Im stuck!

GoldenMotor.com

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
Ok so I finally got my motor yesterday, and I attempted to start the installation. It wasn't easy, I ended up only taking off the rear wheel and disassembling the axle because it has a peice of metal that attached the rear wheel to the frame that had to go inorder to put the sproket on. I don't know if this is a peice that has to be on the bike in order to work properly but I had no choice but to take it off. But the only problem is I cant get it off, I ended up unscrewing the bolts and finally got the greasy axle off but wasnt able to get the other bolt off so I can take that metal peice off. I ended working till midnight last night and only got as far as taking the wheel off, Im weak! Please help me what do I have to do to get this thing off?

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It's not as easy as it seems is it??
After you've done a hundred of 'em, it gets easier! ;)

Theres a thread here somewhere with a diagram of how to put it all back together...
I'll see if I can find it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That is the coaster brake anti-rotation bar, HB. It needs to go back on but it will need to be bent a little to clear the sprocket. Read the post that Venice is getting for you about coaster brakes, dust caps and what you'll need to do to get things right. Good luck.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The arm will need a slight 'Z' bend put in it to clear the sprocket/bolt heads. It should go right back where it was with just a little offset which the clamp that held it should allow. If the arm was attached with a screw to a welded bracket on the frame, very rare, then a little adjusting there might be necessary.
Tom

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The pedal sprocket will operate as usual. If that sprocket is locked, you have something wrong in the rear hub assembly.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Its locked!
You have a coaster brake hub. The sprocket should not spin free if you try to rotate it forward, or in other words, the direction the pedal chain tries to turn it. It will have a little freeplay backward until the coaster brake engages then it should not turn.
Watch that Bairdco guy...he's building a new bike and needs all the cash he can pull together.
Tom

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
Also if wheel is locked up it could be the two brake pads in the coaster assembly,take it apart agin and make sure the 2 pads are in the right position.

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
I'v been working for the past two days and I only got the sproket mounted on the rear wheel. I took apart the coaster brake and im not sure if I put it back properly. What is the function of the rear wheel, what is supposed to move and what is not. It seems as everything is frozen nothing is moving and im pretty sure I put the coaster back the right way, am I not supposed to tighten it to tight? Also, I didnt have the tools to cut down the dust cover so I bent it to fit in the the sproket hole, is this bad?

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I would say maybe the dust cap is now bent and jamming up the wheel.
Or the inside nut on the peddal side freewheel sprocket might be too tight.

Last edited: