time keeping it running.

Four stroke is better for reliability, if you can find a small water or oil cooled engine even better. 50cc Lifan autos fit on chopper bikes. You can use traditional tuning to make more power on popular four strokes, like cam, porting, compression, lightening, a simple 1000W generator engine could probably be tuned up to about 3hp. Centrifugal clutches are good for small engines, as are CVT's for keeping in the power band. Pocket bike CVT's are cheap on Ebay. If you want a bike that is practical for everyday I would go with the best engine you can afford, something Honda or cloned is a good choice.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have to agree the better value is with a better engine. The savings $ will be long gone by the time you're regretting not going with a better engine. Just a thought.

I used to live in San Juan (la isla del encanto) Would love to ride around El Yunque on a MB.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
haha, where you used to live? im usually riding along pinones to san juan and leivittown for myself and for work all metro area. no traffic jam and a hundred conversations. you know how people here are. everybody is family :)

if you want the ktm let me know. i know the best price after long research.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lived in Plaza Las America. Man what a blast it was!! Yes, you're absolutely right, every one is family and it is always a party.

After jumping a cruise ship in Baltimore. Drank way to much waiting for my flight home to Connecticut. Woke up there with an Irish woman and not enough cash to fly home. Is a really long and funny story. We were there six months. To this day, I am careful about drinking in airports, lol.

Ya got me missing my well spent youth.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
How did you end up there LowRider? We had a bunch of German friends on the island and I always wondered.

OH! Are you prepared for the storm? Just heard it is coming your way. Hope your safe

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I bought the Predator and will run it on a Micargi Royal bike which I will customize further.

I wanted this bike anyways and now for this engine its perfect because of the space for the engine.

I am planning to use it with a Suzuki K10 Hydraulic fork.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Not sure yet if I stretch the frame a little more or if its ok like that, but for sure I have to weld some things for the engine and I probably have to move the pedals somewhere else.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i would look at a gx160 [check out CCC's] smaller easier on the frame, drive line, rider, ears, weight. they look perfect and its a 4 stroke honda. if you wanna stay outta trouble and want reliable transportation get a tomas moped add a pipe, carb and hold on. chain it to a palm. sleep next to it! i got a 212 predator got over $1500 in it still not done. watch what you wish for you might get it. dennis