Whats that burned rubber smell?

GoldenMotor.com

59Cruiser

Aug 11, 2011
Mi
Finished my bike today ... runs and rides better than expected. I have a couple minor things to adjust but thats just because I want everything perfect.

Anyway, when I turn off the motor after riding, I smell burning rubber. Is that normal break in smell or do I have something else going on. It seems to be coming from the engine and not the tire. I figured its the gaskets, exhaust and maybe even chain tensioner breaking in?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
If it's a black painted engine, it could be that. Our first one was painted black, I had to spray brake cleaner and remove all the black. It smelled when hot and sitting still.

59Cruiser

Aug 11, 2011
Mi
The engine is painted .... its painted silver. Came that way.
My fuel mix is 16:1 per the instructions in the kit. After burn in it says I can run 20:1

Its definately a burned rubber smell like a tire burnout. The kit I have is one of those chinese deals from eBay

59Cruiser

Aug 11, 2011
Mi
Exhaust is chrome although there is black goop coming out of the bottom. I figured it was from the rich gas mix but maybe there'se something else in there?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
My first though would be that you're prolly just running rich - but pull the exhaust off and remove the end cap just to be sure. Ya never know what could have slipped past chinese quality assurance...

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
if yer runnin 2 stroke mixe try 24 to 1 then 32 to 1 after break in the 16 to 1 is for 30 weight oil used in china

59Cruiser

Aug 11, 2011
Mi
ah ha ... yes, thats where its coming from ... so pretty much normal break in you think? I am trying to take it easy on the clutch but it definately gets its use. It takes a little time to get used to giving it the right amount of gas when letting the clutch out after slow downs and turns.

I can't wait to break this engine in and really see what it can do. The bike is surprisingly, almost a little scary, faster then I expected with much more torque than I thought it would have!

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Just wanted to add mine does the same thing,,
The Chinese use rubber instead of a copper resin/asbestos type.If you trim the pads up before use and make em all the same size this will reduce the smell,,the reason they do this is because some pads contact the plate more than others is what I am seeing.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
When I used to have a 2 stroke, I would smell burning plastic sometimes while driving. I never did figure out what it was, even pulled over a few times to check the bike over. Checked my tires, wheels, wiring, everything, never found anything.Maybe it was my clutch pads wearing in as well. Anyway, if you ever smell or hear something odd, check the bike over. If you cant find anything wrong, there might not be anything wrong. If its a noise from the engine, might want to check a little further, maybe inside the engine.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I can't wait to break this engine in and really see what it can do. The bike is surprisingly, almost a little scary, faster then I expected with much more torque than I thought it would have!
Those were my exact thoughts when I was breaking mine in.
It only gets better!
I remember travelling up the side of a road one day on tank #2 thinking, Holy Crap!

When people ask how fast it goes, I say, "Too fast for a bicycle!"