It made it to work.

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Aside from the motor kit which I took off of my mountain bike so I could return the bike to its original purpose The bike pictured below cost me a grand total of $12.94 to build. True if you figured in time at 15 cents an hour it probably cost more like $200.
Cost break down:

Frame and related hardware - Free, Craigslist and freecycle.org
New cables - $3.97
New tube - $3.97
Motorcycle grips - $1.00 yard sale
Motorcycle trunk and Seat back - $5.00
Goofy looking comfortable ride - Priceless.

I scored the motorcycle trunk and had to install it, now the back pack full of tools that I never leave home with out has a place for storage. The 20 inch BMX wheels cruise at about 15-20 mph with a 44t sprocket, with plenty of torque to haul my fat butt up any hill I find. Pedaling for any length of time with out swerving all over the road is near impossible, but it allows me to stay with in the NH laws as a "pedal assist" motor driven cycle.
usflg

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yep, them's working peddles officer. Sometimes I just feel like peddling the 10 miles to work everyday lol.

That wet bar? Sometimes you get thirsty after all that peddling.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Yes it was suggested by another to insulate my trunk, as it would fit two 6 packs with room to spare. I do have some left over styrofoam insulation from a another project and if I could get a compressor to run off of 6 volts...that would have to be another thread, "Running a refrigerator off of the white wire".

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
A freind of mine got pulled over bye a state trouper and he said in the state of NH anything with a motor needs to be registered period!!He had a bunch of laws with him and made him read them aloud and it kind of made sense to him.Now I got pulled over bye him this spring and told him the peddle assist law,I didnt need to be registered and my bike was 49 cc,he took some pictures and let me go .I have put over 500 miles on my bike back and forth to work,I leave very early in the morning and come home before he gets out so I have not run into him.Have you had any problems with the cops?The local town cop is fine with it and the rest of my ride but this statey lives in my town and I am going to keep rideing until I am told not to.
usflg
Would like to go for a ride with a few bikes in a safe place some day for fun.We should get together

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I have never had a problem with the police, the local cops just laugh as I drive by. Have not run into any State Troopers yet, but I cruise at about 15 miles an hour, and stay on back roads when I can. I know for boating if it has a motor it needs to be registered, but the NH laws do have a "motor driven cycle" section that is sufficiently vague, and I do travel with copy of my e-mail from the DMV which states that if it has pedals and is not a moped it requires no registration. Plus I purposely engineered my ride to max out at 20mph just in case the police want to give me trouble I can make the argument that it does not go fast enough to travel with traffic ergo no need to register.