Need advice. Second build

GoldenMotor.com

Classing

Jun 9, 2012
Maryland
Hello all. Just completed a 24 inch cranny build for my son. I sure wish I would have found these forums BEFORE the build. Anyway he is 13, pretty small and lightweight so the cranny should be fine for him for now.
I ordered a kit for myself and am having trouble deciding which bike to put the engine on. My original intention was to put it on my panama jack wally world special but after poking around in here I am kind of worried that might not be such a good idea. I am around 220LBS. My question is should I go ahead with the panama jack or use the old trek that I also have? The panama jack is pretty much brand new and the trek is not. It is complete but has been left outside and neglected for a while. I am sure it wouldnt take alot to get it back in shape. Anyway sorry if I am asking elementary questions but I have no clue when it comes to bicycles. Thanks in advance and I look forward to any and all advice.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
How bad off is the trek? A little time spent will save you a lot of money.

If you like the way the trek looks, why not go over it and then mount up a kit?

BTW- Welcome to the forum!

Classing

Jun 9, 2012
Maryland
Thanks for your response. The Trek is a mountain bike and I havent had a chance to look at it today. To be honest I love the way the panama jack bike looks and I ordered a black engine just for it. I see I have had alot of views but only one reply. That tells me that I have alot of research to do! LOL Thanks again.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'd search the panama jack bike to see how easily the kit will mount....I don't have any experience with that bike or the trek, but I believe they are both relatively easy as far as the installation goes.

Yes, do a bit of research, and decide what you want. Post a few photos whan you get it done, and don't be afraid to ask for help along the way.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
build one of them an ride you wont regret it , although if you build the trek I would be assuming it has gears get a sbp shift kit an really have some fast fun !
Gary

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Dave and thegnu are both right. A Panama Jack is a Cranbrook with accessories on it. Hind sight being 20/20, I would have bought a Cranbrook and saved the money. I took all the "crappy accessories" off. Most either rattled or looked like crap. If you go with the Panama Jack (like I did), for God's sake, ditch the seat. It's horrendous.
Thegnu has the right idea. Get a bike with speeds, put a Chinese 2 stroke engine on it, and put a Sick-Bike-Parts shift kit on it. That's what I'm doing, and I can't wait.
I rode my buddy's bike that has a gears and a shift kit, and I immediately went out and bought a bike with gears. It's a lot of fun, and I strongly recommend it.

Just my $.02$

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I would put the motor on the bike that I deem the most sturdy. I know nothing of the Panama Jack bike, but my inclination would be the Trek would be the stronger bike. Even though it has lots of gears I find that I really dont change gears too much on my bike, since I use the motor for the most part and only really need one easy pedal gear to get rolling. So if the Trek has dérailleur problems from sitting outside it might not be a big deal, as long as you can get it set in one gear that is easy to pedal. BRAKES are what you should really be looking at, use the bike with better brakes and stronger rims, you're gonna need 'em....