Can a pedal sprocket be used on the motor side?

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have a budget build coming up on a 51 Schwinn bike with a HF motor. I'm planning to use an EZM tranny for it (which will come later when I can afford it) and am doing everything else on as low a budget as I can all the while trying to do the build well. I'm all tapped out financially right now, but want to get the bike ready for the motor and transmission. Much as I love the MM hub adapter and sprocket, I'll be doing the rag joint on this one and want to do it as well and as carefully as I can. I know it can be done well as it has by others. With the setup and gearing I have in mind I would like to use a 64 tooth sprocket on the motor side as the driven sprocket. It is a very nice one which came from a high end Schwinn exercise bike maybe thirty or forty years old... chrome and heavy metal. So here's the question... will the teeth of that sprocket encounter any problem running #41 chain? Are they compatible? If not, then back to the drawing board. If it is then I have to figure out how to drill holes to match the 2 stroke kit rag joint sprocket... assuming that sprocket is concentric to begin with. I can save a good bit of money using what I have on hand if this will work. Any suggestions on drilling out the new holes accurately? I don't have a drill press. Thanks as always for the good advice I find here.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Venice,
I figured that and was also thinking about clamping the two together with C clamps to act as a kind of template and drill guide. I would still use a punch and drill a pilot hole.
So, will a pedal sprocket work with #41 chain?
SB

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
anything is possible with a goal and the will, and yes the money as well. take your time and keep it kustom...rushing it or not having the whole picture in mind as of what you want to do before doing will result in poor quality.... for my setup here i wanted a nice looking sprocket as a pose to a solid piece of chinese metal-lol so i went and bought a nice cncd billet flame sprocket, same as on pedal side so i could having matching kustom sprockets.i took a flipflop hub with sealed bearings for $20.had the hole lathed out to fit snugg over the hub, then welded an adapter to the sprocket, taped the adapter with set screws to hold the sprocket from spinning.also i had it machined to where you have to heat the sprocket to fit over the hub for a nice tight fit. came out awesome now just needs polishing....

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Venice,
I figured that and was also thinking about clamping the two together with C clamps to act as a kind of template and drill guide. I would still use a punch and drill a pilot hole.
So, will a pedal sprocket work with #41 chain?
SB
They used to sell a drill bit (maybe ACE ) that has a small pielet point. So you can put it in the hole and it will drill the center first then fallow with the rest.(center point drill?). And you could maybe tape a level bubble on your drill?
As far as the 41 chain its the same pitch as the bike chain just a little wider.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey, SB. I have a couple of those huge sprockets and I adapted one to a moped hub and used it on my 8hp Briggs bike with 41 chain. It worked great but I still needed more teeth, so I took it off. Mounted with a rag joint should give a little room for adjustment if your new holes are a tad off. So I have an extra if you mess it up.