New Ford Engine

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Ford plans to build it's tiniest engine ever

DEARBORN, Mich. -- It's going to be small enough to fit in a child's backpack, but Ford says its will be powerful enough to move a car.
The 1 liter three-cylinder engine will be the smallest Ford has ever produced. It will be an EcoBoost model, featuring turbochargers to pump up its performance.
"Some people would say that it's more suited to a motorcycle than a passenger vehicle," said Joe Bakaj, vice president of Ford's global powertrain division.

I think I agree with Joe. It might just work fine on a MAB !

I haven't been able to find any further info yet.

Does anyone know the mounting dimensions for this engine?
...I won't need the turbo(s) and efi. A mikuni should do well enough.
.wee.
rc

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Well myself being a fella that really like what Ford has been doing the last few years this is very interesting.......may do some research on this myself........

Thanks for the info on this.......rustycase

Peace

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Currently Ford's smallest engine available in the U.S. is the 1.6-liter, four-cylinder used in the Ford Fiesta subcompact. That engine has 120 horsepower and gets up to 38 miles per gallon on the highway.

Ford says the new three-cylinder engine would match that power but be more efficient. The engine has Ford's EcoBoost technology, which uses turbocharging, direct injection and variable camshaft timing to boost performance. It's also about 20 pounds lighter than the four-cylinder, which helps fuel economy.

"No one's ever built a three-cylinder engine quite like this," said Joe Bakaj, Ford's vice president of global powertrain engineering.

Three-cylinder engines are common in Europe and Asia, but the only one currently available in the U.S. is in the Smart Fortwo. The Fortwo has a 70-horsepower engine — the same as some snowmobiles — and gets 41 miles per gallon on the highway.

EcoBoost technology is currently available on four Ford products — the F-150 pickup, the Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT crossovers and the Taurus SHO sedan. Ford is adding it to the lineup for the Edge crossover and the Explorer SUV this summer. The starting price of the Flex SEL with EcoBoost is $40,080, or nearly $8,000 more than a Flex SEL with the base engine. It costs $4,400 to add EcoBoost to an F-150 XL.

Still, the option has been popular with some customers looking for fuel economy. Forty-one percent of individual F-150 buyers chose the EcoBoost option in May, the company said. Ford said there are currently 180,000 vehicles in North America with EcoBoost, which was introduced in 2009. Ford aims to have 1.5 million on the road globally by 2013.

Ford product development chief Derrick Kuzak said the company is exploring whether it could use EcoBoost technology in hybrid vehicles for even more fuel savings.

Ford also said Thursday it's developing its first eight-speed transmission, which will get up to 6 percent better fuel economy than its six-speed. General Motors Co. and Chrysler Group LLC have also said they're developing eight-speed transmissions, which are already available on luxury brands like Lexus and BMW.

Read more: Ford plans smallest engine ever - seattlepi.com

Smart Fortwo...
http://www.smartusa.com/comparevehicles/

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i heard the smart 4/2 has a diesel that gets 75mpg but cant get it in usa. real smart? like no HT in cali. real smart2? 41mpg that small a car= not that smart, 75mpg=smarter

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Part of the reason we don't get some of those great European diesels is our diesel fuel has too much sulfur in it. Mercedes worked their way around it by using a very expensive filter that requires frequent replacement, along with some other complicated systems built into the exhaust. Too expensive and cumbersome for their Smart cars! lol

i heard the smart 4/2 has a diesel that gets 75mpg but cant get it in usa. real smart? like no HT in cali. real smart2? 41mpg that small a car= not that smart, 75mpg=smarter

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
A lot of bull. I'm sorry, but my old Ford Festiva with a 1.3L 4 routinely did 42mpg with my teenage(not so conservative) driving in our hilly twisty WV roads. This garbage about 38mpg today when the Festiva dates back to 88 in the US is just plain stupid. It ticks me off to hear big car companies bragging/advertising about stuff like this like it's some achievement of modern technology. Oh, and my Festiva was N/A and carbed.

Oh, and I bet the "lookie lookie this engine can fit in a backpack" is said before the thing has even been developed at all and most likely one of the many "optimistic" design goals that won't happen.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I can understand why you are cynical, S.
We've been sold a bill of goods on many things through tricky advertising and general market manipulation.

I've always liked big block fire belching monsters... there's no substitute for cubic inches.
But i sure had an awful lot of fun with sports cars and beetles, too!

