New here. couple questions + thinking of buying parts, then selling bike?

GoldenMotor.com

jimbo23

Sep 7, 2009
Canada
Hey everyone, glad i found this place. it looks neat :D

Anyways, someone brought up the topic of motorized bicycles, and i looked up what the engine kit costs, and its really not to much. well i'm seeing motorized bikes all over the place on craigslist, kijiji ect running for like 400-500? i thought this could be a great way to make some money.

anyways, ive got a few questions; I'm wondering what tools do i need and how much expirience? Ill admit right now i dont have very much, but ive got a basic idea of it. and I dont have very many tools like welders, shop saws, ect. ive just go the basket screw driver, hammer, wrench and stuff like that, maybe more depending on what my dad has outside.
now how hard is it to assemble a bike kit? do i need expirience? what tools do i need? what should i know?

And also, i'm looking to buy the cheapest, but still decent engine kit, where would the best place for that be? ebay? ive got really no idea where to look :p
Id just like to assemble a basic one, that attrack others and could sell for a nice little amount of money.

edit: also, which type of bike should i get that works/looks best?

-Jimbo.shft.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Heh - I think you're describing the dream of almost every member on here, I see a few that have managed to pull it off too ;)

They all have secrets :p

One of the charms about these bikes is that everyone builds different, other than the "complete with bike" kits some of the dealers provide it's a matter of diggin up good yet low cost bikes that take the conversion well and adding that "personal" touch. The basic builds are so easy my boss's eleven year old son built one himself in just three days, only using my bike as an example. Yet I'm shamed to say it took me almost three weeks to build mine and I've built powered bikes before lol

I'd recommend building just one or two to get the feel for it and selling them when they're done. That way you can learn the quirks, play with the bikes, and even test the local market. Having done that, you can buy engines in bulk lots (starting at ten) and build to suit.

I thought about it myself as they're none too common around here, mines been quite popular and I don't think I'd have any problem selling it. Yet I find I'd rather do that than be a dealer - build a bike, play with it for awhile and then sell it for my next. To build them in any quantity would take away from my playtime lol

More power to you though should you want to! Tooling is pretty basic to start with, of course the more you have the more you can do, welding is a damn handy skill. Defo give the dealer links around here a lookin' at :D

Last edited:

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
i am trying to do this also, it took me since last november to debug my first three builds but now i am putting them out there and getting some good inquierys doesnt take a lot of tools but would look at a decent set of hand tools. check harbour freight, and besides that stick around here and learn ive been wrenching for ove 50 years and learn something new here everyday. welcome to the forum and good luck,frank

Apr 24, 2009
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I sold a 180 dollar bike with normans light, double kickstand, and a bikeberry kit for 515. However, I have noticed a flood of people selling bikes now, so they are probably a bit harder to sell now.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
A socket set,wrench set,hammer,nails,screw driver etc,oh wait hammer and nails are for construction....In all honesty about 50.00 worth of tools and a decent bike stand....I bought one stand at harbor frieght tools for .87cents,it lifts the back tire off the ground to remove it and keeps the bike stable,also bought a bike rack for 7.89 that mounts to the wall and I just lift my bike up and can work on them at eye level....Get the 52 peice 12.99 socket set and a 20.00 wrench set and the stands....Thats it....
John-John

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
A socket set,wrench set,hammer,nails,screw driver etc,oh wait hammer and nails are for construction....
John-John
It's not a nail it's a center punch!!! And if you use a grinder instead of a chain breaker you gotta have something to drive that link through.:D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
2 funny. I built my first MB using a hammer and nail to break the chain. (I have since bought a chain breaker but now use a bigger hammer, lol) aside from that,

Rubber mallets come in handy. A socket and Allen wrench set. Some of the cheap cased tool sets will have almost every thing you need. 2, 10MM wrenches. (One that ratchets really helps!) Locktite and Muffler Sealer. I keep a cheap bike tool with me when I ride. Has almost all you need for road side "just get me home" bike repairs and and is compact.

Just a thought. I wouldn't sell ChinaGirl MotorBikes until at least I had built a few, destroyed a couple and knew first hand how much a toll these kits take on a bike. It is a lot. I am not trying dissuade you. But could end up costing you money or getting some one hurt if some thing is over looked.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
2 funny. I built my first MB using a hammer and nail to break the chain. (I have since bought a chain breaker but now use a bigger hammer, lol) aside from that,

Rubber mallets come in handy. A socket and Allen wrench set. Some of the cheap cased tool sets will have almost every thing you need. 2, 10MM wrenches. (One that ratchets really helps!) Locktite and Muffler Sealer. I keep a cheap bike tool with me when I ride. Has almost all you need for road side "just get me home" bike repairs and and is compact.

Just a thought. I wouldn't sell ChinaGirl MotorBikes until at least I had built a few, destroyed a couple and knew first hand how much a toll these kits take on a bike. It is a lot. I am not trying dissuade you. But could end up costing you money or getting some one hurt if some thing is over looked.
Yes I did forget to say a tube of hi-temp gasket silicone 4.00,gasket material 2.00,allen wrench set 4.00 etc....

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Just noticed on craigslist that someone around here is selling Schwinn Panthers with 80cc motors for $350. He can't be making much money at all. Comparing them to $500-$800 internet bikes, he's also claiming 40mph on a 44 tooth sprocket. rotfl

Last edited:

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Just noticed on craigslist that someone around here is selling Schwinn Panthers with 80cc motors for $350. He can't be making much money at all. Comparing them to $500-$800 internet bikes, he's also claiming 40mph on a 44 tooth sprocket. rotfl
These guys saying 40mph with 44 tooth sprocket crack me up....Say there is a guy,cant remember his new site but he is on here and he is selling bikes with engines starting at 300bucks....They have to be getting the bikes and engines whole sale....I seen a guy selling one on craigs list in keller(brand new it said) for 450,oh by the way keller is in dallas,ftwoth area around me here in texas...

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Jimbo, My advice to you would be to FIRST learn how to build bikes BEFORE you start trying to sell them!

It would be real easy for someone to get hurt very badly because you are a inexperienced builder!

Start off by building just one bike for yourself & learn how to make it SAFE & RELIABLE, then sell it & build another bike & repeat the process...

Over 1/3 of my little MB business has been fixing or finishing other peoples MB builds! It looks easy to build these bikes, (but it really isn't!!) ;)

Good luck & remember, build 'em "safe & reliable"!

Last edited: