5hp briggs bike

GoldenMotor.com

briggsandstratton

Jul 11, 2012
new york
i have a 5 hp briggs off roto tiller on a bike
the motor cant rev up its geared to low? does alot of bogging and doesn't have enough torque with this gear setup? 10 to 10 to 10 to 50 with a jack-shaft
was thinking 10 to 20 to 10 to 50?

Last edited:

porkchop

Jul 13, 2012
Illinois
welcome briggsandstratton,a few things..do you have a clutch?you probably need to peddle to get bike up to speed,then slowly let the clutch out.there are different kinds of clutches to use.try on a slight downhill to get up to speed.one thing i have found out is having to try different ways of operating these machines.kind of have to see what it likes/wants....that 5hp should sling you down the road pretty good.
keep us posted,good luck & have fun!
:-||

briggsandstratton

Jul 11, 2012
new york
welcome briggsandstratton,a few things..do you have a clutch?you probably need to peddle to get bike up to speed,then slowly let the clutch out.there are different kinds of clutches to use.try on a slight downhill to get up to speed.one thing i have found out is having to try different ways of operating these machines.kind of have to see what it likes/wants....that 5hp should sling you down the road pretty good.
keep us posted,good luck & have fun!
:-||
its got a centrifugal clutch and the pedals are gone to fit the motor but I'm going to try a 10t to 20t to 10t to 44 tooth gear setup
-briggsandstratton
.duh.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
its got a centrifugal clutch and the pedals are gone to fit the motor but I'm going to try a 10t to 20t to 10t to 44 tooth gear setup
-briggsandstratton
.duh.
You on the right track now with 8.8:1 ratio. I retained the pedals by tilting the motor forward, adding a compression release, belt drive and using a clutch with a one-way bearing. That allows for real easy pedal starts.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
We've got them geared for around 40mph. They can go faster, but not on the tracks we race on. Some of the other racers go faster, but they spend a ton of money to do it. My crew are just budget racers having fun.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
What exactly do you mean by "13 series"? Is that the raptor engine?

Thanks!
No, it's just the two first characters of the serial number and designates the displacement as 13 cubic inches. These are just run of the mill motors we saved from the junk pile. Most are aluminum bore with bushing cranks, but they run pretty good. By the time we clean up the ports and up the compression a little, it adds some power.

[email protected]

Oct 7, 2013
NH
I've built a couple of these and found a belt drive not only looks cool but works amazingly! You just need to have a rear wheel sheave or pulley from a whizzer for the right gearing. After running 5hp Tecumsehs and Briggs, you'll never go back!

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1430.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I've built a couple of these and found a belt drive not only looks cool but works amazingly! You just need to have a rear wheel sheave or pulley from a whizzer for the right gearing. After running 5hp Tecumsehs and Briggs, you'll never go back!

View attachment 84464

View attachment 84465
AMEN! I had a factory made monark when i was a kid, and got hooked on belt drive, doing one now with a small Lauson motor.

Nice builds you have, like them ..............Curt

[email protected]

Oct 7, 2013
NH
You on the right track now with 8.8:1 ratio. I retained the pedals by tilting the motor forward, adding a compression release, belt drive and using a clutch with a one-way bearing. That allows for real easy pedal starts.

I have been building bikes for about three years now, a couple with tecumsehs and belt drives, but with a lever operated tensioner pulley for the front drive belt. Could you shoot me some info on that clutch setup and that flywheel that you are running?