Help.....my throttle is sticking wide open.

GoldenMotor.com

Dimestore

Jun 24, 2011
Texas
greetings and salutations from East Texas. I have a 66cc Skyhawk motor on a Huffy Bike frame. The throttle keeps sticking wide open. This has happened several times.

Dimestore

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If you are using the NT carburetor, then you have tightened the carb intake clamp too much, and it has slightly distorted the shape of the cylinder in which the slide, well, er, slides.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Yup, just keep looking around on this forum, you will find the answers to your questions. Pretty soon, you will be helping others.

Dimestore

Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Rohmell......I just returned from Vietnam and took the bike out to see if the throttle was still sticking.....its still stuck wide open and is leaking gas from the carb. I tried making sure that it was only hand tight where the throttle cable enters the carb.
any advice?

Dimestore

PerryP180

Jun 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Loosening the clamp on the intake pipe is what I would try first. This might help too. I bought a second hand bike with an NT carb on it. The motor was rough running and would not idle but it got me around. One day I decided the throttle was too loose and adjusted the tension bolt. At this point the throttle started sticking when I would test pull it. I pulled the throttle cap off the carb and the previous owner had installed the barrel slide with the needle sticking up through the hole in the tension adjustment bolt(where the throttle cable slides into the top of the carb.) I installed it sticking down through the needle hole in the bottom of the carb. The motor now runs and idles great and I've had no throttle sticks. Seeing as the NT comes with no instructions I've seen, this could be an easy installation mistake.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
My NT carb would stick around WOT so I opened it up and found a burr on the carb wall where the barrel fits in, so with wet sandpaper 1000grit I sanded it down and VOILA! That fixed it didn't have a problem since. So if this helps or not good luck with the carb and safe riding.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I actually cracked my carb manifold overtightening, I don't have a macro camera, so I can't really get any good pics to show you, but it's right on top and noticeable.

I like to say this though - pull out the barrel, clean it off and put it back. If it sticks, do it again. And again, and again.

The cleaning is only to keep you calm while you repeat.