Some help with centrifugal clutch install

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
You could grind the inside of the clutch, then test with the socket, grind and test again and again until you reach the same depth as the original gear.

If you are able to install the small cover, and nothing hits, then I would button everything up and call it a day.

Last edited:

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
But should I? The way I see it right now, the taper is also helping the clutch stay on. If I start girding that away, sure it will fit on completely, but at the same time, the taper will probably be gone, and the only thing holding it on will be the key. So I'm not sure what I should do.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If I am able to close up all of the covers without anything hitting or rubbing, then I consider the clutch installed and ready for use. So far, have not had any problems with any of the clutches slipping or any other problems.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
Ok I completed my CC install today, I took my time and it took me 3 hours. First I pull the small gear, left the woodruff key as is, grind the inside of the clutch a little bit to make it fit all the way in. Then I cut a notch on the clutch for the woodruff key, install the old clutch cover I only had to use 1 new gasket plus the old one, the old gasket is actually twice as thick as the new one. I didn't screw the 2 thread holes that are located behind the new CC, didn't have enough bolts. Then I install the new CC, tightened it down with the bolt using washer plus locking washer. The CC went all the way in of the taper. I push the bike to check for clearance and notice my CC housing is not perfectly round, it kinda wobbles? I guess bad quality control on these CC? I then installed the CC cover, thank God it fit! Then I ran into the main issue, the crank was hitting the new CC cover. This was the most troublesome part, I took out the pedals and using a pipe I cold bend the cranks. My crank is made of aluminum and that SOB is flexible! Keep in mind I did this all by myself so bending it and keeping the bike steady was a pain in the @ss! I actually pulled a muscle doing it but it was minor, hopefully. It would be much easier to bend it I had someone to help me hold the bike. I kept bending little by little until I finally got clearance, that was by far the hardest part of the installation. I am still missing 1 bolt on the cover and 1 oil drain hole on the other cover? The new CC only came with 1 freakin cover bolt! I need to run to the hardware store and get more bolts. I made a test run and it works great! See the pics during my installation, the pics are not uploaded in the order I wanted it to be, sorry.

Attachments

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
When you buy a centrifugal clutch kit, you are guaranteed to get the main mounting bolt and a removal tool.

Any other screws or bolts you get are a surprise gift and based on whatever the guy packing the kit grabs off of the floor.

In various kits that I bought, I have NEVER received all the bolts needed to complete the job, and I have never received the four bolts for the small cover.
Probably 50% of the kits do not come with the oil drain bolt.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
Hey Rohmell,

Thank you for all your help with the CC installation, with your help I knew exactly what to expect, what tools and parts to get and went to town with it! I hope Geoldr gets his done successfully. Thanks again.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
I just took a 4 mile ride and it was awesome! Now I can actually go slow at 5mph without any jerks! The only thing that sucks is my right side pedal feels weird since I bend the crank. I want to get a wide crank so it will make clearance of the CC. Do you know where I can get this?

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Yeah, a huge thanks to rohmell and gearnut. Without you guys this would have been really hard. Eventually ill finish my install, unfortunatly there is still tons of work to be done on the bike in general. I want to take it all apart, install wide crank, single speed conversion. Get new brakes, strip it completely and paint it, and yeah... lots of stuff!

Edit: Yeah get the wide crank from SBP. I think they are just sold out right now, that's why its not showing up on the site.

Side note, does anybody have the HD throttle from SBP? I want to get that, it looks good. When my friend crashed, he hit the throttle against the wall, and it broke inside and hasnt been returning properly, and I want to get that new one, and the rocker kill switch

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If your right pedal feels weird, then bend the left one to match, that will also give you clearance for a pull-start, if you ever want to try one of those out.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
Bending the left crank will just make it feel weird as well. The problem is the crank is not parallel to the bike, it's sticking out at an angle and that's why it feels weird. I just need a wider crank, yesterday when I took out the right side crank, the whole sprocket assemble was still attached to the crank. It doesn't seem like i am able to take out the sprocket, is this normal? After installing the centrifugal clutch I notice there are more vibration now, I'm assuming since the engine has added weight from the CC, it's imbalance and cause vibration. What do you guys think?

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Well, the way I think it works, is the chainrings are attached to the right crank. You can easy take them off, they are just attached by bolts. Heres a video

Mountain Bike Custom Gears & Parts : How to Remove Mountain Bike Chain Rings - YouTube

Sorry for the crappy picture, its tough to draw good circles on a trackpad

Also, about the vibrations. This is just a guess though. Since you cold bend it, without taking it off, i think you might have overstressed the bearings inside of the bottom bracket or something like that, and that's why your having those vibrations

Attachments

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
So the crank itself doesn't come apart as a piece by itself? If not how am I going to replace it with wider cranks?
The vibration is coming from the whole bike and the handlebars. It use to not vibrate like that before I installed the CC.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Well it can be a pieces itself, you just need to take off the chainrings. In one of your pics, I saw a part of a front derailleur, so I'm guessing you have a mountain bike. To install the wide cranks, you're gonna have to take off both cranks, and the bottom bracket. The SBP wide cranks use a 1 pieces crank, instead of a 3. Heres a video

Old-School bottom bracket, part two - YouTube

I don't have it, but judging from the pics on their site, the wide crank kit looks just like that

Oh, and for your vibrations. What were you saying about it not spinning straight?
Maybe when you expanded the taper, it's not perfectly even and that causes a problem? I'm not exactly sure, somebody with more experience then me would know more about that

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Bending the left crank will just make it feel weird as well. The problem is the crank is not parallel to the bike, it's sticking out at an angle and that's why it feels weird. I just need a wider crank, yesterday when I took out the right side crank, the whole sprocket assemble was still attached to the crank. It doesn't seem like i am able to take out the sprocket, is this normal? After installing the centrifugal clutch I notice there are more vibration now, I'm assuming since the engine has added weight from the CC, it's imbalance and cause vibration. What do you guys think?
Did you put a second bend up higher in your crank to 'level' the pedal?

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
Geoldr, thanks for the video thats very helpful, my bike is a hybrid and does have front and rear multigears. It has a 3 piece crank assemble so I'm not sure how I'm going to make it wider? There was no way I could have bend it like Rohmell did. It seems like I might have to go with a 1 piece crank, do they make 1 piece crank with multi rings?

Ctripps, there's no way I could bend the 2nd bend on the crank that I have. It's thick aluminum that's very flexible.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I would be scared to try bending the aluminum cranks, they would be more likely to snap than bend.
I remove my cranks and put then in a vise for bending, rather than bending them installed on the bicycle, that way there's no stress being placed on the crank bearings.