Electra Straight 8 3i

GoldenMotor.com

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
I own an earlier version of the straight 8, back when they used the chopper style forks on it, but I am sure the pertinant mechanics haven't changed. There are two major obstacles to mounting on of these kits on the straight 8. The first is the extra fat tires. The motor would need to be offset to the side in order for the chain to clear. The second obstacle is that the hub where the drive gear would need to connect is extra large so the large center whole in the drive gear would need to be made even larger.

BOTH of these obstacles could be overcome by using a shift kit and simply driving the bike through the regular chain (and give you three speeds to boot). In short, any solution will cost extra money.

This is on top of finding a way to get the engine to sit inside a "non-vee" shaped frame.

Once I identified these issues I gave up on the idea. In the end I built my first motorbicycle on a Electra Coaster 7D frame and it's still my main rider today, four years and four other builds later. Doesn't stop me from looking at the straight 8 or Rally Sport (another older fat tire Electra Cruiser) I own and wishing. The Rally Sport has the additional problem of a frame piece right where the motor would need to go.

If you do this, please please PLEASE post photos.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
I've ridden one. It's a nice bike, but way over priced.
Quality costs is my only reply. I bought mine used for $300. It once fell off the bike rack on the rear of my car at 55mph and bounced along the freeway. Luckily no one ran into it. The tires were slightly warped but the bike shop was able to straighten them. One of the peddles was bent a little and the forks were bent back just a little. Also the seat was torn.

That's all the downside. The bike was still in good enough shape that I was able to take it to the place I was heading and go on a four mile bike ride with it. The thing is built tough.

But to a certain extent you are correct. You're also paying a little extra for the "Electra" brand, similar to other companies like Harley Davidson, for example.

I own three electra's, one of them motorized and I personally think they're worth it, though I confess I got a good price on all of them as my ex worked at a bike shop.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Other than a funky chopper look, and a 3 speed hub what's so nice about it? I'm just asking.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I looked hard at one of these a couple years ago, when "Alehauler"s frame broke. I needed a frame to put my 2-stroke drivetrain in. My findings:

1) Rear dropouts are diagonal front-exit. I despise them even in a non-motored application.

2) The fat rear tires and odd frame take special motor mounts. We already know this.

3) Coaster brake = ugh. Shorty rear fender = useless.

All those combined, along with that ridiculous price broke the deal for me. Nice-looking bike tho, would love to see one with a 4-stroke and shift kit. Also, the front steering tube/gooseneck is very long. Aftermarket threadless forks would fit well, tho.

For the money, I feel Nirve offers more.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
For the money, I feel Nirve offers more.
I've never owned a Nirve, but I've looked at them long and hard and frankly, I'd tend to agree with that assessment. Another you might try is the Felt cruisers, which seem to take to motors much more readily.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Electra's, but I don't think they are easy to motorize. Aleman's comments are spot on as well about the drop outs and coaster brakes. You'll want better brakes at least, on a motorized bike.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I did consider this bike briefly also, but passed mainly because I like the look of a Switchblade better. They're $200 cheaper too, and have a disk on the front.

I finally decided I tear around going to fast all the time to have to always sit on the seat.

Marvis

Oct 5, 2017
I'm highly doubt anyone is still watching this post but I just wanted show you all that it is indeed possible with some extra work. Went through a few dremel bits to file out the sprocket to fit over my rear hub, then filed out between each spoke on the actual hub in order to fit the screws between each spoke (this was a very sketchy process but I pulled it off with a nice heavy duty dremel bit made for cutting metals. Then filed it by hand to the correct size). The longest part was getting the sprocket to fit the wheel without wobbling the chain off, but by tightening the chain to the correct tension and filing down the fenders I have managed to get the bike rolling great. Very minimal wheel rub even with the fat tires. If anyone is interested in this build let me know and I can give you some tips! Running a FlyingHorse 4-stroke pull start engine kit.

Attachments