Why did you put a motor on your bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Why did you put a motor on your bike

• Economics (gas prices)

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • To see if you could do it (Project)

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • To be Green or semi-Green (Environmental / better MPG)

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Lost license and need transportation - doh!

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Other

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
I haven't built mine yet, but my reason for building:

I really want something fun to tinker with. I wanted a motorcycle. The wife was not excited about a motorcycle but she didn't say no. Of course, she didn't have to. The wallet said "no" for her. The MotorBike is something I can actually afford.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
what is a transgen???
Transgender. Nashville was apparently born into the wrong body and has since had that corrected. It does however create a whole lot of legal issues for people who go through that ordeal.

The reason I built my ride was that I believe that any household with n drivers should have n+1 vehicles to cover those times when one vehicle is down for repairs. Since we couldn't afford a spare car I built a motored bike. Of course I now love to ride it when I can!

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I built mine because I can't drive anymore due to visual impairment
(only 1 eye works anymore and it is not that good)
I live with my daughter and her family (hubby <azvinnie>, and 2 granddaughters 4+6)
I take the oldest to school and her sis to the park with a kiddie trailer
the town I live in has some killer hills, and my old knees couldn't take much more of the pedalling
the motor lets me enjoy their youth and my solo rides when their mom gets home from work are the best stress relief I have found :)

Attachments

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I built mine because I can't drive anymore due to visual impairment
(only 1 eye works anymore and it is not that good)
I live with my daughter and her family (hubby <azvinnie>, and 2 granddaughters 4+6)
I take the oldest to school and her sis to the park with a kiddie trailer
the town I live in has some killer hills, and my old knees couldn't take much more of the pedalling
the motor lets me enjoy their youth and my solo rides when their mom gets home from work are the best stress relief I have found :)
I'm sure my great nieces and nephews find me a lot more interesting since I got this cool bike.:)

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I put one on my bike cause i cant peddal very far, i use my bike to go to the store.
I want to make a mini boat with a paddle wheel and a engine kit but that will have to wait til summer, i live right on Lake Champlain.

sseisup

Feb 18, 2009
mn
I have a couple motorcycles but recently moved to the suburbs from the middle of farmland and find I don't need the speed and thought I could really use a moped. When I looked around I found these bike motors. It's brand new and cost less than a real moped. I also have plenty of time as a unemployed union plumber (going on 2 years =( ) and love all things motors. I also saw photos of Whizzers in antique magazines and so wanted one. That was in the mid 90's at age 15. I even bolted a motor from a 3hp snowblower to a BMX but didn't have a clutch (direct drive) and no one was brave enough to try it.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
I did it in 1966 and wanted to relive a early experiance . Azbill I have a garage full of the same kind of toys as your garage has . What am i going to do ?

Attachments

Last edited:

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
Had a couple bad wrecks on my motorcycle so my wife made me get ride of it,built my first MB as a substitute for my motorcycle and it turned out to give me just as much of a rush as my M.C did.I prefer to ride my MB more then my car now,my with thinks I'm crazy....Oh yeah azbill I was thinking on putting a kid carier on my bike but woried about the exhuast fumes.Have you had any complaints from the kids about the smell of fume from the bike?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
randog, I have been pulling the girls with a trailer for almost 4 yrs,,,the first one was bright yellow and never got any oil residue or anything
the 2 little ones, are very vocal about odors (like most females;)), and I have never had a complaint from them :)
my 2 stroke pipe WAS aimed straight down just to help disipate fumes tho (precautionary)
...I have less worries about fumes/odor with the 4cycle ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
Thanks for the info Azbill,I'll have to take the carrier off my wifes bike tomorow and hook it up to my MB and give it a try.This is going to make both of my boys very happy,thanks agin,I'll keep you posted on how it went.Randy

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
saw one riding past me on a cold late autumn (was more like winter but not officially yet) night while i was walking back from my mothers house and thought that would be so much faster, conveniently i walked into some extra crash a few days later and the research commenced.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Because if it has 2 wheels, burns gasoline, and makes noise I want it. If there's smoke involved that's just a plus.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I lost my licence and now I cant drive(like the song goes)....So I started out buying a electric bike for 700bucks and then spent more on extra batteries and still needed to plug it in at work to make it back home....So I though I would see if I could get away her in texas with buying a gas motor and been driving my MB for the last 5 years now....The drive each way to town is 6 miles....I LOVE MY MB!!!!!!!!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I originally motorized my first bicycle in answer to difficulties with transportation: driving my van to work was getting expensive due to high cost of gas and parking; taking the bus was time consuming and the schedule was extremely inconvenient where I live; it would take way too long to walk, and almost as long to pedal, to work at 9.3 miles away (I originally thought it was only 7 miles); most if not all electric cycle set-ups aren't good for much more than 5 miles and where would I plug it in when I got there, so electric was out; I know two-smokers pretty well and feel comfortable working on them.

So necessity steered invention. The first time. Then came the accident with the truck.

When I got to feeling better, I realized that I simply wanted to continue to have a motorbike to ride, even if I felt that downtown traffic was too crazy I knew I at least wanted to use it for errands and recreation. I miss my first one. I wanted the new one, my Higgins that I'm working on now.

I don't feel like I have anything to prove. I merely discovered that I like MBs and want to keep one around to ride on now and again. I think the fact that they're fun is a good enough reason to have one all on its own.

Last edited: