Oil Ratio

GoldenMotor.com

fischer550

Mar 24, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
Right now, I have a new motor and I am running 16:1 for the first tank (non-synthetic). If I use a full synthetic oil, is the ratio of fuel/oil i'd be using the same, or different?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Do what the oil manufacturer says. The container should tell you the recommended mix ratio. Don't deviate from it. What oil are you planning to use?

If you're using 16:1 now you're using too much oil. This has been discussed here hundreds of times. The kit instructions are WRONG.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We recommend no more than 24:1. Many experienced builders don't run a 'break-in' mix but start out with whatever they plan to run. You'll find many go to 32:1 and stay there.

Some of the synthetics are formulated to run at as low as 50:1 and a few, Opti-2 for example is mixed at 100:1.
You'll also find those who say not to break in an engine on synthetics because the theory is the rings take longer to seat. Or won't seat at all. The jury is still out on that one.

Maybe use the search feature, type in 'oil mixture' and you'll have plenty to read and get lots of opinions on this subject. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...644j11#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=oil mixture&gsc.page=1

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I think the best course of action is to pick one of the above, blow on the dice, yell "monkey gravy for the win!!", roll the dice, and see what happens.

Really!!

(For what it's worth, I'm a member of the 'broke-in at 32:1 and run it at 50:1 now' club.)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If the engine is a good one from the get go and the oil is good quality and you dont tey to blow it up on thefirst ride I dont think it makes much difference.

I run Opti2 @ 100:1 from he first time it starts and from then on, my engines run great, good power, good compression...blah blah blah....

I have no doubt that doing yours the way you have been advised by others here and you'll have excellent results if you have a good engine starting out, most dont do theirs the way I do and have the same results as I do, I re jet my carb and set my engine up the way I plan to run it from the beginning since I've found what has been a pretty universal tune and overall set for my climate and elevation here where I live, I dont baby mine much at all, I give them about 10-12 miles of easy to moderate riding and rhen its hammer down and I ride it like I plan to from now on @ 100:1 Opti2 mix.... not a single failure of any kind other than a loose nut or something like that.

I dont recommend anyone else do what I do but I have proven it to work for me so I continue what has worked for me.

With conventional oil I think a good break in period @ 24:1 is a good idea

Map
.wee.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
I'm beginning to think they suggest 16:1 to flush out all the junk they leave in the engine.

I don't disagree with any of the above posts.

My approach is to tune without a lot of jet changes. I have been using a semi synthetic lately good to 50:1. I have found my mix is currenty happiest at 40:1. My top end was a little lean, according to plug at 32:1. Then I adjust the needle for mid-ish range throttle as necessary. For me its easier this way.

The best approach in my opinion is to find every 2 stroke you have and tune them all to the same mix, of your choice so you have fresh gas more often. But, then you need some jets to play with. And take apart your carb a few times. There is nothing wrong with dino oil, but don't mix it thinner than it recommends.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
My bike runs best and is jetted for 32:1 i use full syn and go a little heavy on the oil because its a high rpm motor but had to go way up on the main jet to 74 to get her to run a tit bit rich on the flat no load...

With full systhetics ... Doesnt matter the brand ... At 32:1 my motor looks clean an showes only minor wear after 2500 miles and a year of riding cranking her open to 8500 +rpms...running a full port and polish , high comp, and a strait pipe

Remeber the leaner the mix the larger the jet u will need the ritcher the mix the smaller the jet and 16:1 is leaner than 100:1 .... Because 100:1 has more gas and les oil per volume

Last edited: