Engine Still Won't Start :((

GoldenMotor.com

tmcgradyr01

Oct 28, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I posted a thread a couple days back describing my problem with the engine not starting. I thought the problem was due to the carb slide getting stuck inside, so I went ahead and unjammed the slide (took a couple yank). Now the throttle and everything is smooth. So I went outside and tested out, pedaled to a good speed and let the throttle go, and the engine would not start :(

Potential problems:

1. The clearance between my carb and the back of the bike frame is tight, real tight. Even with the air filter off, there's still only half an inch of space. Maybe the back of the frame is blocking the air from going into the carb air inlet?

2. My old spark wire busted, so I purchased the high performance plug wire from sickbikeparts.com. However, I wasn't too sure how to install the wire onto the magneto. I just took the old one out, and shoved the new one in and it's barely on there. With a little wiggle, the wire comes off right back out. So, maybe the problem is, I'm not getting a spark on my plug. Does anybody know the proper way to install the plug wire from sickbikeparts? Or maybe my magneto just went bad?

3. There's a small gap between the exhaust pipe and the engine (This is due to the broken threads inside the engine and the bump on the exhaust where it gets attached). Could this be the cause of the engine not starting?

My wiring seems to be correct.

Other than that, I can't see where it could go wrong.

Helps are greatly appreciated. It's really frustrating to see the engine not run when it did a couple days ago. Have fixed parts one by one, but to no avail... Thx

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
#1 don't worry about it.

#2 the spark plug wire threads onto a tiny screw in the CDI. just turn it clockwise while pushing it in. you'll feel it go on, and when it gets tight, stop.

#3 if you get your motor to start, it won't run for long because of this. serious damage will occur, if it hasn't already. serious as in, you need a new motor.

an exhaust leak like that will create dangerously high temps, and your motor WILL seize.

tmcgradyr01

Oct 28, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
The thing with the new spark wire I got is, it won't screw in. The tubing is different than the original that came with the kit. The original had a hollow center with copper wires coming out from the middle. The new magnecor wire I got is compact with silicone outing and alloy core inside. I will try to post a pic of it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The old one is hollow from being screwed into the CDI- look in there, there's a little "screw" sticking out, or should be.