I wish Ford all the success they can earn.
They earned my respect, even more so, by not asking for a bailout at taxpayer expense.

...Have you seen where the fed's 6% interest in chrysler was just sold to fiat?
Maybe we'll get a morini sized motor out of chrysler next??? :)

We really need some back-to-basics utilitarian vehicles available on our market today.
...That are affordable !

If Tata can do it, we should also be able to.

Best
rc

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
all the compact cars in the 80's got at least 40 mpg or better , my 67 Volkswagen bug with a 35 horse motor and a single solex carb got about 60 miles to the gallon, the car companies tell us that 60 to 70 mpg is just not possible with gasoline, why ? because there is still oil in the ground to sell us , any of you still remember the special carb a fellow built called the "evaporator" back in the 70's oil crunch that allowed a 460 ford big block lincoln to achieve 60 mpg running on gas ? .bf.

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
Tom Ogle was one. I don't know of any proof of those magic carbs, though. I did a lot of research on those things a while back. Why aren't people building them now?
Tom Ogle ~ Vapor Fuel System

The ogle-izer seems like a simple enough thing to try to figure out. Recreate his first success(with the lawn mower) and see if that even works.

Last edited:

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
its not a urban legend as some suggest , i saw Mr Ogle on the tv driving his car in the 70's , you had to get it up to speed , then flip the switch to cut the evaporator and the water injector on , and it would hold its speed , to accelerate you had to flip it off and go back to the carb ...and i remember him saying it got 60 MPG average ...

here is a article ...

Fast forward to the 1970s, and the first of the gasoline shortages. In El Paso, young inventor Tom Ogle claimed that he got over 100 mpg in his “Oglemobile”, a Ford V8 equipped with his fuel vaporizing system. Articles in the El Paso Times reported on his invention including test drives of the Oglemobile. It also reported that a Shell Oil Co. representative asked him what he would do if someone offered him a very large sum of money -- reportedly $25 million. He said he wasn't interested and was going to bring his invention to market. Unfortunately, shortly afterward Mr. Ogle died. Reportedly he succumbed, either from a drug and/or alcohol overdose.

BGRooster1

Nov 4, 2010
Fond du Lac,WI
Chrysler and Fiat . That is a great combination .I can think of alot of great cars from both companies...........Oh wait . Maybe one or two from each in how many years?

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I still remember the 50 - 60 mpg I got from my 79 VW Diesel rabbit. So diesel 30 years ago was alright but now it is not? And technology has become so advanced that we can't do 50 mpg anymore in a car?

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Oh the Diesel Rabbit. Such a wonderful car <3.

But if you wanted an engine like this on a bike, I would think you could use something like a 2cyl 440 snowmobile engine. Not /as/ much power, but a little more practical size-wise.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I know 2 people personally that built a vaporizing system that worked great and got unreal MPG, they put it on an old 58 chevy pickup with a 235 6 cyl engine and drove it for many miles on a quart of gas, after they done it the took it all off and jus pitched it aside knowing that it would probably mean the same fate as Mr Ogle had if they tried to do anything with it........ it is fact not fiction for sure been ther seen it come togeher and seen it work....... but if anyone tries to put something like this on the market it will not be allowed.

If we just use good common sense we all know that many inventions have surely been made over the years that will allow very good MPG, we can put people in space and claim to "have put man on the moon" and the same basic design of an engine hasn't changed much sense the 40's & 50"s other than the electronics and computer controlled odds and ends, there are many great inventions on shevles somewhere that we will never see or hear about.....IMHO!

IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY AND THE POWERS THAT BE..... we need not kid ourselves about this fact.

Peace

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Can't wait to see what one of these modern miniature miracles will cost. I could probably buy a hundred HTs for the cost of one of Ford's engines. Is it worth it?
Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Can't wait to see what one of these modern miniature miracles will cost. I could probably buy a hundred HTs for the cost of one of Ford's engines. Is it worth it?
Tom
Cool yes.......worth it for what we would do with it......Naaaaaaaa!

Just my $.02 worth and now days I doubt it's even worth that...LOL!

Peace

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
my facts are not completely straight cause the memory gets a little foggy
with age, but there has been a score of vaporizing fuel systems ,and all worked , some using carbs , some not , which may have been one of the others i was thinking about in a earlier post , tom ogles was the most inventive , it did not have a carb , it ran strictly on vapors from a special gas tank and intake system , i guess kinda like a heated pump up Coleman lantern .