Nowhere to go?

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It's a pity, having an motorized bicycle and losing the motivation to ride it. A genuine misfortune.

In my case, viable 'entertainment' destinations are few. Such as commercial districts with shops I'd actually like to browse. Or residential neighborhoods that hold some interest. There are some such places around. But they are separated from me by either nasty traffic or steep inclines. And let's take note of bairdco's assertion that even places that would be viewed as entertaining by many lose some of their luster over time.

I have to conclude that you simply don't have available destinations that make the trip worthwhile. (You're not alone on that)

So do you have any other reason to ride? For me, the commmute gives me my reason. Whether motorized bicycle or pedal bicycle, it's better than driving. If commuting is an option for you, then that's what you ought to do.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I have never ever gone "joy riding" and I never will. Burn up gas for nothing? Why bother.

I always have a destination or 2 in mind, and I vary the route. Ha! So it's not really "joy riding"

It could be lunch 50 miles away or less than a mile to the corner grocery store, but I am always going somewhere for a specific purpose before I climb on or hop in.

The only exception is the ride around the block to test something new. But that's a test ride, not a joy ride - :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I read a lot and as such the local library is one of my favorite destinations. As luck would have it our library sits on the periphery of a beautiful park. There's a big lake and the Rocky Mountains are a backdrop. I ride to the library, about 6 miles from home, get a couple of books then ride into the park. I'll find a comfy place to sit and read, park the bike nearby and blow a couple of hours. Almost without exception someone will stop and ask about the bike and we'll have a long conversation. I've met some great folks that way; old and young.

Of course you have to keep in mind this is Denver Colorado and we have something here called, winter . So my library excursions are limited to spring, summer and fall. Autumn happens to be my favorite time. A light jacket and get home before the sun starts to set. The bike becomes not only transportation but a means to an end.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I rarely have a pre-ordained destination. The journey to where-ever I end up is the point of my throwing a leg over the bike. My bike is a 'freedom machine' in a sense.

Some of my best vacations have been the result of 'just going'......no thought of the route or endpoint. Having a chance to be relatively carefree is an addictive spice.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Maybe you're just tired of "that" motorized bicycle. How about coming up with some modification that will bring the old excitement back? I put a shift kit on an old build and it completely changed the character of the ride. It was exciting again because it was different. I enjoy upshifting to go faster and downshifting to check something out at low speed. Different handlebars or a different saddle might be enough. Or, as someone else mentioned, throw a knobby on the rear and take it off road for new sights.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks for the advice guys, I was able to make myself go for a ride http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=538591#post538591

Me and my China girl have been rejuvenated!

Now I want to tackle Kitt Peak with an average grade of 5.68% and a max of ten. Wondering how well she will do up the mountain?

My first, second and third motorized bicycle was all used to commute everyday to work. When I changed careers that was no longer an option for me to ride my motorized bicycles to work.

And yes, I do use my motorized bicycles to run errands, visit friends. But those are just short rides and I am a adrenaline junky.

So if I don't ride just for the fun of it, I start to wonder why even have a motorized bicycle?

I will continue to ride for fun and places that test my bikes and myself.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
all-in-all, this thread seems to really point out the diff between the hobbyists and them as need cheap transport