accidentally solving a problem

GoldenMotor.com

crabdance

May 16, 2008
I have been having a hard time with my carburetor leaking (bad). I have been trying to find out what was wrong with it but with my limited knowledge I could not. I was beginning to think that I was going to have to take the carburetor apart or get someone to do it for me. However, my engine was not idling and I messed with the idle screw today a bunch until I finally got it to idle. Here's the thing; Now that I got the bike to idle good, I don't have the bad leaking problem anymore. Does this make any sense to anyone? I'm new at working on these things and don't really know if it makes sense or not.

I would really appreciate any help and comments. Thanks

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Your float level may be a little to high (letting to much fuel in carb bowl).. Now that you got it to idel, you are using that little extra fuel in the carb bowl. So, there is no excess fuel to leak out. That's what I come up with :confused:

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Thanks for the responses everyone. And Fairracing, that makes sense to me. I think that is what is happening. Thasdax, you are right. I still have a small leak. I think it's coming from one of two places. First, where the fuel line attaches to he carburetor or second, the float is sticking. I'm going to put new fuel line on it but if it's the float sticking, I'm a little nervous about taking the carb apart. I'm not much of a mechanic and don't know if I could get it back together and in working order again.

Would spraying carburetor cleaner help any? Just a thought.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Thanks man... I will check it out for sure. BTW: I love your sig. I'm a retired software developer.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
sometime the brass nipple that the fuel line attaches to isn't tight and it will seep fuel very gentle tighting will help if its loose. The fuel line also likes to leak on that brass fitting as well I use stainless steel safety wire as a hose clamp to seal that off it hard to get a regular hose clamp on that small line.
Does the wire work you ask well I have a home built airplane and that is what I use on the fuel tanks sight glass clamps and in 23 years no leak.
Norman

crabdance

May 16, 2008
sometime the brass nipple that the fuel line attaches to isn't tight and it will seep fuel very gentle tighting will help if its loose. The fuel line also likes to leak on that brass fitting as well I use stainless steel safety wire as a hose clamp to seal that off it hard to get a regular hose clamp on that small line.
Does the wire work you ask well I have a home built airplane and that is what I use on the fuel tanks sight glass clamps and in 23 years no leak.
Norman
Thanks Norman, I will check that in the morning. Right now gas is pouring out and I'm not sure where it's coming from. I need to take a good look at it and I will do that tomorrow. I will let you know what's going on when I know more. Thanks a lot.

cd

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Gas pouring out?!= a stuck float needle in my book but if I'm wrong it won't be the first time.
Good luck and do lok at my carb post let me know if I can help with pictures or text.
Norman