The Dremel dilemma

GoldenMotor.com

East82

Oct 17, 2011
SoCal
Filing, cutting, grinding and polishing ....these all require different dremel bits.
Each of the different places a dremel is called for should be using a bit designed for that job. For example, grinding engine mounts to make them fit, porting and polishing an exhaust, filing or grinding this or that.

Can someone give a listing of what bits should be in my tool kit and where I would use them?

I do not have a dremel tool, but I do have a cordless drill and I believe I can use dremel bits in that or at least find comparable drill bits to do the job.

scratg

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
I would invest in a dremel (rotary) tool, they are not that expensive, you can probably get one for less than $20 that comes with all the bits so you can cut, grind, polish etc. These tools spin a lot faster than a drill and you need this speed to cut and polish for example. It's also small so you can get a better handle and be more precise. My Craftsman rotary tool by far is the most useful tool I have, it comes with instructions for which bit to use for whatever purpose. I couldn't live without it, I think every MB owner should have one in their box.

Last edited:

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i buy a pack of cut off wheels. i put the ruff side of them to the working end so i can use it to do some mild grinding. pick up some safety glasses. sparks & metal fly
also some carbide burr tips for porting.
most kits come with grind stones for grinding.
if you can afford it. the flex tool will make work much easier& your wrists will thank you.

i also use the side effect of cut off wheels & grind stones get smaller while using to get into smaller areas.

i literally just woke up. i may add to this when i get home from work.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I like the solid carbide burrs. They will cut the steel exhaust flanges like butter and they don't get dull very easily.
They are brittle though, and if you let them chatter much they will break. I have re-chucked them after tthey broke with good results, just have a shorter reach.
I use those and the larger cut off wheels for all my dremel work.
Don't bother with stones. They wear down faster than what youi're grinding and they clog up on aluminum.
I don't think a drill spins fast enough for them to do a good job. Like router bits, they rely on very high rpm to work efficently.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
'Dremel' bits fit into a variety of different rotary tools. Mine's got a store-tool-brand name on it, but has adjustable speed. It came in a kit with the flex attachment, and that's worth having. It's much easier to use a 'wand' tip and have the motor unit hanging on it's hook nearby.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
Rotary bits are universal and should fit all brands. I have my Craftsman for 5 years now and paid $49.99 back then, worth every penny.

East82

Oct 17, 2011
SoCal
Thanks all!
I'm still new at this but getting better. I think I'll go with the B&D rotary tool. I don't run a shop, so at this point I just need it to get my mounts sized right, but I don't like chinsy tools.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Gawd I love Dremel !

The question is what shouldn't you have in the dremel tool kit!

Cut off wheels are bomb!

Always wear safety glasses

Bought mine 20 years ago and I have never complained about having it.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Those cut off wheels, can they cut a 3/8 bolt in half?
Yes..

Rotate the bolt around so that you cut into it from all sides.. But hey.. There is always the 4 & 1/2 cut off wheel for a grinder.. I do most everything with that.

What the little cut offs are good for are the small area cuts. Getting in tight and doing some cutting.

Still the little wheels are no slouch for cutting. Just remember they are little cut off discs.

Always wear safety glasses!

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Thanks all!
I'm still new at this but getting better. I think I'll go with the B&D rotary tool. I don't run a shop, so at this point I just need it to get my mounts sized right, but I don't like chinsy tools.
If it spins up like a Dremel and you can buy bits and stuff for it then go for it but Dremel rocks.. I have had mine 20 years.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Filing, cutting, grinding and polishing ....these all require different dremel bits.
Each of the different places a dremel is called for should be using a bit designed for that job. For example, grinding engine mounts to make them fit, porting and polishing an exhaust, filing or grinding this or that.

Can someone give a listing of what bits should be in my tool kit and where I would use them?

I do not have a dremel tool, but I do have a cordless drill and I believe I can use dremel bits in that or at least find comparable drill bits to do the job.

scratg
So far as what bits you'll want, can't help you there - I've about got 'em all. I do what Rohmell does, buy 'em in bulk. They are cheaper that way, by far.

I suppose they'd work in a drill, but that sounds unwieldy somehow. Save the $s and get a multi-speed Dremel, is my advice. I've never regretted it. I love the little thing. And I have found ways to cut things bigger than a 3/8 inch bolt. Again, you should also have the safety glasses. And a dust mask isn't a bad idea either.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Use what the pros use a 1/4in die grinder powered by a small compressor. Ever see any one in a body shop break out a dremel? No you havn't.

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
Just saw a pack of about 50 grinding bits on sale in the bargain bin at the local Advance Auto Parts for $3