Just for fun: whats the biggest motor fitted to a bike?

GoldenMotor.com

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
What someone has EVER put on a bike? I don't know if anyone here knows the answer to that. But 212cc engines are somewhat common here, they produce about 7 horses. They require expert fabrication skills and some knowledge of mechanical engineering to install, because they are very powerful and must be built to be as safe and solid as possible. There are also 49cc ktm/morini engines and clones which can produce anywhere from 9 to 15 horsepower depending on the model and any modifications done to them. They also require expert fabrication to install on a bicycle. A bike with a morini or 212cc engine will require the best brakes available, mechanical disk brakes at a minimum, hydraulic is better. I'm just telling you this stuff so you know that bolting a powerful engine into a bicycle require some very serious measures for safety in case you are thinking of trying one. It's not a "slap it on and go" type of deal.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Venice has jested about adding a 500cc Jawa to a bicycle. I wouldn't be surprised if he does it.

JacktheRiffer

Jan 23, 2014
Oklahoma
One thing I keep thinking whenever I see a 212 in something is what about the 250cc lifan v twin. I rwalize by that point its just a motorcycle with some pedals but ey could be fun.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I've recently seen someone in here built one with a Lifan V twin... He did have to make a custom frame for it tho but it looked and sounded Sweeeet...
A 212cc Predator engine will do really nice on a bicycle too since it has more torque than the small 2 strokers to make up for the lower horsepower output... and then some... Not to mention a Pred 212 can be upgraded to above 20hp if you feel like spending about a grand on parts and machine work...
Man I could just imagine a KX500 engine in a bicycle frame... it would probably rip right out of the frame or tear the spokes out of the hub the first time ya gunned it... but it would sure be fun once you beefed up the frame and driveline... if you could even keep the front end on the road... lol

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
A 212cc Predator engine will do really nice on a bicycle too since it has more torque than the small 2 strokers to make up for the lower horsepower output... l
Lower horsepower compared to what, lol. A stock china girl puts out <2 hp. A 212 puts out 6.5 hp. So I'm just curious as to what engine you were referring to as lower hp output, because a 212 will eat any china girl for breakfast.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I'm fully aware of that... You can build up a China Giral well past 6.5 HP and still get ripped by a 212 Pred because of the torque... Also, if you read my post a little more clearly you'd see that I said small 2 strokers, not China Girls...

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Well just about the only small 2 stroker I know of that puts out more hp than a 212 is a ktm/morini. Hard to say which one would win. I don't know how much torque those ktms put out, but I do know they produce about 9 hp stock.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
I had a chance at a 600cc Rotax (110hp), that I wanted to put on a trike, but unfortunately it sold a couple days before I could get the money together. I imagine people have put some rather large engines on trikes though, or even those little push trailers. Otherwise, the largest I've heard of was 212cc. Though I think it'd be ridiculous and funny for someone to mount one of those 5cc nitro engines on a bike, you know, the ones that crank insane amounts of power for their size?

Another concept I wanted to do after I got on the oil rigs was buying a pair of model jet engines ($3000, 25 lbs of thrust each run on Kerosene, IIRC 250mph top speed) and run the HT engine for the low-mid speeds (city travel) and the jets take over at high speeds (and maybe a 3-way hybrid with electric for accelerating). A bit of a pipe dream. But some people HAVE installed a pulse jet (imagine a really, really big 2-stroke expansion chamber, but the "motor" IS the pipe) on bicycles and hit around 110-120mph with them.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I've seen those RC jets put on go karts before just to see what they can do... This guy was using a 30lb thrust engine and it accelerated slow at first but kept accelerating until he ran out of road... never got to find out how fast it actually went..
Yeah... trikes are great when it comes to engine selection since there's usually plenty enough room to put just about anything in them. I remember back in the mid 70's there were several V8 trike kits out there and I remember seeing a lot of them made from Corvair or VW rear engines. Then recently... about 2 or 3 years ago I saw a full sized RV that was converted to a trike with a big block Chevy engine. The driver sat outside on a motorcycle seat and controlled it with handlebars then the passengers sat inside to enjoy the full comfort the RV offers. http://totallyradchoppers.com/wp-content/uploads/5244e80aecf42-500x375.jpg